My Training Program

Okay, I’m fairly new to lifting, so I thought I’d post my current workout program here for comments.

I’m 6’0 and 155 lbs. I’m looking to gain mass and strength.

Anyway, I’ve been tweaking my training program over the last 4 weeks, and this is what I’ve come up with:

4 days a week, 2 lower + arms, 2 upper

Sunday: Lower

1. Deadlift or goodmorning (I’m new to both these exercises, so I’m not going heavy yet)
  2. RDL
  3. Box squat (or front squat)
  4. Abs
  5. Barbell curl / skull crusher superset

Tuesday: Upper

1. Military press (dumbbells)
  2. Incline bench (dumbbells)
  3. Flat bench (dumbbells)
  4. Dumbbell rows
  5. Dumbbell pullovers
  6. chin / dip superset

Thursday: Lower

1. Squat
  2. Sumo DL
  3. RDL
  4. Abs
  5. BB curl / skull crusher superset

Friday: Upper

1. Bench
  2. Dips
  3. Tricep extensions (elbows out)
  4. Lateral raises
  5. Lats (machine rows or pullups)

I try to vary the set/reps ranges. 4x6, 3x8, 2x12 are common. Also I do this thing where I work up to a max triple, and then drop 10% of the weight and max out, then drop another 5% and max out again.

On off days I’ll be doing abs and maybe some light bodyweight exercises for recovery (nothing more than 30% of my max reps).

I’m thinking about doing some sprints on my off days.

Oh yeah, and I’ll be sure to eat lots.

Comments?

I don’t get it?

You’re new to lifting and you decide to design a program that’s fairly high frequency. On top of that, you’re consistenly maxing out with triples and strip setting that. This doesn’t make much sense.

Reminds me of when teachers would make everything due at the end of the semester, they called it “giving us enough rope to hang ourselves”

It seems like you have enough information to hang yourself, which is a hell of a tough neck exercise.

It’s good that you’re getting your skinny ass into the gym and trying to put some weight on, but you would probably be a lot better off at doing something like Chad Waterbury’s Big Boy Basics and utilizing some specific type of progression (which this has).

You’re sort’ve on the right track, but varying things up too much can often times be a hinderance, not a help.

good luck, and keep learning.

Can’t speak for anyone else and I also don’t use alot of volume(usually work in the 1-6 rep range) but there is no way I’d ever be able to handle squats and deads in the same workout with the type intensity that I’m used to.I’d be burned out.

Also I’d can the drop sets.Never been a huge fan of them myself.

Your workout doesn’t look too bad. I like how you do the most important exercises first (ie. Squats, DL, Bench). Not bad design for someone who is fairly knew to lifting. A couple of things you might want to consider:

1. On you Tuesday upper, it would be a good idea to do dumbbell rows first before MP. Your chins and pull-ups are also as important as rows, if not more so, so don’t save them till your tired at the end of your workout.
  2. Be sure to incorporate some dynamic flexibility stuff to warm up before you train each session.
  3. Stretch as much as you can, and be sure to get as much rest as possible.
  4. Might not be a good idea to do front squats/box squats on a DL days. I am sure you will realize, you’re DL, and Squat days are going to take the most out of you. So be sure you still have energy to make the most of these lifts.
  5. I would stick to low reps, 5x5-4x4, stuff like that, so you can build strength. You will need this whether your goal is PL, or BB.

What does your diet look like?

Hope this helps,
B

[quote]Bloodandiron wrote:
Okay, I’m fairly new to lifting, so I thought I’d post my current workout program here for comments.

I’m 6’0 and 155 lbs. I’m looking to gain mass and strength.

Anyway, I’ve been tweaking my training program over the last 4 weeks, and this is what I’ve come up with:

4 days a week, 2 lower + arms, 2 upper

Sunday: Lower

1. Deadlift or goodmorning (I’m new to both these exercises, so I’m not going heavy yet)
  2. RDL
  3. Box squat (or front squat)
  4. Abs
  5. Barbell curl / skull crusher superset

Tuesday: Upper

1. Military press (dumbbells)
  2. Incline bench (dumbbells)
  3. Flat bench (dumbbells)
  4. Dumbbell rows
  5. Dumbbell pullovers
  6. chin / dip superset

Thursday: Lower

1. Squat
  2. Sumo DL
  3. RDL
  4. Abs
  5. BB curl / skull crusher superset

Friday: Upper

1. Bench
  2. Dips
  3. Tricep extensions (elbows out)
  4. Lateral raises
  5. Lats (machine rows or pullups)

I try to vary the set/reps ranges. 4x6, 3x8, 2x12 are common. Also I do this thing where I work up to a max triple, and then drop 10% of the weight and max out, then drop another 5% and max out again.

On off days I’ll be doing abs and maybe some light bodyweight exercises for recovery (nothing more than 30% of my max reps).

I’m thinking about doing some sprints on my off days.

Oh yeah, and I’ll be sure to eat lots.

Comments?[/quote]

Forgot one of the most important.
6. Focus on 90-100% form