T Nation

My Shoulder Conundrum?

So I read “shoulder savers I-III”, and have various questions, but first heres some background info.

I dont really have a shoulder injury, but instead a slight case of thoracic outlet syndrome. Most likely its caused and aggravaded by bad posture, which I am trying to correct. I would also like to make my routine shoulder friendly; at least for the time being, until my shoulder(s) get better. Sometimes I feel it in both shoulders.

I never really have any pain, but have some tightness in my neck and upper chest, as well as occasional numbness and aching down my arm.

Heres the exercises i currently do, and im mainly training for strength.

Squat
Deadlift
DB bench
DB Shoulder press
Leg curls
1-leg machine squats
Pullups
DB cleans
DB snatches

Of those exercises im thinking of eliminating

DB shoulder press
DB cleans
DB snatches.

So I read the shoulder saver articles, and am thinking i’ll cut out some exercises, and switch to limited ROM bench presses.

Here’s my questions.

1. For Limited ROM bench press, the author recomended floor presses. Ive never tried these, could i just do regular DB bench and not go down as far, or do i need the floor there.

2. Is pullups, deadlift, and seated cable rows enough work for my back

3. Im tempted to drop most of my upper body work, and focus just on deadlift, squats and pullups. Is this a good or bad idea, or should i just cut my upper body pushing volume in half?

Any further advice is greatly appreciated, and im going to try much of what i read in the shoulder saver articles, like the serratus anterior activation stuff, etc. Thank you.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Here’s my questions.

1. For Limited ROM bench press, the author recomended floor presses. Ive never tried these, could i just do regular DB bench and not go down as far, or do i need the floor there.
    [/quote]
    The floor helps support your back and shoulders. Do them on the floor.

[quote]
2. Is pullups, deadlift, and seated cable rows enough work for my back[/quote]

Swap out the cable rows for inverted rows, aka “fat boy pullups”. Initiate the movement by squeezing your shoulder blades together.

[quote]
3. Im tempted to drop most of my upper body work, and focus just on deadlift, squats and pullups. Is this a good or bad idea, or should i just cut my upper body pushing volume in half? [/quote]

Keep on with upper body work, but with good choices of movements and correct form.