Thanks for the feedback, KSman and others. Here are my answers and follow-up questions:
---- LH/FSH is needed to determine where the problem is.
- I have a blood draw scheduled for 3/13 with results back on 3/27.
- I’ll ask for LH/FSH, DHEA-S, Estradiol, TT, FT, Free T3, and Free T4
- I had PSA test in Jun 2012: .6 (0-4)
Q: Any other tests that are a MUST HAVE this time?
---- E2 is way too high. You need liver data, AST, ALT. Problem could be there.
- AST-SGOT Jun 2012: 28 (0-40)
- ALT-SGPT Jun 2012: 32 (0-55)
Q: Is there a problem here? Should I get these re-tested?
---- How much DHEA are you taking?
- 50mg. Test results were Jun 2012: 117.2 (44-331) before supplementing, Sep 2012: 240 (44-331), Jan 2013: 480 (136-448). Dr wants me at 500-600.
---- Did DHEA increase E2?
- I did not get a baseline. Only had one test for Estradiol in Sep 2012 (3 months after starting DHEA sups).
- Will test on 3/13 and get report back on 3/27.
---- Read the advice for new guys sticky and be open minded about other pathologies.
- age: 50
- height: 73 inches
- weight: 280
- waist size: 42 inches
- more info as per sticky: I will provide in my next post
---- OTC and Rx Medications:
- DHEA 50mg daily
- Armour Thyroid 90mg daily
- Vitamin D3 10,000IU daily - Tests for Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy on Jun 2012 before sup: 22 (30-100), Sep 2012: 36 (30-100), Jan 2013: 51 (30-80)
---- Please see the ‘thyroid basics’ sticky and come back with history of iodine intake from iodized salt and vitamins. Check waking and mid afternoon oral body temperatures.
- Will buy thermometer tomorrow and report back. (See history of iodine intake below.)
---- Did you review iodine intake as part of your thyroid diagnosis? The concern is treating iodine deficiency with thyroid drugs.
My doc did not discuss iodine before prescribing Armour Thyroid. I add salt to nothing. I have no salt in the house. The only salt I get is in the processed food I eat or what is added by restaurants.
Q: Should I stop taking Armour Thyroid while I figure out iodine issues?
I have not been taking a multivitamin. A couple days ago I bought kelp tablets (225 mcg). I planned to start taking them after blood draw and talking with Doc next week about iodine dosage.
Q: Should I start taking a multi-vitamin? How can I determine kelp/iodine dosage requirements?
---- Inability to absorb T transdermals is very common with thyroid problems?
The first stick/batch of T-cream applied to thigh each night (and sometimes mornings after showering) seemed to work (morning wood and increased drive) but the next stick (a different batch) of T-cream seemed completely ineffective. No physical indication and labs showed a decrease in T. Doc was perplexed. Stopped cream Jan 22 2013.
I will hold off on T injections until I learn more about TRT and thyroid. But it definitely seems like I would need an AI.
Q: What else should I be considering?