My road to 1500

Cheers bud, i’ll keep that in mind

Don’t worry too much before squats, just focus on warming up and getting on the board. After, though, at least eat a bit to keep energy up. Hydrate like crazy throughout though.

1 Like

I will do, cheers :slight_smile: i’ll be taking lots of fluids with BCAAs and creatine in, and just foods high in carbs i think, stuff to keep energy up

1 Like

Pro tip: go to the drug store and pick up some anti-diarrhea pills (Immodium, etc) for your supplies at the meet. Good to have in case of too much adrenaline or just a general upset stomach. I take it pre-emptively to make sure I don’t fuck up my rehydration after a water cut.

1 Like

12-11-16
Meet day

I’ve had an absolutely amazing day today, brilliant experience and can’t wait to do it again!

I came away 11th overall out of around 30 lifters with a Wilks of 380.

I weighed in this morning at 91kg which ia the lightest I’ve been for a long time!

I warmed up for squat, and my hip was still playing up a bit from the other day when I pulled it at work, after a lot of foam rolling I got it to loosen up but it was still a little painful. I opened 210kg on squats and buried it, I then took 230kg for a second which is a PB, and nailed it witha bit of pain. I went to 240kg for a third attempt, sunk it way too low and missed the lift.

Bench felt good today after warming up, took my opener of 120kg and it flew up, went to 135kg for a second which wasn’t as quick as I’d have liked but still felt easy, took a third of 142.5kg for a PB but missed. The weight just felt really heavy on the way down, and bounced on my chest leaving me with a long pause, just couldn’t press it.

Deadlifts were good but by this point my hip was quite sore, opened at 220kg, took a second at 235kg to guarentee my 600kg total, then went to 245kg for a third which stalled at my knees!

Overall I’m happy with my first meet, was a great experience and I’ve learnt quite a bit! Next time I’ll be aiming 9/9 and taking my attempts a bit smarter! I’ll hash the videos together later and throw them up in another post, for now we’re all going out for some food! 2 of the lifters at my gym took 1st and 3rd place so its celebration time! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Squat: 210 / 230 / 240 (missed)
Bench: 120 / 135 / 142.5 (missed)
Deadlift: 220 / 235 / 245 (missed)

3 Likes

Awesome job @andypee, and a total to be proud of especially in your first meet

1 Like

Thanks a lot :slight_smile: it could have been more though if I hadn’t over reached so much for my thirds, but its a lesson learned!

No regrets though, I’m extremely happy with how I did!

All that means is you left it all out there on the platform. Whats worse, giving 100% and missing a lift or leaving knowing you had more in the tank?

1 Like

Yea I see your point, I’ll just get what I left plus more next time! I’ve got a taste for it now and I’m hungry for more

Congrats dude. You had a way better meet than me

1 Like

Thanks man! Just read your write up, shame man! You’ll kill it next meet though, I’m sure!

Yea when you see the lifts they all went up just not perfect. 700 is definitely possible this spring.

1 Like

Good man! I’ll be following on for the ride, the 600 club is my next target!

1 Like

Great work mate! That’s a very respectable total. Next meet you’ll go beyond your seconds for sure. Your openers were all great, you picked them well.

1 Like

Cheers man, thanks for all the advice along the way!

I think I just let my ego take over picking my thirds

1 Like

Maybe partly, but picking thirds is something that you learn. Firsts and seconds are quite easy, thirds less so because more factors come into play.

1 Like

15-11-16
Upper

Band pullaparts between warmups

Bench
Warmups: 5x bar / 50 / 70 / 80, 3x100kg
Work: 5x5 @ 105kg

Db Inc Bench 3x8 @ 40kg
Db Rows 3x10 @ 50kg
Seated DB OHP 3x10 @ 30kg
Pulldowns 3x10 @ 12 plates
Machine Flys 3x12 @ 67.5kg
Hammer Curls 3x10 @ 20kg

Back to it today, I’m doing the first week of my new program, without the squat day. All main lifts will be 2.5kg to 5kg lighter with no + sets just to break me back into the swing of things.

I thought I was recoverred apart from a pulled hip flexor, but after doing todays session I realise I’m still a little tired from the weekend, I didn’t expext it to take as much as it has out of me!

Back into things full swing from next week.

1 Like

Meets take a fair bit out of you, especially when you’re posting respectable totals.

2 Likes

17-11-16
Upper

Band pullaparts between warmups

Bench
Warmup: 5x bar / 50 / 70 / 80 / 95kg
Work: 5x5 @ 110kg, singles @ 110+ chains, 120+ chains (30kg of chains)

Seated OHP 3x8 @ 70kg, 1x8 @ 75kg
Inc DB Flys 3x10 @ 20kg

Hip abduction / adduction machine 3x15 @ 30kg both ways

Hip is feeling a lot better today, still not 100% but its on the mend. Been stretching / rolling it frequently which seems to be helping!

I’ve widened my grip slightly on the bench, I hadmy first go at it on Tuesday and it felt good, got on the bench today and I felt really strong, once I’d finished my reps I put the chains on just for a play around, ended up with a competition single with 120kg + chains, happy days! Bit more work and hopefully I’ll start seeing more progress with this. I’ve gone from pinkies just inside the rings, to ring finger on the rings and touching slightly lower on my chest.

Deadlifts tomorrow, going back to a stiff bar as the deadlift bar at the gym is owned by 1 of the guys who trains there, and random people have been misusing it, so he keeps it in his car now, I’ll probably use it when we deadlift together, but for the other times it’ll be a stiff bar :slight_smile:

1 Like