T Nation

My Routine is All Wrong...Help!

I read a very good article here on T-Nation today about hypertrophy.

It said that if you want to build muscle you should DITCH THE FULL BODY WORKOUTS.

I have been doing full body workouts three times a week for the past year and a half during both my bulking and cutting sessions.

The article said that you should focus on one or two muscle groups and put a lot of stress on them during each training session… and to only train each muscle group once per week.

Here is what my current routine looks like:

Bench 3X10
Squats 3X8
Deadlift 3X8
Rowing 3X10
Tricep Dips 3X12
Pullups 2X7
lat pulldown 1X10
shoulder press 2X10
crunches 2X20
bicycle kick ab exercise 2X20

Most of the exercises that I do are compound exercises, hitting multiple muscles… so I need some help to develop a new routine!

I want to starting lifting four times a week focusing on 2 muscle groups each session.

Can someone please help me to form a routine?!

I wonder if the author meant that if you’ve been doing full-body workouts for a while, switching to body part training may help reignite muscle growth?

Either way, there are plenty programs available. Check out Chad Waterbury’s Anti Bodybuilding for Hypertrophy 1 and 2 programs. They sound like what you’re looking for; basically an upper/lower split every other day.

Here’s a link: http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=307hyper2

First, be careful anytime anyone starts talking in absolutes in this game. There are really very few absolutes and to suggest that any one method of training (full body, splits, etc…) is useless for building muscle is most likely either hyperbole or some sort of sales pitch.

Before I suggest a routine to you let me first ask you a couple questions. The answers will help to point you in the right direction.

1. Goals?

2. Has your current routine been producing results up until now?

3. Diet?

4. Experience, progress so far?

Maybe you could use something like an upper/lower split like WS4SB. Part 3 of that series would let you lift 4 days/week. Besides getting way stronger and better athletically you can gain a ton of muscle. I don’t think you should be doing the same workout 3x/week for 18 months and see results the entire time.

Bench
Incline
Dips
flys

Squats
Stiff leg Deadlift
Lunges
Leg curls
crunches
bicycle kick ab exercise

Rowing
Rowing
Pullups
lat pulldown

Shoulder press
close grip bench
side laterals
pushdown
Face pulls
Barbell curls
Shrugs

That looks like way too much for a single session to me. If you’ve only been lifting a year and a half you shouldn’t really be designing you own workouts yet in my opinion. Especially with all the great free ones T-Nation has here.

The ABBH 1&2 that was recommended is great for beginners, but it also depends on your goals. From the little info though I don’t know if I’d use WS4SB for hypertroghy, but it is very doable and a great program. I got great strength gains with it, but that was my goal.
Spend some time reading up on nutrition articles and some of the coaches articles.

I have my favorites, but you might respond better to your own picks after reading some. Don’t jump around programs too much if you start a program give it time to work before you jump to a new one and don’t modify it if you can help it. A little knowledge and advice from regulars like Sento and a few others who help people here will get you where you want to be.

Chris Shugart’s article, perhaps, I’m guessing. The one about “changing up.”

I happen to disagree with it, although not the concept - I just think he is wrong in thinking that most trainees (well, me anyway) don’t change their workouts enough. Progressively changing the volume, then the exercises, then the frequency, then the implements…etc…seems to work great for me. I don’t think I would experience a huge growth spurt if I were to switch to some type of training vastly different from what I’m doing now. What I’m doing now works great, and I don’t think going to a new gym and doing triceps kickbacks or machine work would do better.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
First, be careful anytime anyone starts talking in absolutes in this game. There are really very few absolutes and to suggest that any one method of training (full body, splits, etc…) is useless for building muscle is most likely either hyperbole or some sort of sales pitch.

Before I suggest a routine to you let me first ask you a couple questions. The answers will help to point you in the right direction.

1. Goals?

2. Has your current routine been producing results up until now?

3. Diet?

4. Experience, progress so far?[/quote]

+1 for Sentoguy’s comments. Be careful about taking any one person’s comments as gospel, often its six one way and half a dozen the other. Both will work…if you do. And thats really the key.