My road to 1500

I use it to describe anything noticeably closer than my comp grip. That said, apart from being the bad squat ideas guy I’m also part of the misusing terminology team.

2 Likes

I’m same as Mark, I just use the term for anything narrower than my comp grip. I use slightly less than a full thumb away from the smooth part of the bar, I cant comfortabley get my hands any closer than that!

3 Likes

29-6-17
Deadlift

Foam roll legs and back, banded side steps

Deadlift 60kg 2x5, 100kg x5, 140kg x5, 180kg x3, 200kg x3, 220kg x3

1 inch Deficit Deadlifts 160kg 3x5
GHRs 3x8
Front Squats 90kg 3x5
BB Rows 100kg 4x8

Speed Pulls 140kg x8 singles

Deadlifts and slowly starting to feel better, my positioning feels a lot tighter! GHRs, just wow!! Been to a new gym and they have a proper Glute Ham Raise, they feel so good! Couldn’t actually manage anymore than 8 reps!

Hamstrings and Glutes are aching slightly already. 220kg triple was pretty quick so i’m happy about that!

1 Like

1-7-16
Bench

Stretch shoulders, chest and hips, band dislocations, band pullaparts

Bench 20kg 2x5, 60kg 2x5, 80kg x5, 100kg x3, 120kg x1, 125kg 4x4

Pin Press 80kg 3x8
CG Inc Bench 80kg 3x10
Pullups x9, 8, 7, 7
Cable Flys 4 plates 3x12
Dips 3x10

Bench felt really good today, had a buddy with me watching my form, he had me make some small alterations to my setup, and my elbow issue sorted itself out! All it took was a little more arch

1 Like

3-7-17
Squat and Bench

Leg swings, banded side steps, hip stretch

High Bar Squat 20kg 2x10, 60kg x8, 100kg x5, 140kg x5, 160kg x5, 170kg 3x5

Paused High Bar Squat 140kg 3x5 paused just above parallel

Bench 20kg 2x8, 60kg x5, 80kg x5, 100kg x5, 120kg x1, 125kg x1

CG Bench 100kg x8, 110kg x8, 120kg x6

Inc CG Bench 80kg 3x12

Did Squat and Bench today because theres a small inter-gym meet happening this weekend that I signed up for before I enterred the BPU Qualifier, so I’ll be doing that this weekend. I’ll be hitting Deads tomorrow then taking the rest of the week off.

Decided to work with High bar today. It’s not a variation I train so didn’t want to push too hard, but its something I’ll be using in the future. It felt a little strange, and my traps definately know about it but they’ll get used to it!

I didn’t intentionally pause my squats so high, I wanted then just above parallel but I guess thats something I’ll get used to the more I do them.

Last set of High Bar, and Paused:

2 Likes

4-7-17
Deadlift

Leg swings, stretch hips

Deadlift 60kg 2x5, 100kg 2x3, 140kg x3, 160kg 8x2

Romanian Deadlifts 140kg 3x6
GHR 3x8
Front Squat 80kg 3x5

2 Likes

So, Meet day!!

Some good, some bad.

I’m pretty pissed off and disappointed overall, I set 2 PBs and managed to total less than I did at my last meet!

Squats were feeling really good, opened 200kg and it flew, 220kg for a 2nd shot up, 235kg went up, albeit a little grindy… Gotta love those 6 second reps!

Bench, again felt good! 130kg opener went up well, 145kg second moved quite nicely, 152.5kg third stalled about 4 -5 inches off my chest, pretty much same as last meet!

Deadlift… Wow, this is where the shit hit the fan! Warmups felt pretty good, although we had to warm up on a stiff power bar! Took 220kg for my opener, moved the same as it usually does! 245kg for my second, I broke the bar off the floor a few inches, then there was just nothing! My back started to feel like it was giving out so I just dropped the bar! Decided to pass my 3rd, I knew it wasn’t there today!

So I managed to hit a nice 235kg PB On Squat, a 145kg PB on bench, and lose 15kg off my PB total!

I’m at a total loss as to where to go from here with regards to my Deadlift, its pure garbage and I’m feeling pretty fed up! I’m trying not to think about it too much today though as I’m not in the right frame of mind to make a good decision about it!

2 Likes

The biggest thing is not to get in your head about it. You’ve got a fair idea of what’s holding you back, so there’s one bonus. It could also be that you’re training the DL too much, instead of training the DL muscles.

Don’t worry. You hit two PRs, which is great. Your DL let you down, but that’s OK, because now you’ll fix it.

3 Likes

Thats the thing, I’m at a total loss over it really!

I had been focusing on my Hammis and Glutes as causing the weakness, and although its only been 5-6 week since I started doing this, I thought I’d ateast have been able to pull what I could before.

245kg yesterday felt unrealistically heavy, and although it would have been a small comp PR, its 15kg under my best gym lift.

My lower back was completely fries by the end of the day, so I dont know whats going on, or really where to go from here… keep on the same track, or look for answers elsewhere

Have to take into account you hit a big squat before you pulled

4 Likes

Thats true man! It’d totally got into my head yesterday!

Try not pulling at all for a week or two. That’s helped me in the past.

2 Likes

Well I’m not training until Thursday this week, and I can’t promise I won’t pull at all, but I can promise it won’t be heavy! Just some light work around the 50-60% range.

1 Like

13-7-17

Squat

Banded side steps, band dislocations, leg swings, stretch glutes / hips / quads

High Bar Squat 20kg 2x6, 60kg x6, 100kg x6, 140kg x6, 155kg 4x6

High Bar Paused Squat 130kg 2x6

Deadlift 140kg 4x6

45 Back Raises 60kg 3x8

First session back, didn’t hit things too hard. Squats felt really good. My knees are feeling good, and I’ve got the next 10 weeks fully programmed out.

I’m going to make a positive effort to give Sumo a chance rather than trying it for 2 sessions, maxing out too early (like 3-4 days after a meet) like an idiot and causing myself knee issues. I’m playing it smart, and taking it kinda slow, working from a 1RM of 220kg (I’m confident I could pull 240kg Sumo)

2 Likes

14-7-17

Bench

Band pullaparts between warmups

Bench 20kg 2x6, 60kg x6, 80kg x6, 95kg x6, 105kg 4x6

WG Bench 90kg 3x6

Pin Press 90kg 3x8
DB Laterals / BB Front Raises ss 15kg / 20kg 3x8
Cable Flys 4 plates 2x12

Decided to call it a day here, my right elbows been complaining a bit today, and I didn’t want to push it too far. Got the whole weekend to recover then Monday is the start of my new training block! Can’t wait!

Pulling Sumo yesterday, even as light as I did, my glutes and hammies are aching like mad today, not to mention my adductors!

1 Like

17-7-17

Squat

Banded side steps, leg swings, foam roll back, hammis, glutes, quads.

High Bar Squats 20kg 2x6, 60kg 2x5, 100kg x5, 140kg x5, 170kg 4x5

Paused High Bar Squat 147.5kg 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 140kg 3x8
BB Rows 120kg 5x5
GHRs 3x8
Chins x10, 10, 10, 8

Felt a little sluggish going into todays session, had a bad weekend with regard to sleep and food… not managed to get enough of either! Soldiered through the session and started to feel a lot better as it went on.

Really looking forward to Wednesdays pull session and getting some work in with my Sumo, got a good Bench session to get through first though.

1 Like

18-7-17

Bench

Stretch upper back, pecs, shoulders, band pullaparts, band dislocations.

Bench 20kg 2x6, 60kg 2x5, 80kg x5, 100kg 2x5, 117.5kg 4x5

CG Bench 105kg 3x5
Inc DB Press 35kg x8, 42.5kg x8, 50kg x6
DB Side Laterals 15kg x8, 17.5kg x8, 20kg x8
BB Seated OHP 60kg x6, 65kg x6, 70kg x6
Cable Flys 3 plates 3x12

No idea whats going on, but I can’t upload my video to YouTube, I’ll try again later.

Bench felt good today, tried benching with my belt on today and I felt like it tightened up my setup from top to bottom!

My right elbow is complaining a little today, I think I may hve tweaked my Bicep and Tricep tendon, as my elbows is a little sore on both sides of my arm. Looks like I’ll have to take some anti-inflamatories for a couple of days and get some ice on it! I’ll grt the Lacrosse ball in there aswell when it feels less sore!

Edit
Heres the Video:

1 Like

19-7-17

Deadlift

Foam roll legs / glutes / back, leg swing, banded side steps, stretch glutes / hip

Deadlift 60kg 2x5, 100kg 2x5, 140kg x5, 160kg x3, 185kg 3x4

Paused Deadlift 147.5kg 2x4
Romanian Deadlift 140kg 3x8
Front Squat 60kg 3x8
Pullups x10, 8, 7, 6
Shrugs 120kg 4x10
GHR Situps 4x12

First High intensity day of my new programming, Sumo felt pretty good, although I’m still not fully comfortable with the movement it does feel good.

I’m thinking I may need to move my RDLs from my Monday Squat day to my Friday Squat day, so I’m a little fresher for Deadlifts on Wednesday, but I’ll run it as is for next week aswell and see how I feel before making any changes

First and Last set of Deadlifts, and last set of Paused:

2 Likes

That looks so much more natural than your conventional. Only thing I noticed was how wide your stance is. I remember reading somewhere that a good place to start is the width where your knees are directly over your ankles when you grab the bar. As you get more comfortable, widen out. That’s worked pretty well for me.

1 Like

Thanks Mark! It feels a lot more natural too!

I played around a bit with stance width, my first set was quite a bit wider than my last set (shins against rings on last set) and that felt about right!

I think I need to learn to sit back more, but I’m sure thats something that will come in time. For now I’m pretty happy overall, I’ll try get some different angles on Friday, I’ve got 4x6 at around 60% as assisstance, try get the form dialled in

1 Like