T Nation

My Test Results - Is TRT Recommended?

I’ve been all over the internet on different forums and articles researching trt and still confused as to what would be considered a low testosterone reading. I thought I would post my test results here in hope for some advice. I will be 37 next month. I’m having symptoms of fatigue, low libido, dizziness. I’ve also noticed that I’m not recovering as quickly as I was 2 years ago. Lately, I haven’t been sleeping much due to a busy schedule and stress is high.

My recent lab work is showing test at 364. There is a doctor where I live that believes any total test range under 400 is a health risk. For some reason though, he isn’t allowed to prescribe HCG. The doc that ordered these current tests says that I’m healthy and not to worry about it.

I have food allergies and so my diet is very consistent.

Breakfast: 6-7 whole eggs fried, 2 servings of brown rice.
Lunch: baked chicken breast, green veggies, 2 whole sweet potatoes with butter.
Dinner: Some type of meat(turkey, chicken, steak), veggies, 2 servings brown rice.
Snacks: Almonds

I don’t take any supplements or vitamins due to allergic reactions. I lift and do cardio only a couple times per week now due to a hip injury(I can go hard on cardio, but no squats or heavy weight).

The test, shbg, estradiol, dhea was taken in the morning around 10am. Cortisol was taken separately at 8:30am. The bloodwork was done at Quest Diagnostics.

Total Testosterone: 364 ng/dl (250-1100 ng/dL)
Free Testosterone: 47.6 pg/ml (35.0-155.0 pg/mL)
SHBG: 39 nmol/L (10-50 nmol/L)
DHEA: 354 ng/dl (61-1636 ng/dL)
Estradiol: 20 pg/ml (< OR = 39 pg/mL)
Cortisol: 12.3 mcg/dL (4.0-22.0 mcg/dL)

It’s true that there are health risks associated with testosterone levels in the mid 400 range, these lab ranges have absolutely no validity whatsoever. The WW2 era generally had testosterone levels near or past the 1200 ng/dL and since then testosterone levels as well as sperm counts have dramatically dropped do to environmental contamination and the use of all these pesticides, food preservatives and nauseous carbon emitting vehicles. Any doctor that tell you your levels are normal needs a reality check, the quality of your libido and erections are already in trouble once you get within the 400 range.

You could try a urologist to prescribe you some HCG if your current doctor is unable to do so. As far as figuring out what constitutes a low testosterone reading really is individualised, everyone is biochemically unique, everyone operates in a range that’s unique to them. The only problem is unless you routinely got labs done when you reached your peak testosterone levels somewhere in your early 20’s, it’s purely a guessing game what range you operate best. You should also include labs ranges as every labs is different and isn’t standardised.

Thanks. I’ve included ranges for the specific lab.

Test DHEA-S not DHEA. DHEA levels change rapidly and one measurement says very little about your status.

How old are you?
Where are you located?

There are no restrictions on hCG other than what your doctor does or what insurance will pay for.

fT in non-TRT guys changes a lot and really does not tell us as much as you might think, unless really high or low.

With low-T, you need to do these as a follow up:
LH and FSH -both
prolactin if <35
PSA if >40

Nothing else tested? Need more info other than those hormones.
Please post: or obtain
fasting glucose
fasting cholesterol
RBC
HTC
hemoglobin
AST/ALT
TSH, T3, T4, fT3 fT4 as available

Are you iodine deficient from not using iodized salt?
Thyroid labs should be TSH, fT3, fT4
Please resist substitutes.

Please eval overall thyroid function via oral body temps, see below.

Your symptoms can be from low-T, low thyroid function or commonly both. Both share the same symptoms. What is low T? Lab ranges are from a normal curve analysis of a sample group and “normal” does not in any way mean health, fit or optimal. Most doctors have this wrong. Guys react differently to lower T levels and diagnosis that ignores symptoms is absolutely wrong.

Stress can mess up thyroid function from elevated reverse T3, rT3, interfering with fT3, the only active thyroid hormone.

Diet suggests possible lack of some B vitamins, Vit-D3 and magnesium. See this site’s Biotest store re “ZMA”. Most are magnesium deficient. You should be able to tolerate mineral supplements as well as sublingual B-12. Most need 5000iu Vit-D3. You can test Vit-D25 levels. Look for tiny oil based 5000iu Vit-D3 gel caps. Vit-D25 is made from Vit-D3 and is an essential hormone, more than a vitamin. You may be lacking essential fatty acids, EFAs that most would get as fish oil, flax seed oil or meal as well as nuts. Selenium is essential for proper thyroid function and a deficiency sets up processes that lead to thyroid autoimmune disease. One or two brazil nuts per day would be good if not seeing 100-200mcg selenium in a mineral tablet.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

Glucose was normal, cholesterol was low, hemoglobin was normal.
I’m 37, live in Kansas.
I’ll see what the doc says about the rest. If they won’t test the others, maybe I’ll find someone else.
The last time I tried to supplement with D3 and magnesium, I got pounding headaches. When I take vitamin b, I get real jittery. Also, I eat iodized salt everyday. My body temp is usually around 95,96. Maybe that has changed. I’ll do a log for the next few days.

Cholesterol is the foundation for creation of all of your steroid hormones, including Vit-D3 and cortisol.

66047 here

Will be traveling and may not be able to follow up.