My squat forms sucks...here's my plan.

After putting some effort into looking at it, I realized that I squat like crap, straight up and down. Like most people, I seem to be unable to “sit back” into the squat like you’re supposed to. The main reason for this seems to be that my hams and glutes aren’t strong enough (or I could be way off).

To try and fix this, I want to do some box squats and other exercises to develop posterior chain strength. I realize that the following routine is not quite balanced from top to bottom, but I’d like to try it for a few weeks and see how it works out. Keep in mind that because I am new to both the box squat and the power clean, these exercises will be performed with little to no weight.

Saxon Side Bend: Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

Glute Ham Raise: Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

Monday
Box Squat 5 x 5
Good Morning 5 x 5
Glute Ham Raise 3 x 8
Saxon Side Bend 3 x 6
HIIT

Wednesday
Power Clean 6 x 3
Incline Bench Press 3 x 6
Pullup 3 x 6
Bent Row 2 x 10
Shoulder Press 2 x 10
HIIT

Friday
Box Squat 5 x 5
Romanian Deadlift 5 x 5
Glute Ham Raise 3 x 8
Leg Raise 3 x 8
HIIT

Whaddya think?

Your program looks pretty good. Don’t worry about it being “balanced” for right now. If you take a snapshot look at someone’s workout routine, it would rarely look balanced during any given training cycle. The key is that it’s balanced over time.

A few suggestions:

• Try reverse hypers instead of glute ham raises one day per week.
  • it’s a good idea to start out light on the exercises you’re not used to, but you will probably be able to add weight to the box squat fairly quickly. Just make sure your depth is at or below parallel.
  • In regard to powercleans, starting out light may not be enough. You really need to have a qualified person teach you correct form. Until you can find someone to do this for you, replace the cleans with db squat jumps.

It could be weak hammies/glutes, tight quads, or both.

Strengthening hams/glutes would certainly help here, as would stretching the quads.

Obviously checking both the flexibility and strength in the quads/hams/glutes would help you make sure this is the problem.

You would be better off doing like 20 sets of 2. that way fatique wont effect your sets as much as doing 5 reps. You also get 20 first reps.