My Training Log

First a quick introduction:

I am now using a basic block/linear periodization Russian program with a few modifications that I have made. The original program is this:

Monday- bench/squat
Wednesday- deadlift
Friday- squat/bench

With volume increasing with the same intensity for the first four weeks, and then volume decreasing and intensity increasing the last 5 weeks; the alternate bench and squat days stay the same intensity and volume, so the volume and intensity is different on each day throughout the program.

However, I changed the program to look like this:

Sunday- bench
Monday- squat
Tuesday- press
Thursday- deadlift
Friday- bench
Saturday- squat

With the same basic rep/set schemes for all of the lifts. I feel like this layout will help me increase my overall training frequency while allowing me to recover with no problems.

I am part of the University of Iowa Powerlifting club, and have been involved in powerlifting for a few years. I lift in the NASA federation, and currently hold the squat, deadlift, and total American records in the 198lb weight class, teenage division. My personal bests include a 479 squat, 287 bench, 551 deadlift, and 1311 total.

My training history includes conjuage periodization, 5/3/1 with varied assistance templates, starting strength, and my own basic programs.

I have a log on our club’s forum, which is at:

We also have a new website, which is currently under construction, but feel free to visit:
www.iowapowerlifting.com

Our new website has articles, videos, team member bios, and links to all sorts of good shit. Every time you click on the site, we can get money for the club, which will be going towards equipment purchases and meet fees. We also have a youtube channel:

And I have my own youtube channel as well, in which I post a video or two each week on my training:

Anyway. On to the logging. I will go ahead and post my last week and a half or so of training sessions, as well as a couple of my recent training videos. I’m currently about midway through the cycle.

8/27- squat #6

Squat- 2x5@350
Sumo deadlift- 405x3, 405x1.5
GHR/reverse hyper/back raise superset- 3x10

Notes: Squats felt pretty fast. On the second set at 405 of sumo pulls, I tweaked my left glute a bit. I decided that this far out of the meet, I don’t need to risk anything, so I called it a day for that. I only did bodyweight for GHR’s on the first superset, to make sure my glute was gonna be okay, and then I added a 25lb plate for the next two.

8/28- extra workout

Foam rolling/tennis ball work/general mobility work- lots
Squats- 8x5@135
Band pull aparts- ~200 w/monster mini band
GHR- 3x10
Pullups- 3x5 pronated grip, 2x5 close neutral grip
Cable curl/tricep pushdown superset- 3x10

Notes: Found out I can do the entire stack for tricep pushdowns.

8/29- bench #6

Bench- 2x5@205
Blue slingshot- 275x3
Black slingshot- 315x2
High incline bench- 3x3@185
Pullups- 11, 5, 3
Facepulls- 5x15, 5x3

Notes: Good god you can get so much out of this black slingshot. It’s almost like benching in a shirt. I used a semi-pronated grip for pullups, it’s definitely a grip I’m not used to. The triples for facepulls at the end were going as heavy as I can, almost to the entire stack, with zero rest between sets.

8/31- deadlift #6

Deadlift- 2x5@410
Pause squat- 3x365, 3x380*
Barbell rows- 5x3@215
GHR +10lb/BW reverse hyper/back raise superset- 3x10

Notes: Deadlifts were fairly fast. The asterisk on the 380 set of pause squats was because I didn’t pause them very much, or at all, really. You can make your own judgement when you see the video. I used straps for the first time on rows…mother of god. Never again will I row strapless.

9/3- Squat #7

Squat- 2x5@365
Deficit deadlift- 485x1, 405x5x1
GHR- 3x10+25lb
Barbell rollouts- 3xIdidn’tfuckingcount

Notes: Most people try to rest or something when they have a strained glute. I squat and pull deadlift PR’s. There were some fine lookin female specimens in the gym today. I might have to go late at night more often. This one chick (she was definitely on some sort of athletic team, but I couldn’t tell what) was mirin my squats.

Hopefully I will remember to update this.

9/4- extra workout

Low box squat- 6x5@135
Band pull-aparts- ~200
Neutral grip pull ups- 20 total
GHR- 3x10
Face pulls- 5x15
Dimel deadlifts w/chain on neck- 3x5, 1x10@225

Notes: Just another extra workout. The chain around the neck on the Dimel deadlifts serves the same purpose as a SSB does for squats or good mornings; the weight pulls the body forward a bit. I fully expect to have a sore upper back tomorrow.

9/5- bench #7

Bench- 2x5@215
Close grip bench +chains- 205x5
Pullups- 9,3,3,2
Face pulls- 5x15

Notes: I set up the chains so they added weight pretty quickly coming off the bottom, it was definitely not what I was used to. I need more tricep volume. I’m thinking about adding in a second bench day.

Welcome to the forums mate, and your work outs look solid and a good grind, hope you meet your goals…and subbed

From Wednesday:

Oh, and speaking of goals:

I’m currently training for the NASA Iowa Regionals on October 27th, in Des Moines. My goal is to total 1300. I am also hoping to find a meet before I ship to basic training on January 14th.

9/7- deadlift #7

Deadlift- 2x5@425
Paused squats-
350x4x1
365x2x1
385x1x1

Barbell rows- 5x3@225
Glute-ham raises- 3x10+25lb
Block pulls- 475x2x1

Notes: This was actually the first time I’ve tried block pulls. They were just below the knee cap. My rows have now reached high school girl strength.

9/9- Press #8

Press- 2x8@130
DB bench- 3x5@85’s, 2x5, 1x9@90’s
BB rows- 6x5@200
Band face pulls- 12x10

Notes: This obviously isn’t my actual #8 press workout, but I’ve decided to add in a dedicated press day to my program. Because I’m adding it in so late in the program, I’m just trying to get it up to speed until it’s caught up to the other lifts, which should be by next week or the week after. So, I’m doing a week of 2x8, a “week” of 2x5 (this will actually be done this week as well, I’m going to go ahead and press twice this week to get it caught up quicker), then 2x3, then I should be all caught up.

This new press day will give me a chance to do bench variations heavier than if I were to do them after my main bench sets on my dedicated bench day. Also, I will be able to focus on my press variations on my bench day.

9/10- squat #8

Squat- 2x5@380
Snatch grip deadlift- 6x1@365, 3x1@405
GHR- 3x10@+25lb
Barbell rollouts- 3x10

Notes: I don’t remember how many singles I did at 365, once I go through the videos, I’ll have a count. I think it’s time to add more sets for GHR’s. I use knee wraps for the first time this cycle. They were very loose and more for getting used to squatting with them again. I will gradually tighten them as I go further along this cycle. I ordered new wraps this weekend; I’ll be saving them for max attempts and competition, and using my old ones in the gym.

9/11- bench #8

Bench- 2x5@225
Medium-incline bench- 3x2@200, 5x1@210
Pullup x3/band pull-apart x10 superset- x10

Notes: Still need to pause more. My incline is less shitty now, though.

9/13- Press
Press- 2x5@145
Slingshot bench- 275x2, 315x1, 330x0
Barbell rows- 5x3@225
Shrugs- a fuck ton
Face pulls- two fuck tons

Notes: Tested out my new wrist wraps today. These fuckers are like casts. The 330 attempt was way out of the groove of the slingshot. I did get a bit of decent tricep work with it, though.

Also, my phone will not connect to the schools wifi at all lately, and that’s the only way it will upload videos to youtube. So, no new videos until I can figure out what’s up with it.

9/14- deadlift #8

Deadlift- 2x5@445
Paused squats- 405x1, 425x2x1

Notes: I left after these two lifts because I felt like absolute shit. The pulls were glacial, and I just felt like shit the entire time. The squats were fast, but I was told I was about 1/2" high on the second single at 425, don’t know where I was at for the first. I did try out my new wraps for the first time, though. Once they’re broken in and can stretch a bit more, I should be able to get plenty out of them.

Pretty kickass workouts you got. I’m a NASA lifter as well…just one meet so far, but doing the unequipped nationals in Dallas in November. What kind of weight do you use on your facepulls?

Also, I read through Kyle Keoughs log on sherdog every now and then. At least I already know when I move up to the 148 class that I’ll never set any records…lol.

One thing I’ve noticed is that both you and Kyle don’t seem to do any quad dominant work. I was thinking quad strength was important to the raw lifer…maybe not so much? Is this how it is for most of your other lifters as well?

Definitely subscribing! Keep up the good work.

9/16- Bench #9

Bench- 2x3@230
Wide grip press- 6x1@175, 1x8@135
Pullup/face pull superset- a bunch

Notes: The last set of pressing was with a three second hold at the top, I’m trying to work on my stability at the top of the movement. The superset was with triples of pullups with various grips and sets of ten for the face pulls.

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
Pretty kickass workouts you got. I’m a NASA lifter as well…just one meet so far, but doing the unequipped nationals in Dallas in November. What kind of weight do you use on your facepulls?

Also, I read through Kyle Keoughs log on sherdog every now and then. At least I already know when I move up to the 148 class that I’ll never set any records…lol.

One thing I’ve noticed is that both you and Kyle don’t seem to do any quad dominant work. I was thinking quad strength was important to the raw lifer…maybe not so much? Is this how it is for most of your other lifters as well?

Definitely subscribing! Keep up the good work.[/quote]

The weight I used for facepulls varies on what cable machine or attachment I use. Usually it’s somewhere around 100lb. On occasion I’ll do some with heavier weights; I like to do triples with zero rest, going up and down the stack.

Kyle is a good fucking lifter, that’s all there is to it. But as for quad movements, we both seem to think that squatting in of itself is enough quad work. If you’ve ever seen his squat videos, he has an insanely narrow stance. Also, we both do some narrow stance low box squats from time to time.

Yea, I was wondering if it was because of the narrow stance. I’m thinking about experimenting with a narrower stance after the meet with olympic shoes.

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
9/7- deadlift #7

Deadlift- 2x5@425
Paused squats-
350x4x1
365x2x1
385x1x1

Barbell rows- 5x3@225
Glute-ham raises- 3x10+25lb
Block pulls- 475x2x1

Notes: This was actually the first time I’ve tried block pulls. They were just below the knee cap. My rows have now reached high school girl strength.

[/quote]

Strong deads!!! Very nice work!

Kyle will occasionally do squats with his heels touching. It’s rather ridiculous.

Also, on the subject of squats, here’s a video from last week:

Yes, my depth was absolute shit on the last two sets of squats. I need to get back into the groove of squatting with wraps. I’ll have another couple of videos up tonight as well.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

Strong deads!!! Very nice work![/quote]

Thanks. I have another deadlift video that should be uploaded and posted pretty soon.

Here is a bench video from last week.

And now I am caught up on my training videos. Yes, I know that I am magically pulling from the ceiling during one of the sets. No, I cannot teach you how to do this.

I also want to take this time to pimp out our website a bit more:

www.iowapowerlifting.com

We now have a bit more content, including a few articles and videos. We should be adding more content weekly.