My Spine

Im a college student so i sit down a lot and often i am sitting in weird and “lazy” positions because of discomfort when sitting normal.

My doctor will give me an answer on tuesday and i guess he will recommend a chiropractor.
I live in Denmark and i know very little about our health care system, so i actually dont know if can choose who is going to treat me.

No, i haven’t felt anything unusual but the pain, which buy the way is disappearing.
I just hope that is not that bad.
From reading Cressey’s “lower Back savers” i would say that i also got Anterior Pelvic Tilt, i dont know if this is related?

Thank you for your comments so far.
Back to McGill

Until Tuesday, when you are sitting and standing try to correct your posture. Posture youself as if someone had a string tied to the very top of your head and was pulling up. I believe that with correcting this and stretching out your hip flexors and work on strengthening your core, your pain should become less severe, but again this is just a suggestion since I cannot examine you.

Good Luck

I too have lower back pain (sometimes) and I have “tilted hips” as my chiro calls it. Basically my spine is straight but as it nears the connection with the hips it curves a bit because the hips are tilted. I went to the chiro after the worst pain ever was felt in my lower back unracking only 135lbs out of the squat rack. I haven’t squatted since. That was a life changing moment. It now randomly hurts when bending over in certain ways. I’m only 24, fuck that.

What’s the best way to stretch hip flexors?

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
I too have lower back pain (sometimes) and I have “tilted hips” as my chiro calls it. Basically my spine is straight but as it nears the connection with the hips it curves a bit because the hips are tilted. I went to the chiro after the worst pain ever was felt in my lower back unracking only 135lbs out of the squat rack. I haven’t squatted since. That was a life changing moment. It now randomly hurts when bending over in certain ways. I’m only 24, fuck that.

What’s the best way to stretch hip flexors?[/quote]

So why didn’t your chiro suggest that he correct your leg length discrepancy with orthotics?

BBB[/quote]

My chiro may suck for all I know. I certainly am not a chiro nor have the knowledge to know if he sucks.

He popped me in several places and twisted on my hips to pop my lower back and hips. He said to actually fix the problem I would need to come in a bunch… like every day for 2 weeks, every other day for 2 weeks, then once or twice a week for a month or 2. It would cost me over $1000 out of pocket after insurance, so I’ve put it off so far.

Would you say to find another chiro?

When you say tilted do you mean tilted forward and back , or left and right, if its tilted forward or back read the articles lower back savers I posted in this thread, if its left or right still read the articles I posted listen to BBB and read Stuart Mcgill’s stuff.

[quote]JoabSonOfZeruiah wrote:
When you say tilted do you mean tilted forward and back , or left and right, if its tilted forward or back read the articles lower back savers I posted in this thread, if its left or right still read the articles I posted listen to BBB and read Stuart Mcgill’s stuff.[/quote]

Ah, good question.

I don’t remember which hip is higher, but yes, I mean left and right. I think my left hip is higher than the right hip. It looks bad on the x-ray because the spinal structure curves near the base to “enter” my hips.

Picture is exaggerated but you get the point. Front view. Notice as it nears the hips it makes a curve. I probably could have done this picture a bit better, heh.

[quote]Syalowicki wrote:
L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 are injured most often in the back. Sometimes seeing a Osteopath, or DO, for manual gental manipulation can be benefitual. You can look up doctors of DO online. They are much different than Chiros as they are also Medical Doctors, so they treat the patient as a whole and deal with body mechanics. Bottome line make an appointment with a DO. Here is a website where you can locate one in your area.

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=findado_main

Any more questions PM me as I am a practicing doctor, but do not specialize in Osteopathics[/quote]

Nice try, but wrong.

DCs are called that because they are Doctors of chiropractic. Just the same as your DO, but different/better/worse, depending on the individual practitioner.

BBB[/quote]

Fair enough. I suppose I am just a bit bias because of the fellow doctors I work with. They tend to rub off on me in a bad way. Your advice is much more sound for a spinal injury, I have had little experience with them, I am a Somnologist. Are you a practicing DC?

Squats and milk.

I also recommend you to read the “Neanderthal No More 1-5” series by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson on this site. Part 3 case study 2 seems interesting as there is a guy who hip is higher on one side as well.

My unprofessional diagnostic would be that you have a case of minor scoliosis (maybe it is just starting out). I’d reccomend a few sessions with an orthopedist or some phisiotherapy. Also, a corset can definatley help out with the pain.

If it is scoliosis, it is reversable as long as you get your spine aligned by someone who is good at it and take goo care about posture, including when sleeping.

Regarding hip flexing, I recently injured by left hip flexors and found that lunges are very good to alleviate the pain and help with mobility. Read http://www.drclay.com/2010/01/a-stretch-you-must-do/.

As a side note, attempt to always sleep on your back, keep as straight as possible with a small pillow between your knee caps. I found it also helps with keeping a healthy back.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:

[quote]JoabSonOfZeruiah wrote:
When you say tilted do you mean tilted forward and back , or left and right, if its tilted forward or back read the articles lower back savers I posted in this thread, if its left or right still read the articles I posted listen to BBB and read Stuart Mcgill’s stuff.[/quote]

Ah, good question.

I don’t remember which hip is higher, but yes, I mean left and right. I think my left hip is higher than the right hip. It looks bad on the x-ray because the spinal structure curves near the base to “enter” my hips.

Picture is exaggerated but you get the point. Front view. Notice as it nears the hips it makes a curve. I probably could have done this picture a bit better, heh.[/quote]

Well it would seem to me that your chiro is a lying, cheating, robbing prick.

Since we stand upright, the lateral tilt of your hips comes from the fact that one leg is longer than the other. It cannot be ‘fixed’ by any means other than building up the length of the other leg (with shoe inserts - don’t worry, no one will see them) or if the length difference is minor, then it may just be a collapsed arch in the short leg. This still requires an orthotic insert.

Unless your chiro is planning on performing surgery to cut down the long leg, there is no way to correct the issue, other than orthotics.

However, it takes skill to accurately prescribe orthotics. He likely does not posess this (nor di I, currently) and lacks the integrity to refer out to a proper expert.

So he has tried to sell you a $1000 ‘cure’ which will not work.

Go and see an orthopod/orthotic shoe expert. Do not pay more than $250 for individually prescribed, bespoke shoe inserts. DO NOT accept ‘off the shelf’ items. Your foot and gait will need to be analysed manually and possibly electronically.

BBB[/quote]

Wow, thanks for the info. I’m also flat footed (on both feet), and have been through hell and back finding shoes that I can run in without shin and foot pain. The idea of adding an orthotic sucks.

I have to look on my insurance website to see who they cover. What specific things should I ask for to see if they know what they’re doing?

[quote]Syalowicki wrote:

[quote]Syalowicki wrote:
L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 are injured most often in the back. Sometimes seeing a Osteopath, or DO, for manual gental manipulation can be benefitual. You can look up doctors of DO online. They are much different than Chiros as they are also Medical Doctors, so they treat the patient as a whole and deal with body mechanics. Bottome line make an appointment with a DO. Here is a website where you can locate one in your area.

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=findado_main

Any more questions PM me as I am a practicing doctor, but do not specialize in Osteopathics[/quote]

Nice try, but wrong.

DCs are called that because they are Doctors of chiropractic. Just the same as your DO, but different/better/worse, depending on the individual practitioner.

BBB[/quote]

Fair enough. I suppose I am just a bit bias because of the fellow doctors I work with. They tend to rub off on me in a bad way. Your advice is much more sound for a spinal injury, I have had little experience with them, I am a Somnologist. Are you a practicing DC?
[/quote]

I trained as a chiro but call myself an Osteomyologist for political and philosophical reasons. Having studied with 90 others i my student cohort, I realised that more than a few of them were so ineffectual that they would give chiropractic a bad name and that I could offer a more in depth service without the limiting tag of ‘chiropractor’.

Somnologist eh? Sounds quite interesting. I take it you do sleep studies and such?

BBB[/quote]

Yes Lots of sleep studies. The Polysomnographs can show just about any irregularities that cause lack of quality sleep. Recently I have been working with alot of pediatric patients. So any questions about REM sleep or sleep in general I may be able to help.