My Strength Workout for MMA

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
Beershoes wrote:
I’m going to give you a few suggestions you didn’t ask for. Firstly I’d dump the bench press, utterly useless unless you like setting yourself up to try and press your opponent off of you when mounted. If you do like this strategy prepare to be arm-barred like a mofo. Replace the bench with pull-up’s or chin-up’s. Same 5/3/1. Secondly dump the db press, and work explosive push-up’s (use a weight vest if you need more weight, or just throw a rubber plate on your back and have a friend hold it there).

Other than this, check the hub like Irish said.

This man knows his MMA conditioning better than most on the Judo thread.[/quote]

quoted two times for truth

[quote]Wayland wrote:
To quote Joe Defranco “the bench press is a great, multi-joint, free-weight exercise for developing strength in the chest, triceps and shoulders. Whatâ??s wrong with that?”

In response to the OP most important thing is to Move your ME lower day to a place where it won’t impact on the next day. And avoid putting the ME upper and RE upper one after the other. Also if you decide to have ME lower day followed by RE upper, switch out that Re grip work to push ups or pressing variation if possible. Your grip will be battered from deadlifting the day before. If that means you need more work for RE day add in some vertical pulling and scapular retraction work eg facepulls, flyes, band pull aparts whatever, hopefully you get the idea
[/quote]

The REP Grip you mentioned the 3x chin up holds are for my “isometric-strength”.

The problem is, I have to train on these 3 days, so I think ME Lower is best placed on saturday.

I tried all 3 workouts and noticed hat I have to change something on my REP Day, but I’m not sure what it is.

I think the dips are great for whole upper body strength (chest, triceps, shoulders,…)
The biceps is my biggest problem. He doesn’t really fit to my body :confused:

Hope you have some advice on these special day.

Bench discussion:

I love this excercise and never heard before any “Fighter” isn’t using it in any form.
So I will stay with my bench press.

your bicep is a he?

[quote]Brotard09 wrote:
your bicep is a he?[/quote]

Sorry, Mister Professor “Perfect English” that english isn’t my mother language…

It sounds like your both a beginner in MMA and strength work

So this might be allot to chew on for a beginner.

I would try it , and see how you feel.
If your strength work stall, or if it is impacting your recovery
in your MMA classes and impacts your ability to work there,
then you need to reevaluate your training.

If you feel fine, then you need to put some weight on the bar.
and work harder in your classes.

I am curious as to why would you try to do two classes in one day?
they do seem short enough but that might not be the best idea.

kmc

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
I’m going to give you a few suggestions you didn’t ask for. Firstly I’d dump the bench press, utterly useless unless you like setting yourself up to try and press your opponent off of you when mounted. If you do like this strategy prepare to be arm-barred like a mofo. Replace the bench with pull-up’s or chin-up’s. Same 5/3/1. Secondly dump the db press, and work explosive push-up’s (use a weight vest if you need more weight, or just throw a rubber plate on your back and have a friend hold it there).

Other than this, check the hub like Irish said.[/quote]

bench press is useless?? yeah it only totally helps you improve your upper body strength

and you want him to drop the db presses which is like one of the best exersises for an athlete because it actually simulates real life movements,like mark riptoe said.