My Shoulders Hurt

I wasn’t supposed to snatch heavy today. I just did a heavy session yesterday with weights beyond my daily max. I was going to starbucks but the gym was nearby so I figured “What the heck. Why not work on my technique?” I did some hang snatches with the bar with a full-squat catch but since I was feeling “just fine,” I was tempted to do the MAX WEIGHTS that I did yesterday. I was so dumb…

I failed once, failed twice, and now my shoulders are aching… here at starbucks… as I am typing this…

So are shoulder aches normal?

EDIT: I feel alot better now but boy, they were such a pain in the ass a while ago.

I did a session today. Squats, power snatches, power cleans and push presses, and Romanian deadlifts.

After doing the power snatches, I FELT EXTREME ACHING ON MY SHOULDERS! I then proceeded to do power cleans and push presses. Although I feel almost no pain WHILE I LIFT, there are major aches afterwards and I fear I may get injured.

I really do appreciate any feedback on this.

I don’t drop weights from overhead because the gym has yet to put a lifting platform (which is coming soon). The sad thing is, the platform will be close to the mirror and the manager of the gym does not allow me to bring my own bumper plates because he’s afraid “they may bounce on the mirror.”

Although I never really try to fully control the weight down (which would be CRAZY of me) even though I don’t just drop it, is it still a bad thing and can cause major injuries quickly?

Ouch… Still hurting here in my living room…

How about switching to Powerlifting-style weightlifting?

UPDATE:

I did more cleans today after doing romanian deadlifts. It was a technique issue.

Lesson learned: DURING A CLEAN OR A POWER CLEAN (OR A WHATEVER CLEAN), EITHER CATCH IT THE RIGHT WAY OR JUST DUMP IT. CATCHING IT IN A POSITION WHERE THE BAR IS TOO FORWARD TO WHERE IT’S BEYOND YOUR DELTOIDS CAN CAUSE MAJOR PAINS IN YOUR ROTATOR CUFFS.

I must admit that after that session I still DID FEEL pain, but definitely not as bad as the first time around when I was doing it the wrong way.

if the pain is from the bar chaffing your shoulders/arms or hits you its probably nothing major.

In general if you feel the same pain twice in a row be careful. Could mean to stop anything related, or take it slow or stretch/foam roll and see what happens.

you should really post a video of your lifts.

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
if the pain is from the bar chaffing your shoulders/arms or hits you its probably nothing major.

In general if you feel the same pain twice in a row be careful. Could mean to stop anything related, or take it slow or stretch/foam roll and see what happens.

you should really post a video of your lifts.[/quote]

Thank you and will do.

Pain on shoulders due to bruising from front squats isn’t really an issue.