my training schedule now and soon

okay heres my current training schedule, yes, i know its flawed and yes i know that theres more things that i need to be doing but i’m also going to post my proposed new workout schedule… (also: i realize that i dont have abs in there anywhere, thats what i plan on addressing in my future schedule)

now:

SUNDAY:
speedskating practice (for those who don’t know, speedskating is a mix of a cardio and leg/lower back, but mostly cardio)

MONDAY:
chest, biceps, triceps

TUESDAY:
AM - traps, forearms, calves
PM - quads, hams, erectors (squats, deadlifts)

WEDNESDAY:
AM - delts, lats
PM - more speedskating

THURSDAY:
PM - quads, hams, erectors

FRIDAY:
chest, biceps, triceps

SATURDAY:
OFF

the only problem i really see with my current schedule is from tuesday-thursday, my legs are constantly getting fried simply because i’ve just started having speedskating practice on wednesdays so that definitely threw a monkeywrench into my routine.

new proposed routine:

SUNDAY:
speedskating

MONDAY:
PM - quads, hams, erectors (speedskating doesn’t fry my legs so i’m pretty sure i’ll be able to do skating on sundays and leg workouts on mondays w/out overtraining)

TUESDAY:
AM - chest, biceps, triceps
PM - abs

WEDNESDAY:
AM - delts, lats
PM - speedskating

THURSDAY:
AM - chest, biceps, triceps
PM - quads, hams, erectors

FRIDAY:
PM - off

SATURDAY:
off

let me know what you think and any suggestions. thanks for taking your time to help me out.

What distance speedskating do you compete in?

Whether it be long or short, neither of these programs you listed will help you.

If bodybuilding is your ultimate goal, and you so happen to skate now and then, I’d still say your program is flawed: Do to Overreaching

When you designed your program, it looked like you dissected a human anatomy chart and place equal importance on all units. Again, IMHO flawed.

One problem I see with your new program is that you only have one day of rest for the chest and arms. I would think that if you are to work them out twice a week that you might need at least 2 days of rest in between.

If you’re really aiming for “speed” in your speedskating then it would probably be best to do your leg workouts on those same days. Do the weight training after your speed-skating work. This will allow you to focus on speed and let your legs recover better throughout the week. If your ofcus is more on hypertrophy and you’re only speed-skating for cardiovascular activity then you could do the speedskating on the following days after your leg workout to promote better recovery. Hope this helps.

chrismcl I don’t know if I should even help you out. Especially, after the last comment you made to me in decline VS incline.

But, I will try and guide you anyways. First of I agree w/ Die Nadel. None of the programs you listed will work if you optimal goal is speed skating.

If you your goal was bodybuilding then it might.

I would also suggest you to put this on Liar Ice Dog for Christian to answer since he trains a lot of athletes.

What are your goals? Are you an athlete, or are you just using the skating for cardio?

Hey, thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I am going to assume since you’re from Buffalo and going to school in Canada you must be playing hockey or some other ice sport. Anyway I believe I am going to give you advice w/ the notion that speed skating is the priority right now, otherwise you would not have mentioned it… Why not do a big leg day on Sun & Wed w/ your speed skating sessions. Add something like low rep box squats with max weight. On Mon & Thr do a King style program splitting back and chest in a horizontal push/pull, then vertical push/pull. I would forgo arms right now and stick w/ basics. The general mass accumulation will add to our arms anyway, or at least provide a base later, when speed skating is over and you can resume a bodybuilding program, such as the one you suggested above. However, right now I would focus on the basics.

if you were juiced to the nads and had nothing to do in life but prepare for the Olympia, I’d say you’re on the right track.

i’m doing the speedskating for both reasons, to help my cardio as well as hopeful competition in the next couple years. doing speedskating and leg workouts on the same day isn’t feasable considering that i’d be waddling everywhere for the next few days. also, doing leg day and then speedskating the next day isn’t an option considering that my legs would feel like they do today (2 days after speedskating and leg workouts the day before which was a bad decision). i think that reversing the speedskating w/ the leg day would be good because doing speedskating and then legs the next day would be fine but leg day and then speedskating the next day is enough to be overtraining.