My Squat Depth Sucks - Help!

Hey T-Nation long time lurker and just signed up today in hope for some advice!
So basically I can never get any depth when I squat and I was wondering if any of you could help me out with my form, I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is me in two videos squatting 142.5kg & 100kg for 5 reps.

- YouTube - 142.5kg
- YouTube - 100kg

I just see white boxes, no videos. I don’t know if everyone has the same problem or my computer is just being weird. But if you fix it I’ll definitely take a look

[quote]N.K. wrote:
I just see white boxes, no videos. I don’t know if everyone has the same problem or my computer is just being weird. But if you fix it I’ll definitely take a look[/quote]

That should be it sorted?

First is definitely high, although not by a ton; a half inch or maybe an inch, I would say. The second video looks fine. Your cameraman sucks and the angle isn’t the best, though.

You also have one of the weirdest squat forms I’ve ever seen.

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
First is definitely high, although not by a ton; a half inch or maybe an inch, I would say. The second video looks fine. Your cameraman sucks and the angle isn’t the best, though.

You also have one of the weirdest squat forms I’ve ever seen.[/quote]

How so?
And is my buttwink gonna mess up my lower back? like it rounds slightly in the 100kg vid

Drop weight, mobility work, mobility work, mobility work.

Search for the 3rd world squat article.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Drop weight, mobility work, mobility work, mobility work.

Search for the 3rd world squat article.[/quote]
what mobility work? 3rd world squats?

Buttwink won’t hurt you. Find me a good raw squatter that has absolutely no buttwink.

Agreed. I would also add you seemed to lean forward at the beginning of a few lifts not sure why.

I agree on the camera angle. It’s really hard to see the depth with the angle that. Post another video if you can.

It’s not like you’re half squatting or anything. Depth isn’t bad, but it’s hard to tell with the angle and baggy shorts. It could be just an issue of sitting back more or having tight hips.

Form doesn’t look to bad to me. Don’t worry about the butt wink. The depth is close, but definitely not horrible.

I would suggest trying to keep your chest up a little more. While it isn’t dropping a ton, if you can keep your torso a little more vertical and jack out your knees, it will help your get a little bit lower.

Also, be honest with yourself. Are you getting to depth with lighter weights? if so, then you are just changing your form when the weight gets heavy. You need to check your ego, take the weight back, and build up your strength with a better range if motion. BUT, if you can’t even get to depth with 135 or so, then your probably have really bad mobility. Stretch, sit in the bottom of a squat for 5 - 10 minutes a day, and just work on getting comfortable in the rock bottom of a squat. It will take time but you’ll get there.

Your starting position looks very similar to how mine used to be, I just compensated for it with more hip flexibility. Because your starting position is so inclined you don’t have enough “space” at the bottom for your hips to open up.

Mobility wise check this out: http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/08/dont-go-in-pain-cave.html

You also might want to experiment with a slightly higher bar position. Not a high bar squat, just something an inch or two higher than you are using now.

This is quite a bit how my squat looked not too long ago. The cue that fixed it was to focus on initiating the movement by moving your ass/hips back, rather than bending at the knees. You arent getting that last bit of depth because at that angle, your knees would have to shoot way over your toes. This creates extra ROM and knee problems too.

Thanks guys I’m greatly appreciative!
My depth with 100 is no real difference my butt winks and I feel uncomfortable.
I will stretch everyday from now on.
What do you think I should do with my squat now then on push days should I just stick at a light weight for a few weeks to concentrate on form then work my way back?

I dont get what the deal is with mobility work. I havent done any stretching or foam rolling whatsoever for at least a year and ive hardly lost any flexibility at all.

Guys comparing my 100kg vid to 142.5kg should I just lower the weight and really aim for that depth?
So my lower back rounding like that is ok?

I wouldn’t bother stretching, I’d just focus on squatting to depth. What prevents you hitting depth? It can sometimes be more of a mental block than a physical limitation. Can you hit depth okay with 50 on? If so then it would be mental…