My Squat Got Worse

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

[quote]scj119 wrote:
I don’t think the other people commenting knew you completed a full smolov cycle a week before starting this one.[/quote]

I didn’t. I did the base cyle, then I rested, then I started the intense.

That’s how you’re supposed to do it, oui?

The base cycle left me feelin’ awesome, the intense is making me feel like shit.
[/quote]

My bad, I totally misread your log.

Apologies![/quote]

Sa’ll good, broseph. My log is kinda rambley/confusing sometimes.

K FRIENDS, on a quest to fix my squat so I can be 100% confident come meet time.

Here is a vid, and I’ll post a box squat video if you tube can hurry tHE EFF UP!!

I know I lean forward a bit, but I have seen many a low bar squaters with a lot of forward learn, and they are stil beastly strong. I tried placing the bar a bit higher, and while my forward lean was reduced, so was my strength. I will take forward lean+low bar over feeling weak anyday.

Yes I am already getting defensive. AHH, I am like that andrew mcinroy kid or whatever minus the awkward poses…

Holy balls those were deep. Only thing I noticed (I had/have this problem too) is that your ass comes up a LITTLE bit before your upper body. When I remember too, driving up with the upper back/traps when I get out of the hole helps me a lot. Also SSB GM’s.

Edit: In all honesty I don’t even know if it’s bad enough to even point out lol. When I had that problem it was much more obvious.

K here are my box squats. THe thing I notice here is after my 2nd rep I may not be staying tight enough and rock too much on the box? Is that life shattering? haha.

UH YA!

DEEP!

[quote]Drake37 wrote:
DEEP![/quote]
LOL

HIGH BAR SQUATS ARE BETTER!

But on a srs note. Why do you think your squat form sucks? That shit looks legit perfect. You stress to much brah. BTW WHAT HAPPENED TO bench bro for life filmin it?

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
those were balls deep.[/quote]

Might have accidentally moved one of the words around in the quote. But yea, I can’t get anywhere near that deep in my squat stance. You crazy.

ZOMG! You mean my shit looks normal? I had invisioned in my head that my form was totally DEFORMED and my squats weren’t really squats. I was worried everyone at the meet was going to think like “WTF IS THAT CHICK DOING?! THAT IS NOt A SQUAT”! OR like 'HOLY tailbone tuckage, her butt wink is shameful, SHAMEFUL!"

BUT I guess it’s fine then? HAHAH The paranoid/OCD/irrational anxious thinker living inside my brain fabricated things once again. DAMN YOU SELF!

It’s like when my heart starts palpitaiting on an escalator cause I think my pant leg is gonna get caught and the escalator will slowly eat me alive. <–NOT likely, but fear ensue’s regardless.

WEll, thanks pals. I guess I just need to eat/recover/get stronger then.

@JACOB:!!! :expressionless:

Form looks pretty good to me. And those are some seriously deep squats.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
K here are my box squats. THe thing I notice here is after my 2nd rep I may not be staying tight enough and rock too much on the box? Is that life shattering? haha.

UH YA!
[/quote]

to me those are touch and go squats, not box squats. semantics i know. i really believe that box squats should have you pushing your hips back so far that your shins are perpendicular.

overall, your squat form i thought was great. what some may call your hips coming up first on the first vid, i would say you got a bit tired and pushed with some hip drive. some facepulls may help with that though.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
ZOMG! You mean my shit looks normal? I had invisioned in my head that my form was totally DEFORMED and my squats weren’t really squats. I was worried everyone at the meet was going to think like “WTF IS THAT CHICK DOING?! THAT IS NOt A SQUAT”! OR like 'HOLY tailbone tuckage, her butt wink is shameful, SHAMEFUL!"

[/quote]

Your squat looks fine from the video, BUT the plates obscur your back/butt at the bottom which is when you would be “tucking”, so no one here can see it. Judging by how you look going down though, I’d be willing to bet it’s a minor tuck at worst.

The only advice I have is that you paused the shit out of a couple reps, try to “bounce” a bit more out of the hole so you get some explosiveness from the stretch reflex. If you can do that while maintaining the same form, it could help.

What I mean by “bounce” is don’t lower yourself quite so slowly, once you get an inch or two from the bottom of the squat, do a brief free-fall and bounce back up.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Dear T-Nation powerlifting men:

[/quote]
Women squat and run Smolov too.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:
i really believe that box squats should have you pushing your hips back so far that your shins are perpendicular.

[/quote]
I agree.

Why are you squatting so deep if you’re training for a powerlifting meet? No fed will require that depth. And you’re giving up pounds.

Good luck to you.

I just started squatting… I weight in at 150 and i stick to strength training when it comes to squats. If you do squats for volume you clearly belong in a wow program for retards. Anyway, i do the same program, 5 sets 5 reps at 70%. And the weights about 255. If you’re knees hurt, your ass isn’t dipping down far enough. Try squatting on a smith machine, easier on you’re knees. Or just don’t squat… leg presses and dead lifts can work just as well.

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:
I just started squatting… I weight in at 150 and i stick to strength training when it comes to squats. If you do squats for volume you clearly belong in a wow program for retards. Anyway, i do the same program, 5 sets 5 reps at 70%. And the weights about 255. If you’re knees hurt, your ass isn’t dipping down far enough. Try squatting on a smith machine, easier on you’re knees. Or just don’t squat… leg presses and dead lifts can work just as well. [/quote]

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:
I just started squatting… I weight in at 150 and i stick to strength training when it comes to squats. If you do squats for volume you clearly belong in a wow program for retards. Anyway, i do the same program, 5 sets 5 reps at 70%. And the weights about 255. If you’re knees hurt, your ass isn’t dipping down far enough. Try squatting on a smith machine, easier on you’re knees. Or just don’t squat… leg presses and dead lifts can work just as well. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:

Don’t think this will go over well…

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:

PowerLifting ElevenMag?

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:

fucking internet

I’d second the comment of the guy who said to hit the hole a little faster. You’re literally pausing some of those reps and killing the stretch reflex. I’d also try cutting them a little bit higher – you are much deeper than you need to be.