T Nation

My Stomach

I’m 5’5, 117 lbs (5.9% bf–yeah, I’m scrawny!) and trying to gain weight from weight training and improved nutrition. I have gained six pounds in 3 weeks, which is good news, but my stomach is giving me some signs that what I’ve doing might not be great for it (frequent bowel movements; occasional loose bowel movements–maybe 4 or 5 movements per week will be pretty loose). I recently found out when joining T-Nation and using a personal trainer that I wasn’t eating nearly enough protein (probably around 80 or 90 grams/day), which is probably why I hadn’t been gaining weight.

I foolishly decided to immediately increase it to around 150 to 180 g/day and it drove my stomach crazy (indigestion, very frequent bowel movements, many of which were loose)! I tried this for about 4 days before deciding I made way too abrupt an increase in protein. Now, for about a week I’ve been eating around 120 g/day and around 3200 calories from six meals.

My stomach’s better, but still not so great. I go to the bathroom more often than I’m used to and occasionally (maybe once a day or every two days) my bowel movements are pretty loose. I don’t know if I’m still eating too much protein or maybe I’m eating too many carbs or too much fat. I’ve increased the fat and carbs to try to get to 3200 calories a day.

The calorie increase has been pretty gradual, though. I used to eat 2800; before that around 2400. I don’t really know what to do: Whether to stay at the current diet and let my body adjust or to decrease protein or carbs or fat or some combination of them. I eat six meals a day. My increase in consumption of fat-containing foods has been pretty rapid too. I didn’t realize until coming here that I wasn’t eating enough fat (maybe around 30 grams a day). For the past 3 weeks I’ve been eating closer to 60 or 70 grams/day. I’ll give some sample meals

-3 servings of oatmeal and one serving of whey powder
-100 grams of tuna fish, 2 apples, 1 banana, salad with olive or flax oil
-Cottage cheese, 1 baked potato with olive oil on it, 1 apple, 1 banana
-Extra lean burger, V8 juice, 1 yam, 2 slices of whole wheat bread with olive oil
-chicken breast, 1 serving of cashews
-Turkey burger (20 grams protein, 8 grams fat), bread or fruit

I don’ always have these combinations precisely as above. I always have one of the above sources of protein and then take any of the above sources of carbs and fat to try to reach a total of 500 to 600 calories for each meal. Before and during workouts, I drink Gatorade for simple carbs. After workouts, I mix Gatorade with whey protein.

Any advice you could give would be great!

Advice #1: Buy Benefiber and add it to your protein shakes.

Advice #2: While most bodybuilders won’t sit around and openly discuss bowel movements, if you think any guy pushing 300lbs in contest shape isn’t running through rolls of toilet paper everyday, then you don’t understand basic biology. It isn’t rare for the average sedentary person to only have a movement once a day or even once every two days. On the other hand, the average large bodybuilder sees his porcelein queen several times a day. get used to it. Bodybuilding doesn’t equal “normal”.

More protein, more shitting. And NOTHING will bind that stuff! Not even all of the yams in the world could do that. Its normal and get used to it!

From your diet report, it sounds like you’re getting plenty enough fiber already. That might be the cause of your loose stools, if it’s those that start to fall apart once they hit the water. That’s perfectly fine. Some fibers just won’t be digested and amalgamated.

Shitting often is also a response to good fiber intake, and massive eating in general. This is all to be expected.

Thanks a lot guys!

dewd, that is like the best part of it all.

soon you will get used to it and start laying some seriously fierce cable. You can adjust your eating patterns to see how long and unbroken you can get your turds. It becomes like an arts and crafts class, you feel less like a person with a bowel problem and more like an artist!

You eventually feel pride in your BM’s and they become a littel aprt of you, like a child I assume. Get in touch with your BM dewd. you can even enter contest’s. I won a new hightech mountain bike from a vancouver bike shop for laying a “triple coiler” in their john. I can’t say I bike much but I prepared for weeks for that BM. It’s like one of my acheivements in life. Plus you can do other fun stuff like try eating only peanuts and corn for a week and see what happens ;o)

Plus it’s an opportunity to get some reading done. get your laptop and take T-Nation in there with you. You’ll also start to notice that you get “ready to go” when you train. You haven’t had a real break between squat sets until you’ve dropped a deuce between sets. Shit ive gotta add on an extra 5# plate just to equalize the next set.

Learn to love it. BTW power up the fiber and fats for more floating style and up the protein if you want the sinking style. With enough protein you can get the ledgendary “no-wiper ghost poopy” where it hides in the bottom of the john, out of sight, and its solid enough that you don’t even have to wipe. cool i know. good training

-chris

[quote]Kailash wrote:
Shitting often is also a response to good fiber intake, and massive eating in general. This is all to be expected.[/quote]

Somebody call Paul Check for this kid and ask him to bring his ruler.

one of the greatest topics of all time.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Kailash wrote:
Shitting often is also a response to good fiber intake, and massive eating in general. This is all to be expected.

Somebody call Paul Check for this kid and ask him to bring his ruler.
[/quote]

I don’t think our man is at the stage where his consistency is good enough to use the ruler, but he soon will be if he can harness the POWER!!!

-chris

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:

soon you will get used to it and start laying some seriously fierce cable. You can adjust your eating patterns to see how long and unbroken you can get your turds. It becomes like an arts and crafts class, you feel less like a person with a bowel problem and more like an artist!

You eventually feel pride in your BM’s and they become a littel aprt of you, like a child I assume. Get in touch with your BM dewd. you can even enter contest’s. I won a new hightech mountain bike from a vancouver bike shop for laying a “triple coiler” in their john. I can’t say I bike much but I prepared for weeks for that BM. It’s like one of my acheivements in life. Plus you can do other fun stuff like try eating only peanuts and corn for a week and see what happens ;o)

Plus it’s an opportunity to get some reading done. get your laptop and take T-Nation in there with you. You’ll also start to notice that you get “ready to go” when you train. You haven’t had a real break between squat sets until you’ve dropped a deuce between sets. Shit ive gotta add on an extra 5# plate just to equalize the next set.

Learn to love it. BTW power up the fiber and fats for more floating style and up the protein if you want the sinking style. With enough protein you can get the ledgendary “no-wiper ghost poopy” where it hides in the bottom of the john, out of sight, and its solid enough that you don’t even have to wipe. cool i know. good training

-chris[/quote]

Funniest post ever.

[quote]lanman wrote:
one of the greatest topics of all time.[/quote]

hell yes.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
realpeanutbutter wrote:

-chris

Funniest post ever.[/quote]
Yeah, that was great!

this is regular discussion over at mma.tv forum. We had a poop competition over there, I got 3rd. some of those dudes can really sling em. also possibly the strangest use of digital cameras ever. you just don’t tell normal people that you engage in this kinda discussion. The poopy is very maligned in north america. I once dated a girl that had never seen her own shit. she averted her eyes better than a japanese daughter, era pre-1960’s.

-chris

Chris you’re absolutely friggin hilarious

I’m laughin’ out loud

[quote]richieY2K wrote:
Chris you’re absolutely friggin hilarious

I’m laughin’ out loud [/quote] to

My GF thinks it’s much less funny. not to mention her whole family makes fun of what I eat (Berardi style which i though was pretty normal). I get the:

“so can you eat carbs today atkins man?”

and i think: ‘lady I am going to fook up your plumbing so bad, I’ve been eating bricks of cheese for two weeks. This will be like giving birth to a post-pubesent child. get your plunger.’

but i say: “sure i just trained, it’s just what i need (to make me rock out this 10 pound cable!)”

-chris

. I once dated a girl that had never seen her own shit. she averted her eyes better than a japanese daughter, era pre-1960’s.

-chris[/quote]

This could possibly be one of the funniest post ever on this sight. I cramped up from laughing so hard. You are my hero.

and i think: ‘lady I am going to fook up your plumbing so bad, I’ve been eating bricks of cheese for two weeks. This will be like giving birth to a post-pubesent child. get your plunger.’
-chris[/quote]

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhaha

I don’t think your problems are just a result of eating more than you have been. Are you sure you’re not lactose intolerant? Do you fart a lot/get stomach cramps/get the trots after drinking milk/eating ice cream or cottage/taking whey protein? Try taking a whey protein that’s lactose free, and drinking milk too that’s lactose free (if they sell Lactaid where you are). Pay attention to when you have stomach distress; if it follows the meals that contained milk products you’ve learned something important.

That’s a good question. Yes, I am lactose intolerant, but I try to take Lactaid tablets before having dairy products. Now that I think about it, I haven’t been taking the tablets before cottage cheese, though.
I have a whey protein drink that’s 98% lactose free. It’s called Cytogainer.

-chris[/quote]

Do you shit Westside style?

ME - go for length
DE - cut washers as fast as you can