My Thyroid . . .

Results of a recent blood test:

T4 free: 0.90 0.70 - 1.80 ng/dL
T3 free: 2.33 1.80 - 5.00 pg/mL
TSH: 2.53 0.10 - 4.00 mU/L

As you can see, T4 & T3 are in the low range (around lowest 20%)
And TSH looks normal, but according to some, it is high as the normal range should be lower (0.10 - 2.5)

I’ve been suggested to check for low body temperature, but others tell me that doesn’t proove anything.

Suggestions?

I know it’s uncommon, but are you taking in enough iodine?

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Results of a recent blood test:

T4 free: 0.90 0.70 - 1.80 ng/dL
T3 free: 2.33 1.80 - 5.00 pg/mL
TSH: 2.53 0.10 - 4.00 mU/L

[/quote]

I don’t know why you had these checked in the first place, but they are all within the normal ranges.

Usually I would have only checked the TSH, and only asked the lab for the fT4 or T3 depending on if an abnormal TSH was found.

Whatever problem you were looking into and had these checked, I would say that the thyroid is not the problem and other causes should be considered.

I will note that you are correct in saying that the upper limit of TSH in some labs is around 2.5. Another thing to consider is having the TSH rechecked in a few months.

Something I should have mentioned in the original post.

I carry a lot of internal fat. My waist is 108 cm. You are considered at risk when you’re over 94 cm.
Also, I have trouble loosing weight. I train hard, I eat clean and I use JB’s Precision Nutrition system (not to the letter though, just like he tell us to).

I’m pretty strong, my arms and legs are cut, but I have this out of proportion pot belly. If I eat enough to grow some muscle, I just add extra fat. So I’ve decided to cut. I’ve cut from 2500 cal tot 2000 cal. I loose 1k and stall. I raise it gradually to 250 cal again. I gain 1k and more if I raise it further.

I’ve been stairing at this problem for nearly 2 years and didn’t find a solution. It’s time to face it and put it at the top of my priority list.

I know the “parameters are within range”. But look at them. TSH is rather high. T3 an T4 are pretty low.

Also, I have dust mite allergy. Been diagnosed with that when I had my blood checked. This puts extra stress on the body. Cortisol was “within normal range” also.

This also got me worried: http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Hypothyroidism%20_web_booklet.pdf
on page 9.
In most labs, the normal range for TSH is 0.4 mU/L to 4.0 mU/L (Figure 4). If your TSH is above 4.0 mU/L on both a first test and a repeat test, you probably have hypothyroidism.
Most people whose thyroid works normally have a TSH between 0.4 and 2.5 mU/L. If your TSH is above 2.5 mU/L, your doctor should test your blood for anti-thyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO) antibodies. If you have these antibodies, your immune system may be attacking your thyroid and you may be at risk for developing hypothyroidism. You should have the TSH test repeated at least once a year. There is no need to repeat a positive anti-TPO test.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
I know it’s uncommon, but are you taking in enough iodine?[/quote]

I’m eating my veggies and fruits, so I should be ok.

You may be developing some subclinical hypothyroidism, but personally with your levels I would not start any treatment.

Here is a link to a recent statement on subclinical hypothyroidism: (I think anyone should be able to access it)

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/90/1/581

Thanks for the link.

The article starts the paragraph on treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism with this sentence.

The consensus panel recommended against routine treatment of patients with subclinical hypothyroidism with serum TSH levels of 4.5?10 mU/liter, but indicated that treatment was reasonable for patients with TSH levels greater than 10 mU/liter.

And I was looking for treatment with a level of 2.53.

Made me think.

I scanned the article. I tend to agree with their recommendations, however in the range of 5-10, I would probably start very low dose treatment. Hypothyroidism is very common, so make sure you have a TSH rechecked.

If you’ve been chronically dieting for a while your thyroid function (I.e. production) can down-regulate to offset too much weight loss. This is actually quite common for people who are constantly restricting calories. Now there are two approaches that can help to improve your thyroid function (not including AAS).

One is to schedule in re-feed days. The second is to begin to apply a small patch of tinc iodine to your upper arm close to your armpit. If the spot is disappearing in less than 24 hours then re-apply. If it stays over 24 hours then your thyroid is getting the pre-cursors it needs to function properly.

Hope that helps.

Sasha