My road to 1500

Solid lifting, it’s hard to tell but on your Deadlift it looks like the gap between your feet and knees are the same. If this is correct try to push your knees out more. For me my feet are about 5" apart while knees are about 8" apart

2 Likes

Thanks man… I do try to force my knees out, maybe my feet are just too close together for my build, I really don’t know. Today was the final nail in the coffin anyway, I’m going to give Sumo a good 3-4 months and then re-evaluate what I want to do with my deadlift if that doesn’t work for me!

I was able to speak to Jay Hollingsworth for a short while today, and he gave me a few pointers / tips with regards to Sumo pulling, so I’m excited to see how it goes!

2 Likes

That’s a good day’s work.

What I see with your DL is that you get pulled forward, and also that your knees buckle in slightly. Possibly pointing your toes outwards a bit more may help?

With your bench, I think you had 155 kg for sure, but your left elbow wobbles just as you unrack, which is what I think caused the miss.

5 Likes

Thanks man! I think I had that bench too, bit for training purposes i’ll stick to 150 as my 1rm and work based off that, I’d rather work off a number I know I’ve hit.

I can’t really see it on the deadlift, so i’ll take your word for it mate! After sleeping on it, it may be something I come back to in the future, or use as an accessory down the line, but for now I’m focused and excited to be trying something new :slight_smile:

Just rewatched the video. You’re definitely getting pulled forward, but not as soon as you pull, it’s just when the bar has left the ground - exactly where you missed your third. Granted, you’re switching to sumo for the time being so it’s all a bit academic.

1 Like

Thats damn crazy, now that you’ve said exactly where its happening I can see it on every rep! It only looks slight to me but its definately there, thanks man!! Sometimes it just takes a second pir of eyes :slight_smile:

Haha thats true, but atleast I know whats causing it, rather than writing them off and never knowing.

Well, you know what’s happening. What’s causing it is still a bit of a mystery. At a pinch, I’d blame it on your hips shooting up, because it looks like that happens almost simultaneously. I think that’s usually attributed to weak hamstrings, but in your case I’m not convinced that’s it. Maybe weight distribution? If you aren’t sitting into and pushing through your heels I can see that tipping you forward.

1 Like

I think its probably the latter, I’ve never got the whole sitting back part down right, but I also think theres some upper back weakness too that leaves me not being able to hold my back angle.

I’ve got a lot of upper back work planned into my next training block to remedy this.

If anything, I also think my feet are too close for my build, if I open them up a bit I’d probably be able to sit back a bit more comfortabley.

I’m not sure about the upper back - I’ve found upper back tends to play a role higher up, around knee height. If you’re having trouble getting that sit back/push through the heels, I’d say that is most likely the culprit.

1 Like

You’re most likely right. Jay showed me just how far you have to sit back for Sumo pulls and it felt really unnatural, had to hold onto him to stop me falling back! I guess thats where the power comes from though

With sumo, I find it’s necessary to keep your shoulders behind the bar. I find it very helpful for conventional too, but I can usually muscle my way through if I drift forward a bit pulling conventional. With sumo, if I come forward even a smidge before I clear my knees I’m finished. That’s why I’m finding pauses so helpful. I get used to the feel of sitting back, straining and feeling very weak (as I always do at the start of a sumo pull above 200 kg). Just being used to it and being able to be calm is a massive help.

1 Like

Thats good advice, cheers! What percentage do you work with for paused? I’ve got then programmed in but not sure wht to use for then, just a ball park figure will do so I’ve got something to work with

What I’ve started doing is using my first work set, which is 70% of my TM. I could go higher, but I don’t see the point.

1 Like

@MarkKO @Vincepac1500 I think I read in your logs that you guys have Matflexes?

If so, did you go up / down a size or anything, or just grabbed the right size? Theres nowhere that stocks them where I am, so I’m going to have to grab a pair online without trying any on!

I believe I went up half a size. I’ve heard everyone say go up 1 size but I wanted to make sure my feet wouldn’t slip in them. They quickly became my favorite show to lift in.

2 Likes

I’d read the same but just wanted some more opinions on sizing.

A lot of guys were using them this weekend and they looked really comfortable. Never thought about them as a lifting shoe, but theyr not thay expensive and I’m not keen on my deadlifting shoes, theyr a little sloppy on my feet.

I’m going into town at the weekend for a hunt around the sports shops, if I don’t find any I’m going to just order some online

1 Like

I think I didn’t change size. Can’t remember though, it’s been a while since I bought them.

1 Like

31-5-17
Deadlift

Foam roll legs and back, leg swings

SSB Squat 4x8 @ bar

Sumo Deadlift 60kg x5, 100kg x5, 140kg x3, 180kg x1, 200kg x1, 220kg x1, 230kg x fail

Backoff sets 130kg x1, 150kg 5x3

Just having a steady week this week, worked Sumos up to a 1RM so I know what weight I’m working from for this training cycle, decided that was enough work by time Id finished Pulling. 220kg x1 felt pretty easy, 230kg broke the floor a couple inches then stopped. My form will be far from great at this point as this is my first real Sumo session.

Took a few videos of the back down sets, nothing amazing. 130kg was too light and I almost fell backwards after 1 rep, thats why I increased the weight to 150kg.

Personally I think I need to sit back a little more. i’m not sure I could get my feet any wider without my knees being over the bar (they already are slightly)

All criticisms welcome! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You could sit back a little more, mostly to get your shoulders further back. It’s looking decent to be going on with though as far as I can tell. I’ve always found the key with sumo is focusing on pushing your knees out to patiently lever the bar off the ground and only accelerate hard when you’re past the knees.

1 Like

Thanks man, i’ll give it a go next time I pull… probably do some more light pulling on friday, try get the form dialed in a little more!

It felt pretty good today, at last!! Seems I’ve found a way I can pull and it feel right / good, never got that with conventional

2 Likes