My Transformation: The Never-Ending Cut

From top to bottom is about a year apart.

MOTIVATION

I basically decided after a family tragedy that I was sick of making excuses and sick of not being happy with how I looked. I’m a competitive powerlifter in the 198 class (1521 total, 450 bench in competition), and I was always the fattest middleweight at any meet. So from an objective standpoint, I simply wasn’t going to be able to perform my best carrying all that useless fat. And off-topic, I think the “fat leverage” argument is complete bullshit and everyone from 220 down benefits much more from being lean.

So my main motivation here was to recomp in a way that didn’t affect my performance. For me that meant a slow cut, and I did all my own diet programming throughout the process. I also am of the belief that ultimately we all have the potential to be our best coaches. When coaching yourself, there is no language barrier to try and overcome in describing how you feel, you just know it. The process takes longer to get good at, I’d say, but the ceiling is higher this way.

THE PROCESS

I followed an IIFYM approach throughout the cut, which lasted from May through the first week of January. This meant that no foods were restricted provided I hit my numbers, but I did take this time to really discover what foods worked for me.

My basic strategy was to initially just hit macros, and as I went along I would try to introduce a new “healthier lifestyle” variable. For me that included things like eating more green vegetables, consuming primarily very lean cuts of meat, making as much of my food myself as possible, minimizing artificial sweeteners, etc. the possibilities to “clean up” one’s diet are endless, and given the aggregate nature of chronic inflammation, I think this is the most logical approach to counter it.

I had at least one massive refeed every week, and for a period I was refeeding twice. I noticed that for me I could only tolerate the one and still get leaner, so that’s what I did.

In addition to IIFYM, I employed strategies that I considered to be the 10% to the 90% that is hitting consistent macros. The main players there were carb-cycling, intermittent fasting, shifting to a relatively low-fat diet, and nutrient timing.

To me, these mainly function as mental relief. It was a way for me to keep the diet “fresh” while still maintaining the willpower to move forward with it. I’ll say that I feel better having gone to a lower-fat diet, but there was a noticeable basement level of dietary fat beyond which I felt awful.

I introduced cardio around the halfway point, and started with 1 day of HIIT, 2 days LISS. I tried to increase my LISS time or intensity each time I did it, and did the same with HIIT. I’ve since gotten into the 4-6 range of days cardio/week, trying to balance HIIT and LISS.

ASSESSMENT

From photo 1 to photo 4 I went from 215 to 195. I was initially around 20% bodyfat and finished around 10%. My main assessment tool was the mirror, though I did caliper measurements a few times over the course of the cut. I don’t remember where my macros started, but they bottomed out at 250p/100c/45f and 250p/200c/45f on alternating days.

My basic strategy was to run a few weeks at a given level of macros, then tweak something, whether it be macros or introducing a new variable like carb-cycling. My meal timing changed to accommodate my ability to train.

CONCLUSIONS

The scale is an awful tool for non-beginners to gauge progress
Eating nutritious foods makes the body feel incredible
Cardio makes the body feel incredible
Being lean is way better than the alternative
There is more than one way to diet, just do what is sustainable for you
There is no reason you can’t get stronger while cutting, especially in the initial phases

MOVING FORWARD

My profile pic is 3 weeks into the reverse, and I’m currently 5 weeks into it. Current macros are 270p/300c/65 fat. My reverse has been 20g c added on Monday to the weekly macros, and 5g fat on thurs. I replaced that with 20g protein one week, and I’m going to keep fat at 65 for the time being. I’ll keep adding calories until I start gaining weight and belly fat, at which point I’ll stop adding and maintain through my next meet in April. My goal is to push calories as high as possible without getting fatter, then shred for summer after I feel recovered from the meet. I’m taking a weekly abdominal caliper measurement to keep myself honest. I’m currently at 8-9mm and want to keep that under 10.

TRAINING

As I said, all self-programmed. It’s basically high frequency on the competition lifts and is pretty much a DUP program periodized as I saw fit. It’s detailed in my log much better than I can explain here.

Awesome, man. A ton of great info.

Fantastic job! Congrats.

Thanks fellas!

One thing I’d like to add is that the reverse diet is infinitely harder than the cutting diet. I got used to feeling depleted and crappy, then I’m suddenly getting more calories consistently, but only a little. Those first couple weeks of the reverse were the hardest of the whole process, and it took every ounce of discipline I had not to go crazy with eating. I’ve actually lowered the frequency of cheats to once every 10-14 days since starting the reverse to try and prevent any uncontrolled binging.

I’m happy to field any questions I didn’t cover fully, as well.

great job

some questions if that’s ok

how many days per week did you lift/do cardio?

what type of cardio was most productive (timing, type, duration, etc)?

what did you use to measure progress if not the scale?

are you natural?

what if any intra protocol did you follow?

which diet strategy was most effective (IF, carb cycling, etc)?

hope you don’t mind, cheers

Since you were actually so precise with controlling your macros, how much did your actual food/menu choices change daily? Were you pretty much eating the same meals every day?

Nice work man, and to what LoRez asked. What does a typical day’s food include?

Nice lighting effect in the last one brah…

*Lol, just kidding. Very impressive NoLongerHeavyButMoreImpressiveTriple

Great job!! -

Just curious how you determined or set on a daily caloric intake level (looks like low 2000s if my math is correct) and what the caloric intake was on the refeed day?

[quote]TheCB wrote:
great job

are you natural?

[/quote]
6x weekly lifting, 4-6 cardio

Best for body comp was extremely high intensity for 15-30 seconds and a lot of rest between rounds, and for as many as I could handle. Recovery is tough from those though.

I used the mirror primarily, but that was contingent on honest assessment. I took my bodyfat with calipers a few times throughout. My lifting belt was also a great indicator…had to drill two new holes.

Only drugs I used were (legal) stims. Ephedrine/yohimbine in particular. Can elaborate if you’d like.

Occasional whey intra, but usually I just ate before I worked out and let that take care of it.

Carb cycling probably, but none of those were as important as macros. I will say that fasting is a great way to limit the damage of cheats. I usually fast all day and eat in a window for cheat meals.

Will answer more after work :slight_smile:

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:

[quote]TheCB wrote:
great job

are you natural?

[/quote]

Best for body comp was extremely high intensity for 15-30 seconds and a lot of rest between rounds, and for as many as I could handle. Recovery is tough from those though.

I used the mirror primarily, but that was contingent on honest assessment. I took my bodyfat with calipers a few times throughout. My lifting belt was also a great indicator…had to drill two new holes.

Only drugs I used were (legal) stims. Ephedrine/yohimbine in particular. Can elaborate if you’d like.

Occasional whey intra, but usually I just ate before I worked out and let that take care of it.

Carb cycling probably, but none of those were as important as macros. I will say that fasting is a great way to limit the damage of cheats. I usually fast all day and eat in a window for cheat meals.

Will answer more after work :)[/quote]

great cheers

yes please elaborate on the stims - amounts, when introduced etc

can you give an example of the hit cardio ive done similar to you and find it hard to be strict with rest periods lol

when do you do cardio (am, post weights?), any morning cardio?

thanks for the answers planning a cut myself so this is a great help.

Its crazy how much bigger you look being 20 lbs lighter.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Since you were actually so precise with controlling your macros, how much did your actual food/menu choices change daily? Were you pretty much eating the same meals every day?[/quote]

Glad you asked that because I meant to mention it. Yes, I eat mostly the same things with minor variations. I typically fast before training, but will occasionally eat egg whites/rice/peas if I have to lift later in the day. My daily food intake is 1-1.5 pounds of chicken breast, 2/3 pound costco 95/5 turkey burgers, Ezekiel bread, broccoli, sweet or regular potato, green beans, kale, and fats in the form of olive oil, coconut milk, grass-fed butter, and Nutella. I also eat a lot of fruit but vary it.

Since my increase in carbs and fat, I’ve been eating rice more, including breakfast cereal in my Greek yogurt, making pizza concoctions with flatbread, protein pancakes, etc. I actually post most of that sort of thing with recipes on my IG account. But having extra calories is giving me more leeway now, though my base is still the same.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Nice lighting effect in the last one brah…

*Lol, just kidding. Very impressive NoLongerHeavyButMoreImpressiveTriple
[/quote]

Bahaha dat downward lighting tho…I MEAN I DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT

[quote]JR249 wrote:
Great job!! -

Just curious how you determined or set on a daily caloric intake level (looks like low 2000s if my math is correct) and what the caloric intake was on the refeed day?[/quote]

I actually had done cuts of 6-8 weeks before, so I had an idea of my macros already. I just subtracted 300 cals or so from carbs and fat and went from there. But there were multiple adjustments in there, so I didn’t start with the cals that low.

If you want to start a cut using this method, I’d recommend at least 2 weeks of tracking food intake with normal intake to find a baseline.

My refeed days usually were in the 4-6000 range.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Its crazy how much bigger you look being 20 lbs lighter. [/quote]
Amen, man. And thanks. But this has definitely taught me to throw scale weight out completely other than to stay around my weight class.

[quote]TheCB wrote:

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:

[quote]TheCB wrote:
great job

are you natural?

[/quote]

Will answer more after work :)[/quote]

great cheers

yes please elaborate on the stims - amounts, when introduced etc

can you give an example of the hit cardio ive done similar to you and find it hard to be strict with rest periods lol

when do you do cardio (am, post weights?), any morning cardio?

thanks for the answers planning a cut myself so this is a great help.
[/quote]
I introduced ephedrine sometime between the second and third photos. I started at 12.5mg E/100mg C 2x daily to assess tolerance, then doubled after a little while. I never got to 3 doses. First was always with a workout, but I usually also had coffee in the morning before that. I experimented with yohimbine as an E replacement for one of the doses, but I hated it. EC made me feel really good and didn’t have any adverse effects aside from a mildly inflamed prostate, but yohimbine wreaked havoc on my heart. At 15mg Y/200mg C I nearly passed out during LISS. But everyone will respond differently to different stims, so always introduce them at well under the highest recommended dosage and increase slowly. Stims aren’t something to be taken lightly.

HIIT would be something like sprints, sled pushes or dead tread sprints. Try timing your recovery periods, but start with something you know you can do. With true HIIT, you go as close to all out as you can, then take as much recovery time as you need to go all out again. That might be up to 5 minutes, even, so initially it’s best to give yourself more time than you really need. I do HIIT after lifting and LISS before lifting, and I’m usually fasted for LISS.

I have some important questions for you:

1. Who is your favorite lifting buddy from this site?

2. How often do you have to ask for an extra serving of chicken when eating out at restaurants?

3. How do you feel about me basically stealing all your training ideas when I make my splits?

But serious guys, these pics don’t do him justice. HT here looks 220 IRL and is lean enough to be be on #TeamDickSkin at this point.

Impressive HT.

I learned a few tips reading your advice, thanks!

I’m on more flexible dieting approach now since January 1. Mentally and physically I feel a lot better. I was using some form of elimination type dieting for the past 14 years and since taking the flexible dieting approach (or IIFYM or whatever) psychologically I am much happier. Even though it’s only been about 6 weeks I’ve been cooking more (a lot more), preparing myself for eating out with family and friends, getting back to lifting after almost 2 years focusing on martial arts, varying my foods (and like you not varying them too much, i’m working towards discovering the foods that work for me performance, satiety, preparation and taste wise). I have not been good with cardio, I will need to step that up. I am getting advice from a physique preparation coach. It looks like you developed this plan with your experience and knowledge making this even more impressive. Cheers.

nice work! Inspiring stuff