T Nation

My Squat Video

I am not a good squatter at all, I realize this. My form is terrible and I am weak as hell. I’m 5’9 and this is a video of me squatting 190x4. I am hoping someone can give me some advice on what to work on. I lean forward a lot and it doesn’t matter how much weight I have on the bar, even empty I have to lean forward, I dunno why.

What do you do for lower back and back in general? It would look like you have a weak back.

Your hips rise faster than your shoulders as you drive out of the hole.

I’m doing 5/3/1
Monday:
Military Press 5/3/1
DB Mil Press 5x10
Lat Pulldown 5x10

Tuesday:
Deadlift 5/3/1
Trap Bar Deadlift 5x10
Lying leg pullings 5x12

Thursday:
Bench 5/3/1
DB Bench 5x10
DB Row 5x10

Friday:
Squat 5/3/1
Front Squat 5x10 (I suck at these too)
Lying Leg Curl 5x12

(chin up schedule)
Monday: Lat pulldowns
Wednesday: Chin ups 10x5x10lbs
Friday: Chin ups 5xF

Looks like a decent 5/3/1 schedule to me. Very similar to mine, other than you are lacking good mornings on squat day. I found my squat got a bit better once I incorporated good mornings into my workout. You may want to try that.

I’m looking to improve my squat as well btw so I’m no expert :wink: My 1rm is around 240# which is about 30# less than my bench 1rm :frowning:

Another question: How does your deadlift look? Are you extending in a smooth unfolding motion or do your hips move before your shoulders in the DL motion as well? ie. You sort of do a stiff leg DL then a good morning. This was the main flaw in my DL that I have corrected and the same problem can come in the squat.

I don’t think it’s a particularly bad squat to be honest. How long have you been training?

Have you tried low bar back squats? Your thighs are quite long so it might favour your body shape to try them, at the moment it just looks like the placement of the bar is pulling you forward a little bit.

I’ve been half ass training since about mid 2006, I work out for about 2 months then bitch out for like 2 months. I’ve gone from 260lbs to 147lbs (now sitting at 180). I will add some hyperextensions in to see if that helps, and I am worried it might be a flexibility issue as well so I should probably start actually stretching.

Also if I do bodyweight squats I lean forward like a mother fucker, like if I do a wall squat I get to about a quarter squat position and my face hits the wall. When I grab a doorframe or something and use it as support to squat down I can do em fine, but that actually feels like a workout for my legs, so maybe I just have fucking terribly weak legs? I dunno

[quote]thing1 wrote:
I’ve been half ass training since about mid 2006, I work out for about 2 months then bitch out for like 2 months. I’ve gone from 260lbs to 147lbs (now sitting at 180). I will add some hyperextensions in to see if that helps, and I am worried it might be a flexibility issue as well so I should probably start actually stretching.

Also if I do bodyweight squats I lean forward like a mother fucker, like if I do a wall squat I get to about a quarter squat position and my face hits the wall. When I grab a doorframe or something and use it as support to squat down I can do em fine, but that actually feels like a workout for my legs, so maybe I just have fucking terribly weak legs? I dunno[/quote]

I’d add good mornings rather than hyper extensions personally.

I am not a kinesiologist but I’m not sure how it would be flexibility related? You are already getting down into the hole properly, it’s simply coming out that is your issue. The rest of your squat looks reasonable to me. Your hips simply move up BEFORE your shoulders which isn’t good. You are getting more of a forward lean from that…and for me in the past, that has been because my back wasn’t strong enough to keep the lean while I was driving out of the bottom (squat AND DL for me).

Do you own a copy of Starting Strength? If not you should buy one.

IMO,… it’s not all that bad of a squat, I think you have to close a hand spacing on the bar which can lead to a balance issue and you need to bring it lower down on the back a little. Your decent is pretty good but looks like your hips and knees are breaking at the same time, also your head points forward coming out of the hole. Try to shoot out of the hole as if you were trying to fall backwards on the way up… yes it sounds dumb but trust me you won’t fall backwards because the load of the bar won’t let you. The best practice I think would be the box squat because you can’t fuck it. Just keep at it and don’t be afraid to just squat with the bar till you get it, even do dumbell squats in front of the mirror and you might see something we haven’t from your video.

All the best,… Edz

I dont think your squat is as bad as you think.

but from what i can see is that you use a shoulder width stance, maybe even closer. try widening your stance to outside shoulder width and push your knees out as you come up.

i found the best remedy for leaning forward was to widen the stance, maybe the grip, drive with the heels and like the other poster said, if its comfortable, use a low bar position across the back rather than sitting on the ledge.

I’ll add some GMs on DL day prolly 5x10, lower the bar, and widen my stance a little. Thanks all, also I will prolly have another of these tomorrow for my DL. Im positive my hips rise faster then my shoulders on that as well.

[quote]thing1 wrote:

Also if I do bodyweight squats I lean forward like a mother fucker, like if I do a wall squat I get to about a quarter squat position and my face hits the wall. When I grab a doorframe or something and use it as support to squat down I can do em fine, but that actually feels like a workout for my legs, so maybe I just have fucking terribly weak legs? I dunno[/quote]

id say you found your problem. you should be able to go down a lot farther on the wall squat, and this seems to suggest your hips lack full range of motion. id spend some time each day working on the wall squat (unweighted obviously) and see if the problem resolves itself.