My Training Week

Hi everyone. I read this site a lot, but almost never posted. I’ve been lifting fairly serious for about year or so. I’m 23, 6’1 and 192lbs. The thought occured to me to post my current training week, and see if anyone has some good advice to offer. I’ll post weights with it, not because they are at all impressive, but so the relationship in strength between my different lifts can by guaged. This is last weeks log. For the last 10 weeks I’ve been managing to increase my main lifts every week and usually assistance ones too. My deadlift in particular increased 22.5kg in 10 weeks.

Monday

Bench Press: 75kg X 5 5 5 5 5
One and a half rep Bench: 60kg X 4, 4, 4
Tate Press: 15kg X 10, 17.5kg X 7
Barbell Curls: 45kg X 10, 8, 6
Lying Barbell Pullovers: 35kg X 5, 4
No. 2 COC Gripper: right hand 5, 4 left hand 3, 3 partials

Wednesday

Squats: 5 reps of 60kg, 80kg, 90kg, 100kg then triples of 110kg, 115kg and 125kg
Front Squats: 65kg X 8, 8
Seated Leg Raise with dumbell on ankles: 2.5kg X 10, 10

Friday:

Dumbell Shoulder Press: 27.5kg X 5, 5, 5
Speed Bench Press: 45kg X 3,3,3,3,3,3
Bent Over Side plate lifts: 5kg X 10, 10
Crunches: 10kg X 10, 10

Sunday:

Deadlift: 5X60kg then triples with 90, 100, 110, 115, 117.5, 120, 125
Good Mornings: 65kg X 5,5,5,5
Tbar Rows: 42.5kg on lifting end of bar X 8, 8, 6
Russian twists with 2.5kg 10,10,10

I’d like to increase my bench numbers as I’ve had a goal of 100kg single for a bit too long now. I also want to continue my progress in deadlifting and raise my squat by a lot. The problem i have with bench and squat is that i have no spotter and no safety gear, just a bench with racking arms and some free standing squat stands. I’ve never thankfully failed a squat but that means to me i must be training considerably below potential. I’ve failed max benches a few times but i just push the bar off to the side and then wriggle out from under it lol. I feel things are going well, and I dont expect super fast results, so i’m not posting this because i personally feel like there is something wrong. I know how much i need to eat, and i generally do. I sleep well and i train pretty regularly. Like i say its just out of interest, to see what more experienced lifters and others like me say.

Thanks,
Charlie

You have very good grip strength in comparison to the rest of your numbers.

Yeah, its always been pretty good. I sometimes read people saying things like ‘I wrap my wrists on chins as my grip is the first to go’. I wish my upper body were strong enough to outlast my grip lol. Same with deadlifts, never needed to use straps, but perhaps thats because i cant lift that much yet

Ya, I train with the COC #1 and can close it for about 12 reps max on my right and 10 on the left. My numbers in the squat deadlift and bench are very similar to yours but I doubt I could close the # 2 for reps because I hear you need to be able to close the # 1 for about 20 reps befor you can get the #2.

I found that I needed to be able to do 15 reps before I could close the No.2 once i could do that, the reps came quite quickly, although i have hit a bit of a plateau with them now. I think wrist curls, plate pinches and the rolling thunder are the way forward if I want to see new improvements in my grip strength