My Squat Got Worse

Dear T-Nation powerlifting men:

I have decided to come clean and admit to the world today that I could not complete the smolov intense phase.

Please note the date and time.

June 11th, 2012 approx 8:55am I (Jenn) pussied out and racked my weight before all the reps of my FIRST working set were compelted.

Over the past 10 days all of my squat workouts have been getting harder (mentally and physcially). I felt as though ALL my reps were grinders, which it resulted in less than stellar form.

Examples: Knee cavage, forward leanage, core crumbleage ← don’t know how else to explain that one, bar moving-ness/weight shiftage. I could go on…

Today I decided to take my stance out a bit because when I was analyzing stuff at home in my mirror I noticed it was easier for me to stay upright. This was also true during all my warm up sets and whatnot for today’s shit.
Also, less knee caving, and I felt I better used my hamstrings.
HOWEVER, obviously not happy with the fact that I was not feeling as strong.

The end of my base cycle of smolov had me doing 10 sets of 3 @ 185 and I finished it all. Today I could not even do 175 x 5 ONCE.

SO, uhh I think there’s a question at the end of this pity party somewheres…

Thinking: I could have finally worn myself out a bit too much and it resulted in a deteriorating squat.
Usually my training just affects my bedtime/tv watching (IE I might miss Amercia’s got talent cause I’m tired), but I always ALWAYS feel like killing shit in the gym the next morning.
ALSO, while feet out a bit more looks better, it could have made me weaker due to lack of hip strength, mayhaps? Would anyone agree with this? And if so how can I have stronger hips? I did sumo stance goodmornings today, those felt good. Are those good?

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

All my love,

Jenn N.

Maybe just some quality recovery time but Im no expert

Need more info on your diet, and recovery. But it sounds like you could have just set your training max too high - many people do well to err on the lighter side with these kinds of things.

Video it.

[quote]Jab1 wrote:
Need more info on your diet, and recovery. But it sounds like you could have just set your training max too high - many people do well to err on the lighter side with these kinds of things. [/quote]

Well I am not sure if this will matter, BUT during the base cycle I was a hungry hungry hippo.
I was on paleo cause my digestion is AWFUL, but I made the except during this cycle and ate many boxes of cereal for those three weeks.

However, my stomach could not handle this burden of gluten/dairy digestion I placed upon it, so I cleaned shit up a lot.
I still eat more than most men do though, HA-HA. I have burgers for breakfast, chicken and potatoes post workout, steak for lunch, meatloaf and potatoes for supper, protien powder pancakes for before bed snack.
I feed myself like a queen, really…

Recovery: I do losta foam rolling/stretching/band pull aparts/I walk everywhere and it helps me be less stiff.
I go to bed at 9:31 and wake up around 5:51am.

Do you think I should take weight off my max and finish up the rest of the cycle with less weight? Or should I find a new squat program and start lower and build myself up with this new stance?? HMm

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Video it.[/quote]

I knew someone was going to say that, damn you LM LOL!.

I am kinda scared to video stuff now. It makes me really manic for some reason. It sends my anxiety into this like shakey OMFG I NEED TO CHECK EVERY 6 seconds and see what people are saying about my form/I should berate myself alll Day cause someone say it was sorta goodmorning esq. ect etcc…

ALSO, the downstairs gym where I film has a really sTUPId squat rack with pins that I cannot adjut properly to my 5’0 height (they lost the pins that came with the rack), so it’s not safe squatting there. ANd filming upstairs is almost impossible cause it’s like D-bag/meat head/people talking to me central.

EXCUSES EXCUSES, I KNOWWW.

Cyber pals still??

How many times a week did you squat before this program.

I’ve done the smolov base cycle 3x. Never finished it. Just went as far as I could, then took a week off and smashed PRs. Last time I did it, I was scheduled to do 445x9x3. I did 445x3, 445x1, 445x2 before giving up.

Rest a week. Test. You might be surprised.

Aren’y tou combining Smolov with another routine for bench, and then changing them all to fit your schedule?

I don’t know much about eithe rprogram, but that was what I gathered from your log.

If you weren’t actually following the program, that could be why.

I may be off base here though so forgive me if I am.

Also, you changed your stance TODAY. You cant expect instant carryover. When you change your stance, even if it is a stronger stance (for you), YOU WILL BE WEAKER INITIALLY.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
How many times a week did you squat before this program.[/quote]

Uhh at least 5.

FOr a while I squatted daily cause I was on my own made up program that I based on how I felt and I always felt like squatting, heh.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Aren’y tou combining Smolov with another routine for bench, and then changing them all to fit your schedule?

I don’t know much about eithe rprogram, but that was what I gathered from your log.

If you weren’t actually following the program, that could be why.

I may be off base here though so forgive me if I am.

Also, you changed your stance TODAY. You cant expect instant carryover. When you change your stance, even if it is a stronger stance (for you), YOU WILL BE WEAKER INITIALLY.[/quote]

I am on smolov JR for my bench, but I haven’t changed anything around.

I only squat 3 times a week on this part of smolov so it’s easy to fit in my benching around those days. I think so at least.

COuld this be an issue as well? I always find my bench days so awesome/easy, but I guess they could somehow be fucking over some of my squat recovery??

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

Video it.[/quote]

I am kinda scared to video stuff now. It makes me really manic for some reason. It sends my anxiety into this like shakey OMFG I NEED TO CHECK EVERY 6 seconds and see what people are saying about my form/I should berate myself alll Day cause someone say it was sorta goodmorning esq. ect etcc…

ALSO, the downstairs gym where I film has a really sTUPId squat rack with pins that I cannot adjut properly to my 5’0 height (they lost the pins that came with the rack), so it’s not safe squatting there. ANd filming upstairs is almost impossible cause it’s like D-bag/meat head/people talking to me central.

Cyber pals still?? [/quote]

If you want to video and send to me or only other select posters that way you’re not getting random advice and feel like you constantly have to check it/minimize anxiety feel free - it honestly is the best way to help you. Ask a dbag to film for you that’s what I do. Think of it as meet prep - people watch you in the meet lifting and if you film it’s someone simply doing the same thing.

Ask a dbag to film for you that’s what I do. Think of it as meet prep - people watch you in the meet lifting and if you film it’s someone simply doing the same thing.[/quote]

We always travel to different gyms for a couple of the last SQ,BP,& DL sessions to challange the ‘comfort zone’.

I’m sorry to hear of your smolov troubles! I did smolov not too long ago. The intense phase does border on lunacy. I am pretty sure your squat hasn’t gotten weaker though. Given a week or two of deloading/rest I think you’ll find your squat stronger than at any point during the actual program. If you’re calling your smolov adventures done for now, then I hope you know that you still got WAY further than probably 99% of people who try this program. Your progress is definitely something to be proud of.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m sorry to hear of your smolov troubles! I did smolov not too long ago. The intense phase does border on lunacy. I am pretty sure your squat hasn’t gotten weaker though. Given a week or two of deloading/rest I think you’ll find your squat stronger than at any point during the actual program. If you’re calling your smolov adventures done for now, then I hope you know that you still got WAY further than probably 99% of people who try this program. Your progress is definitely something to be proud of.[/quote]

Who cares if you get farther than 99% of people? That’s like saying you won the special olympics…at the end of the day you’re still retarded (no offense meant towards the handicapped).

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

Video it.[/quote]

Cyber pals still?? [/quote]

If you want to video and send to me or only other select posters that way you’re not getting random advice and feel like you constantly have to check it/minimize anxiety feel free - it honestly is the best way to help you. Ask a dbag to film for you that’s what I do. Think of it as meet prep - people watch you in the meet lifting and if you film it’s someone simply doing the same thing.[/quote]

Thanks buddy! That sounds not so scary at all. I’ll attempt to make a vid ASAP

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m sorry to hear of your smolov troubles! I did smolov not too long ago. The intense phase does border on lunacy. I am pretty sure your squat hasn’t gotten weaker though. Given a week or two of deloading/rest I think you’ll find your squat stronger than at any point during the actual program. If you’re calling your smolov adventures done for now, then I hope you know that you still got WAY further than probably 99% of people who try this program. Your progress is definitely something to be proud of.[/quote]

AWWW, that makes me feel wayy less shitty! Thanks :slight_smile:

I HAVE A PLAN:
Few days rest from squatting
Take some weightage off my max
Re plug it into the trusty ol’ calculator
Back track a few workouts and then finish this mutha UP!

Sound okay?

Haha, I like how I attempt to say it with confidence, but then ask for reassurance.

Ah well, that’s how I roll…

Yeah when you stall just dial it back a bit, rest, and come back fresh!

[quote]csulli wrote:

Who cares if you get farther than 99% of people? That’s like saying you won the special olympics…at the end of the day you’re still retarded (no offense meant towards the handicapped).[/quote]

IDK man, I think that’s a pretty good start. Being the record holder is great I’m sure but you got no where to go but down. I’d be happy with being better than most while I still focus on bettering myself. No one stays on top for long anyways… It’s all about me in this game, me beating the me of last week and so on. I’m sure that’s what you meant when you insulted the ra-tards :wink:

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

I HAVE A PLAN:
Few days rest from squatting
Take some weightage off my max
Re plug it into the trusty ol’ calculator
Back track a few workouts and then finish this mutha UP!

[/quote]

Ah that is great news!