My Routine: Powerlifting

This seem decent.?

Saturday- Sumo deads 1-3-5(diff ew, also doing rack pulls eow or heavy deficits), followed by 3x8-10 conventional deficit deads
Speed Squats-10x2 and eow high rep olympic squats 3x8
Heavy Rows-3x6-8
Shrugs-2x10,1x10 Behind Neck
Hypers Abs

Sunday - Bench 1,3 or 5rm followed by set of ten with wide medium and close grip
Bench lockouts-1x5
Incline Dumbells-4-10
Laterals and rear delt flyes -2x10
Standing Overhead tri ext-4x10-12

Tuesday-Squat-1,3 or 5 rm( eow half squats)
Speed deads with bands(standing on bands) 8x2( Lunges here eow in 6-8 range)
SL dead lifts 3x8 (Good mornings on weeks I do lunges)
Leg Press- start with 4 plates for 15 add a plate till cant get 15
Leg ext-3x10
Leg curls-3x10
ABS

Wedneday- Military Press- work to a 5 rm then do 2x10 Behind neck holding lockout for 1-2 sec
Speed Bench-10x2 w bands
Dumbell Bench-3x8
Weighted Dips -3x6-8
Tricep Pushdown-4x10-12
( would do speed bench first but found my Tris are very strong but delts need more work. Last Pr set I had upped Military press from sets of 185 after bench work to 225 for reps done first.

No. It looks like various different ideas got thrown together with very little thought. If you want to improve your total, train to do that. A good way is to pick a powerlifting or strength program: 531, Cube, Candito, Juggernaut are just four options.

If you’re dead set on programming for yourself follow a few principles:

1. Focus on your competition lifts (not variations);
  2. Per day, do one variation after the main lift. Think hard about which ones are most effective (often the ones that suck the most to do), and cycle them every four to six weeks;
  3. Do not exceed 90% of your true max in training;
  4. Do not overthink or over focus on assistance. Two per session is generally fine. IMO if in doubt, row and GHR for over 10 reps per set. Cycle them too;
  5. Get into the habit of never missing a lift.

If you actually do that program as you have it written, I can see myself burning out pretty quickly. Matter of fact, I’ve done programming similar to what you have there and the strength comes quick, but so do the negatives. Take it from someone who’s learning that lesson - start light and add weight over the course of time.

Find a program that allows you to use lighter weights in the beginning and get gradually heavier as the cycle moves forward and then repeat. Over time your body will thank you and your numbers should climb with minimal injury providing your form is good.

I know the programming you have for the main lifts works very well in short bursts, but it will catch up with you quickly and the desire to lift will begin to fade due to over training.

1 Like

I think I see what you’re trying to do, but I don’t think it’s the best way to do it.

You want to combine training for multiple different strength qualities. There’s a already a template out there that can do that. It’s called Westside-Barbell Conjugate Method. The biggest drawback people bring up about it is that it doesn’t train the actual comp lifts enough, especially for raw lifters, but with some simple modifications that’s not a problem.

What I did to a significant degree of success is that on the DE days, I did the DE work like the typical Westside template suggests, but I would then do the actual comp lift afterwards using the lower to mid range of Prilepin’s table in the 70-85% range. I counted the work I did with the comp lift the supplementary lift so I went straight to assistance and accessories afterwards.

Sometimes, I would instead do small jumps up to a 5, 3, or 1 with a couple reps left in the tank ensuring I practiced with good form. I would also go easy on the ME work on the same week I went heavy with the comp lift. If I was close to wanting to max out on a lift, I would do a 3 week peaking cycle for the comp lift and cut out ME work.

When you’re new to this Method or still somewhat of a beginner-low intermediate, you’ll want to choose almost entirely ME exercises that closely mimic the comp lift. Like close grip bench press, deadlift off a boxes from shin height, opposite bar position squats (low vs high bar squat). The exception could be if your joints feel like dog-shit, you could sub front squats for what you originally planned since it’s a more joint friendly movement.

If you’re going to try something like I outlined, give it a fair chance because it can take a while to tinker with to figure out what works for you, but also keep an open enough mind to realize that this may not be the kind of thing that works for you is my suggestion.

There’s a Westside Method thread on this site if you want to learn more about it.

Thanks for all the advice. I will re read all and take all into consideration. I change my routines every couple months anyways. This has been working well for dead as Ive increased my max from 625-655 and am sure i can hit 675. My Squat has seemed to work well on this to but my bench has dropped. Ill check out some of the 1st posters program suggestions though I do not like the 531. Ive heard good things about cube and juggernaut though.