My Training Log

I have the intention of keeping a training log here… Possible a food log as well. First a little bit about me…

I am 5’9 - 5’10 In that area, every time I get measured its different. I weigh around 207 pounds (I seem to fluctuate between 205 and 208 for the past month and half). I weigh myself once a week. I am around 20% bodyfat, but that is more a guess. The person whom I had use the caliper things on me was far from a pro at it (it was there second time doing it). So my body fat # is probable off, but it gives me a rough starting point.

Some past history on why certain exercises will be so weak… I have had alot of knee problems in the past 10 years. I am now 27 (will be this sunday at least) and have had my right knee operated on 4 times. 2 ACL tares and 3 meniscus tares. My left knee has had 1 meniscus tare and 1 ACL tare. Needless to say I am a little paranoid when it comes to my legs and have lost ALOT of strength because of the surgeries and the paranoia.

On top of that I never learned to squat properly until this past year. When I was in high school I thought my football coachs new what they were talking about… I was wrong. (Thanks to a Dan John video I now feel like I squat correctly) So re-building my leg strength is a work in progress for me. Well now lets get onto the today’s workout…

Today I was feeling REALLLLY unmotivated, but I forced myself to go to the gym… I am glad I did, because I feel LOADS better now. WOOHOOO!

Circuits: 5
Reps: 8
Load: Medium
rest: 45 - 60 s

Standing Military Presses–> 125lbs
Sitting Rows–> 140 lbs
DRDL → 70 lbs (each hand)
Front Squats–> 125 lbs

Todays workout with just some HIIT on a stepper.

88 seconds slow followed by 44 seconds fast. did this for 22 minutes.

Workout Log 13 - MAY - 2009

Circuits: 4
Reps: 15
Load: Light

Good Mornings → 115 lbs
Incline Dumbell Bench → 55 lbs
Wood Choppers → 75 lbs
Lunges → Body Weight
Wide Grip PullDowns → Stack + 25

Rest 60s

Ended after two circuits… Head was starting to feel like it was going to pound out of my skull, and I felt very weak / tired.

After reviewing my nutrition log (which I luckily kept that day) I saw the problem… I didn’t eat enough.

Workout Log 18 - MAY - 2009

Load: Heavy
Rest: 60s between each pairing

1A–> 1 armed Pull down → Stack + 10 *
1B–> Front Squat → 155

2A–> Romanian DeadLift → 255
2B–> Flat Bench → 225**

• = I don’t no what the weight of the stack is… It says it is 160lbs but I feel it is wrong… The equipment is from around 1975 (or so it seems). I wanted to do wide grip pull downs, but it is hard to get a weight heavy enough for that machine to actually be usefull…

** = I wanted to do decline dumbell bench, but I after getting to my work gym I realized that we don’t actually have a decline bench there… Any suggestions for a substitution? We also don’t have a pull-up bar or dip station…

Workout Log 19 - MAY - 2009

Sets: 3
Reps: 16
Load: Light
Rest: 90s

1A) Push-Up with feet elevated ++
1B) Good Mornings → 95 lbs ++

2A) Barbell Row w\ Palm up -->95 lbs ++
2B) Step-Ups (alternate legs each rep) 16 each leg → Body weight… In Hindsite I did this wrong, think I was suppose to do 8 each leg. ++

I lift barefoot and there were other people in the gym (for the first time) and they were looking at me funny. Oh well, I like my barefoot lifting.

Oh yea ++ is just a marker for me… means to go up in weight.

Workout Log 20 - MAY - 2009

Sets : 5
reps : 8
Load : Medium
Rest : 60s

1A) 1-arm pulldowns → stack
1B) Lunges → 30 lbs

2A) Push-jerk → 115 lbs
2B) single legged deadlift → 115

My form is horrendous in the single legged deadlift… I think I am going to up the weight next time and do two legged deadlifts until I get better balance / form.

So I haven’t updated in a few days, but here we go!!!

Workout Log 22 - MAY - 2009

Sets → 6
Reps → 3
Load → Heavy
Rest → 60s

1A) Lat Pull Down → Stack +15
1B) Front Squat → 185 lbs

2A) Dumbell RDL’s → 70 lbs (wasn’t enough weight, will have to switch to using a bar)
2B) Flat Bench → 225 lbs

Workout Log 23 - MAY - 2009

Sets → 3
Reps → 16
Load → Light
Rest → 90s

1A) Pushups → For me Set 1 was feet inclined, set 2 was with a 45 lb plate on back set 3 was feet inclined
1B) Good Mornings → 115 lbs

2A) Row w/ palms down → 120 lbs
2B) Step - ups (alternating legs each rep) → 25 lbs

Workout Log 26 - MAY - 2009

Sets → 6
Reps → 3
Load → heavy
Rest → 60s

1A) Chinups → Body weight
1B) Front Squats → 205 lbs

2A) RDLs → 275 lbs
2B) Incline Dumbbell Bench → 70 lbs (have to go higher, but dont have heavier dumbbells :confused: )

Workout Log 27 - MAY - 2009

Sets → 3
Reps → 16
Load → Light
Rest → 90s

1A) Pushups → Feet inclined and w/ sets 2 and 3 I had my hands holding 35 lb weights so I had a longer range of motion
1B) Good Mornings → 115 lbs I will go up in weight next time

2A) Row w/ Palms up → Set 1 was at 120 lbs. This i struggled with alot so i went down to 110 for the next two sets. I still struggled with this but was doable.
2B) Step Ups → 25 lbs each hand. Alternating legs each rep

Workout Log 28 - MAY - 2009

Sets → 5
Reps → 8
Rest → 60s
Load → Medium

1A) 1-Armed Pulldowns → Stack
1B) Lunges → 30 lbs

2A) Standing Shoulder Press → 115 lbs
2B) Deadlift → 185 lbs

I could of gone higher on the deadlift but I felt tired and it seemed like my form was having issues when I went higher. So proper form > heavier weight.

Workout Log 01 - JUNE - 2009

I had every intentions of exercising yesterday… I just never made it to the gym. It is okay though, instead I go a workout helping my father. I loaded a cart with 56 cement thingys (a great core workout, alot of trunk twisting in a squatting position). Then I moved the cart, which had a broken wheel… So it was sort of like a partial sled pull. This by the way is GREAT for leg / core strength,

Then helped him (father) load the truck. Now the actual putting down of the cement blocks, he did that. I was more or less just there to help move stuff. ANYWAY, onto today’s workout!

I started with the a complex of the following excercises done for 4 sets at 12 reps with 95 pounds…

Clean → Front Squat → Push Press

After those 4 sets I went into:

3 sets, 12 reps
Dumbell Pull overs → 50 lbs I will have to increase this weight next time

2 sets of 12 reps of the following exercises. These were done 1 after the other with no rest between exercises. about a 60 second rest between sets

A1) Lateral Raises → 15 Lbs
A2) Front Raises → 15 Lbs
A3) Overhead dumbell press → 30 lbs

I finished off the workout with pushups until failure. I didn’t really count I just did them until I couldn’t do anymore.

After thinking about that workout I did today a little. I think I should do the complex of Clean → Front Squat → Push press for 8 to 10 and not 12. Maybe go a little heavier in weight. It seemed my form went go bad about that point. The weight didn’t feel heavy, but my cardio is the suck.

Workout Log 02 - JUNE - 2009
Todays workout…

Core Training:
Sets = 4
Reps = 8 (unless otherwise noted)

Incline Twists → 25 lbs
Weighted Crunchs → 25 lbs
Dragon Flags → BW (which is all you need) only managed 4 reps each set
Plank → 25 seconds

Also did 30 mins of cardio at a moderate pace.

Workout Log 04 - JUNE - 2009

Hang Clean ->Sets: 4 Reps: 10 to 12 → 115 lbs
DB Deadlift → Sets: 3 Reps: 8 → 70 lbs (Need more weight next time)
Lunges → Sets: 3 Reps: 14 → 20 lbs (each hand)
4A) Bench → Sets : 4 Reps: 6 → 205 lbs
4B) Calf Raises–> Sets : 4 Reps: 8-10 → 30 lbs

Finisher → Body weight Squats

[quote]bibby wrote:
After thinking about that workout I did today a little. I think I should do the complex of Clean → Front Squat → Push press for 8 to 10 and not 12. Maybe go a little heavier in weight. It seemed my form went go bad about that point. The weight didn’t feel heavy, but my cardio is the suck.[/quote]

this is actually a really good idea stick to 8 reps.

I’ve looked over the past log entries and I must say its lookin very nice so far!

impressed

Rocky

05 - JUNE - 2009

Core day!!!
Wheel Roll outs x 5
V-Ups x 15
Russian Twists x 10 (per side) w\ 10 lb medicine ball
back Extensions (last set had a 25 lb plate)
High rep chinnies

Did this circuit for 4 sets.

Then did 15 mins Steady State cardio on an ellipticle.
Followed by 10 mins HIIT on a stepper (2 mins slow 1 fast)
Lastly 5 mins on a Treadmill at 3.5 MPH and 4 Degrees incline.

08 - JUNE - 2009

complex 1
Sets = 4
Reps = 8
Weight - 115 lbs

1)Clean → Front Squat → Push Press

1. Dumbell pullovers → 3 sets → 10 reps → 60 lbs

Two circuits of the following…

3A) Lateral Raises → 20 lbs
3B) Front Raises → 20 lbs
3C) Overhead Dumberll Press → 40 lbs

Finished with Feet inclined pushups… AMRAP

09 - JUNE - 2009

Core Workout → Sets = 3
Negative Flags → 5 reps
Deadlift Twist → 6 reps per side → 60 lbs
Hyper Extentions → 15 reps
Dumbell Twists → 8 reps per sode → 30 lbs

Cardio

10 mins Steady State / 20 mins HIIT

For the HIIT I did 120 seconds slow followed by 40 seconds fast for most of it. Towards the end I had to change it up to get and did a few rounds of 80 120 slow 80 fast 80 slow 40 fast…

10 - JUNE - 2009
28 minutes cardio. Did the “Fat Loss” program on the ellipticle

11 - JUNE - 2009

1. Hang Clean → Sets = 4 Reps = 8 → 135 lbs
  2. Deadlift → Sets = 3 Reps = 8 → 225 lbs
  3. Bulgarian Split Squat → sets = 3 Reps = 8 → 95 lbs

Notes from workout (11 - JUNE workout)

1. Last set of cleans my grip went after 6 reps. My forearms were on files… Should make for an interesting rest of workout.
  2. Deadlifts were MUCH harder with a toasted grip… Forearms are dead
  3. Bulgarian Split squats are a killer… My legs feel exhausted. Good stuff
  4. Ran out of time and have to get back to work. didn’t complete workout because of this. Tomorrow I will have to work Chest, Bi’s, Tri’s, Calves. Todays workout was just to have Chest and calves in it, but might as well add the Tri’s and Bi’s…

12 - JUNE - 2009

Flat Bench → 4 sets 6 Reps → 205 lbs (sets 1 - 3) 215 lbs (set 4)
Incline Dumbell Bench → 3 sets 8 reps → 70 lbs
Tricept Bench → 3 sets 8 reps → 135lbs
Bicept Curl → 3 sets 8 reps → 30 lbs (dumbells)

Yes I have weak biceps… I have never liked working biceps so I rarely do it.

15 - JUNE - 2009

Complex:
Sets = 4
Reps = 8
Weight = 135

1. Clean → Front Squat → Push Press

2. Dumbell Pull overs → 3 sets 10 reps → 70 lbs

3. Complex
    sets= 2
    reps = 8
    weight = 20 (for 3a and 3b) 40 (for 3c)
    A) Lateral Raises
    B) Front Raises
    C) Overhead Dumbell press

18 - JUNE - 2009

1. Hang Clean → 4 Sets → 8 reps → 155 lbs
  2. Deadlift → 5 sets → 3 reps → 275
  3. Bulgarian Split Squats → 2 Sets → 8 Reps → 95 lbs

Notes:

1. 3rd set of cleans only got 6 before it felt like my form was going bad… I moved the weight down to 135 for the last set. My forearms were also on fire.
  2. Only did 6 on the last set of cleans… My form was fine, but my grip was giving out.
  3. I definitely need to work on my grip strength and endurance

24 - JUNE - 2009

I needed a change in workout, felt tired and unexcited about the workout I have been doing. I also feel like I am getting sick, though I am hoping a hard workout will cure me of that. ANYWHO…

1A) Bench → 6 sets → 3 reps → 225* (see notes on weight change)
1B) Back Squat → 6 sets → 3 reps → 225* (see notes on weight change)

2A)Standing BB row → 4 sets → 6 reps → 135 lbs
2B) Good Mornings → 4 sets → 6 reps → 135 lbs

3A) 1-arm lat pull downs → 2 sets → 10 reps → Unknown… The machine said 160 but I doubt it was that much
3B) Feet incline pushups → 2 sets → AMRAP

NOTES:

1. Did a warmup set of squat and bench at 135 lbs
  2. Did my first set of squat and bench for 6 reps at 205 lbs… Had a mental error of what workout I was doing.
  3. At the 4th set of squat and bench I adjusted the weight. Bench went to 235 whie Squat went to 275. I think I am going low enough on the squat, but I will have to work on my hip flexibility and video myself doing the squat to get input from others and so I can see it.
  4. Last set of bench I put the weight back down to 225… Lack of a spotter and I was questioning whether I would be able to get it for a set of 3 again…