T Nation

My Thougths on the Paleo Diet

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
It’s true, I never really did paleo, that’s because I couldn’t even do low carb…so paleo would extinct me right out of the picture.[/quote]
Lol
You don’t have to be low carb to be paleo[/quote]

it’s a VERY common misconception about paleo

Isn’t paleo just eating whole foods or is there more to it?

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Isn’t paleo just eating whole foods or is there more to it? [/quote]
Essentially.
The thought process is to eat what paleo man used to eat.
Paleo man didn’t eat twinkies, bread, pastas, cereal, etc. etc. etc.

You are physiologically wrong on several points. Fructose in fruit doesn?t really spike blood sugar. Many wheat and grain products (including whole grains) spike blood sugar more than straight sugar does.

One of the other big things you miss is that the body using sugar and the body needing to consume sugar are 2 very different things. Your body requires testosterone, but you need not consume it.

Dietary carbohydrates are entirely non-essential. You must eat fat. You must eat protein. You need eat no carbs for health and energy. Like testosterone, the body is capable of producing all it needs. You body will make sugar if it needs it. (though many people eat so many carbs all the time, they have lost much of that ability)

Through more than 99.7% of human existence, the vast majority of humans lived with little to no fruit. Vegetables and some roots and stuff for only portions of the year in very limited supply, and eating mostly animals. You are essentially contending that man, throughout the vast majority of existence would have been unhealthy and incapable of doing things like running and hunting.

If you wanted to get further into it, there is ever increasing amounts of research showing that insulin spike are just plain terrible for your health. Carbs are largely responsible for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, est.

But suffice to say, I think you missed the whole point.

OP will not live the bald thread down. Bald thread=OP, just as bodyfat w/shoe=eliteballa.

IT WILL HAUNT YOU FOREVER.

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Isn’t paleo just eating whole foods or is there more to it? [/quote]
Essentially.
The thought process is to eat what paleo man used to eat.
Paleo man didn’t eat twinkies, bread, pastas, cereal, etc. etc. etc.
[/quote]

Right, no processed foods. So that makes many bodybuilding/strength diets “paleo” as far as lean proteins, lots of veggies, nuts, healthy fats, etc. This is how everyone should eat, imo.

EDIT: I agree DD. I think carbs are only beneficial around training and during a first meal if fat loss is not the main goal.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
You are physiologically wrong on several points. Fructose in fruit doesn?t really spike blood sugar. Many wheat and grain products (including whole grains) spike blood sugar more than straight sugar does.

One of the other big things you miss is that the body using sugar and the body needing to consume sugar are 2 very different things. Your body requires testosterone, but you need not consume it.

Dietary carbohydrates are entirely non-essential. You must eat fat. You must eat protein. You need eat no carbs for health and energy. Like testosterone, the body is capable of producing all it needs. You body will make sugar if it needs it. (though many people eat so many carbs all the time, they have lost much of that ability)

Through more than 99.7% of human existence, the vast majority of humans lived with little to no fruit. Vegetables and some roots and stuff for only portions of the year in very limited supply, and eating mostly animals. You are essentially contending that man, throughout the vast majority of existence would have been unhealthy and incapable of doing things like running and hunting.

If you wanted to get further into it, there is ever increasing amounts of research showing that insulin spike are just plain terrible for your health. Carbs are largely responsible for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, est.

But suffice to say, I think you missed the whole point.
[/quote]

Truth ^

[quote]USAWchamp wrote:
Thought I would post a video on this subject…

A few other points I didn’t touch on in the video…

I think fruits and starchy vegetables are perfectly fine foods but they’re not very macro-nutrient dense and thus not a good sole source of carbohydrates for physically active people.

People who cannot eat wheat due to gluten allergies can substitute it for plenty of other healthy grains like brown rice, wild rice, amaranth, quinoa and many others.

This video is not a condemnation of the paleo diet but rather an analysis of why it may not be ideal for all population types, particularly physically active people who rely on glycogen as a fuel source.
[/quote]

If it was so great the paleos would have lived past 30…

you mean people actually watched the video? Really?

[quote]pat wrote:

If it was so great the paleos would have lived past 30…[/quote]

huh?

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Isn’t paleo just eating whole foods or is there more to it? [/quote]

From what I understand you only eat things that cavemen could spell.

I guess that only leaves Yoo Hoo.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I tried eating paleo, or at least low carb, for a few weeks about 10 years ago.

Now I know why cavemen were so angry and hostile all the time, because they hadn’t had pasta or bread since the beginning of time.[/quote]

Honestly, low carb and I feel like a fish in the water.

If I were to follow official guidelines I would have to eat 500 to 700 g of carbs a day.

I really cannot handle that, diabeetus lies thataway.

I do not get cranky, I have no cravings, meatmeatmeatmeat.

And eggs.

And cheese.

And veggies, unless I forget.

[quote]magick62d wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
You are physiologically wrong on several points. Fructose in fruit doesn?t really spike blood sugar. Many wheat and grain products (including whole grains) spike blood sugar more than straight sugar does.

One of the other big things you miss is that the body using sugar and the body needing to consume sugar are 2 very different things. Your body requires testosterone, but you need not consume it.

Dietary carbohydrates are entirely non-essential. You must eat fat. You must eat protein. You need eat no carbs for health and energy. Like testosterone, the body is capable of producing all it needs. You body will make sugar if it needs it. (though many people eat so many carbs all the time, they have lost much of that ability)

Through more than 99.7% of human existence, the vast majority of humans lived with little to no fruit. Vegetables and some roots and stuff for only portions of the year in very limited supply, and eating mostly animals. You are essentially contending that man, throughout the vast majority of existence would have been unhealthy and incapable of doing things like running and hunting.

If you wanted to get further into it, there is ever increasing amounts of research showing that insulin spike are just plain terrible for your health. Carbs are largely responsible for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, est.

But suffice to say, I think you missed the whole point.
[/quote]

Truth ^ [/quote]

Nope.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
I tried eating paleo, or at least low carb, for a few weeks about 10 years ago.

Now I know why cavemen were so angry and hostile all the time, because they hadn’t had pasta or bread since the beginning of time.[/quote]

Honestly, low carb and I feel like a fish in the water.

If I were to follow official guidelines I would have to eat 500 to 700 g of carbs a day.

I really cannot handle that, diabeetus lies thataway.

I do not get cranky, I have no cravings, meatmeatmeatmeat.

And eggs.

And cheese.

And veggies, unless I forget. [/quote]

I think I gained 20 lbs trying low carb from how much cheese, meat and eggs I ate to sate myself.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
I tried eating paleo, or at least low carb, for a few weeks about 10 years ago.

Now I know why cavemen were so angry and hostile all the time, because they hadn’t had pasta or bread since the beginning of time.[/quote]

Honestly, low carb and I feel like a fish in the water.

If I were to follow official guidelines I would have to eat 500 to 700 g of carbs a day.

I really cannot handle that, diabeetus lies thataway.

I do not get cranky, I have no cravings, meatmeatmeatmeat.

And eggs.

And cheese.

And veggies, unless I forget. [/quote]

I think I gained 20 lbs trying low carb from how much cheese, meat and eggs I ate to sate myself.[/quote]

Really?

Ok.

That is not how it works for me.

No, really, if you need carbs, you do.

I dont.