T Nation

My Strength Skills Log

I took up strength skills about 3 months ago as part of my training routine and it has had a great affect on my lifts. This is here for people to look at my progress give me pointers on how I can increase my gains in power and outward appearence.

I have tried and failed previously at keeping a accurate food log as I work in a night club. So I have just tried to eat every 2-3 hours even while at work. I take a few cans of tuna to work with me to maintain my protein intake and I usually just try to eat asmuch protein and carbs as I can because I am naturaly very lean.

My Current stats are as follows

Height: 180cm
Weight: 75Kg/165lb
Body Fat: Between 6-9%

Some of my 1RM:

Bench: 85Kg
Squat: 150Kg
Dead Lift: 140Kg

My current moves are as follows

Double Arm Leaver
Single Arm Leaver
Bent arm Plache
Handstand
Push to Handstand from knees
L-Seat
Arm Leaver Flag

My Goal Moves
Plache
Iron Cross
V-Seat
One Arm Handstand
Claping Handstand Push-ups
1 finger push-up
one arm chin-up

DAY 1 (or atleast thats what I am calling it)

first successfull pass from L-Seat to Handstand.

(for more info on strength skills please visit www.beastskills.com)

I am also a big beast skills fan, and I want to get more bodyweight skills under my belt.

My beast skills repetoire is kinda limited at the moment currently:

muscle up’s for reps
handstand

Like to get:

Pistol squat
One arm chin

I have the strength for a pistol (squat 2.25xBW) just not the balance or flexibility so hopefully that is not far away. One arm chin… that is a real strength feat and I would love to get that!

Well, I got some more advice from my Gymnastics coach and he has pushed along my planche alot I still wouldnt call it something I can do on call but I held it for about 3 seconds before caving in forward onto my face :).

I have moved from trying to have 5 meals a day to 7 to try and increase my muscle density, which will be a effort considering work is intense. Also about to get a day job to get some more cash flow to support all of these habits of mine.

Also, going to be doing 1RM next week it will be nice to see what sort of progress I am making and I should be able to get them online later that day.

Ciao

well i can’t give you much advise on the gymnastics, but i can giv you some help with the powertraining, if you want to get biger and stronger the old saying is less is more. you need to do as little at work as possable, and make sure you are getting plenty of sleep, if your body is constantly worn down or tierd it can not recover.

As far as the diet you need to eat as much carbs as possible, and eat big meals. between these meals you would eat your tuna and protien shakes,More carbs means more energy = more power.Good luck

Thanks Aussiepower, I have been taking tuna to work and chucking it in the beer fridges so I can get something into me every couple of hours.

I completed my first Handstand to Double arm lever on Wednesday so my control is improving which is a excellent sign for me. Also popped another 10kg on my 1rm for Squat.

I will be posting some pics of some of my moves in the next few days.

Ciao.

Squats are great for core strength,should help you withyour gymnastic’s. where is Aus are you.

I’m in Perth, WA. Just wondering if anyone would be able to give me some pointers on Exercises for increasing Vertical jump except Squats? If it is possible to do at home then I will be very happy.

p.s. please dont say jump :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m working on L-Seat to Planche (split) and it has been improving and I’m about to go weigh myself in tonight for the first time in ages it will be nice to see how much I am now.

The difficulty of my old L-seat to handstand has dropped unbelievably, now I just want to be able to bring it back to L-seat.

I had a break from training over Christmas and also got a huge amount of sun burn on a staff Christmas party (25-30 drunk people on a boat in the sun, none escaped).

you will here from me soon.

[quote]Vatic wrote:
I’m in Perth, WA. Just wondering if anyone would be able to give me some pointers on Exercises for increasing Vertical jump except Squats? If it is possible to do at home then I will be very happy.

p.s. please dont say jump :P[/quote]

I don’t have any specific exercises for you to do, but
if you have some spare cash get the vertical jump development bible by Kelly Baggett.

I highly reccomend it. Also have a look at this article on plyometrics.

[quote]Vatic wrote:
I took up strength skills about 3 months ago as part of my training routine and it has had a great affect on my lifts. This is here for people to look at my progress give me pointers on how I can increase my gains in power and outward appearence.

I have tried and failed previously at keeping a accurate food log as I work in a night club. So I have just tried to eat every 2-3 hours even while at work. I take a few cans of tuna to work with me to maintain my protein intake and I usually just try to eat asmuch protein and carbs as I can because I am naturaly very lean.

My Current stats are as follows

Height: 180cm
Weight: 75Kg/165lb
Body Fat: Between 6-9%

Some of my 1RM:

Bench: 85Kg
Squat: 150Kg
Dead Lift: 140Kg

[/quote]

How deep do you squat? The reason I ask is because in most cases when someone is able to raw squat more than their best deadlift it is because they are squatting high. Either that or their deadlift is being held back by lack of grip strenght rather than lower body strength.

Also I wouldnt reccomend eating tuna too regularly as it has quite high mercury levels. Salmon is more expensive, but for your long term health I believe it’s worth the extra money.

Thanks for the info Gonzalez I will make the swap. I think the reason for the difference in lifts (dead/squat) is because or my gymnastics which is mainly floor work I have much bigger legs then arms so I feel more comfortable during squat then dead and the angle of my legs at its lowest point during squat would probably be about 60* or 70*.

I have made a change in my gym routine and have started a 5x5 routine also now including some Olympic lifts. So far I like it.

Still need to post some pics up I will try to get a hold of a camera in the next few days. I will also post on Rate My Physique to see how that area is going, probably not to well considering my hight to weight but it will be nice to know.

After a weight drop to 70Kg I am now back to 74Kg but have heavier lifts then previous which is a good feeling. I have been increasing my training now and am experienceing alot better gains, I am now able to do planche Push-ups off of a ledge and my handstand press is now effortless. I have a new camera and will be taking some pics wednesday night and have them up soon after.

(its been a while since I posted here)