T Nation

My TRT Experience - Opinions Wanted

Hey all. First post, new guy here. I’m 42, classic low T symptoms. I went on TRT for 2 yrs. 240mg test cyp, once weekly. My test stayed around 750-800. For some reason, my body needed a larger dose than most. I have a thick, full head of hair. I started losing on top, typical male pattern baldness. Decided to get off and try a “testosterone diet”. It doesn’t work. When I cycled off, did the HCG/Clomid protocol. Gave it 3 months, tested at 1 and 3. Stayed stable at 230. I feel like the choice really comes down to giving up my hair. My follicles were thinning (still thin) and hair was falling out like crazy. Going off helped and I also pinned sermorelin/ipamorelin blend. That helped as well. The idea of going bald really F’s w/my head. I’ve always had a really thick head of hair and the first round of TRT set that ball in motion.

I will assume with such a high dose and relatively low total T you are probably a high SHBG guy. In that case you’d want to inject more frequently. Do you have complete labs you can post? TRT should not cause balding.

I would think looking down the barrel of heart disease and cardiovascular disease would mess with someone’s head or a shorter lifespan since men with low T have a higher mortality rate than those with high normal testosterone.

I lost hair on 50mg twice weekly and regrew all hair I lost on 20mg EOD, smaller doses more frequently lowers DHT in some men.

What is your SHBG?

I’m glad you brought up SHBG. I’ve never considered it. Next time I see the doc, I’ll get a copy of the labs ( Next Tuesday ).

If you call they can usually email or fax the results. Or just old school snail mail them to you.

I just called. They didn’t test for SHBG? Just free Test.

Nizoral 2% every 3 days.

I have higher range DHT, and I have thinning hairs. The nizoral has helped a lot. And I wonder how much of it is because of lower my e2 also.

Is there a sticky or list somewhere of what tests I should request to get a complete picture?

I googled Nizoral and it’s anti-dandruff? How does it help? Does it have something to do with clearing oils off the scalp that mess with hair growth?

Ketoconazole is a topical DHT blocker.

I use it 3 x a week or so, and when I do I gently scrub my scalp with my fingers/nails, to get that oil/skin layer off…

If I go a few days without doing it, I get this thick sebum/dead skin layer on my scalp, and I have read that this accelerates hair loss.

Well, this thread was a precursor to me making a decision. Decided to get back on and accept it. First dose was today.

I have no idea if there’s a sticky but these are my favorite for overall mens health. If on TRT you can skip LH FSH since you will be shutdown and these will always be 0.

CBC (includes immune cells, red blood cells and hematocrit)
CMP-14 (Includes kidney and liver function, glucose and electrolytes)
Lipid Panel (LDL, HDL, Triglycerides)
Testosterone free and total (LC/MS assay with no upper limit)
Estradiol, Sensitive (LC/MS assay)
SHGB (Sex hormone-binding globulin)
DHEA-sulfate (Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate)
TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) 
Free T3 (Free Triiodothyronine )
PSA (Prostatic Specific Antigen)
LH (Luteinizing Hormone)
FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone)
1 Like

Included in this article

I had them test for SHBG. It was 41.

Had my first blood panel since starting TRT again. The numbers seem a little off ( low estradiaol, high serum ). I’m no expert. Any experienced willing to interpret please?

This was non-fasting btw.

Are you taking an AI?

Yes, 1mg arimidex the day after. After this blood panel, doc said they’re cutting the dosage (arimidex) in half.

Id stop taking it for good. You are crashed dude. This state is really bad for you. Also consider never going back on it again.

When you say “crashed” and “bad for me”, could you elaborate please? Lately, I’ve had a hard time leaning out and have had issues with energy. Mood has been sort of “blah”. I feel strong during workouts though.