T Nation

My Recovery Seems Really Slow

I'm doing Waterbury's HIAH get ready program. I did split squats a last Monday and my legs were sore until the following Monday. Let me give you some background about me and then ask for suggestions.

I've known about T-Nation for years now. I've read a lot and trained little. I've only sustained a training program for a maximum of two months. I wrestled from 1st grade through high school. I've helped out a high school team for the last four years (getting lots of live wrestling in during the season). So I'm in shape to a degree. But I've never had a consistent weight regimen. And I've always thought my recovery sucks.

My recovery seems the worst for my lower body. I will train well below failure and be sore for days or sometimes over a week.

So two questions: Is this abnormally slow recovery? And what can I do to make it better?

This week I'm gonnna eat more food and see what that does.

I've also considered that maybe after a couple months of training I will recover better. Does that happen for newbies?

How long have you been squatting (or split squatting)? The first time you do some exercises, the soreness is WAY worse and WAY longer. Also, if these are bulgarian split squats, then bear in mind that they were invented by the devil.

Eat. Sleep. Learn to foam roll. And consider working through the soreness?

I actually foam roll a lot because I am a giant wussy. And the DOMS is pretty light now.

If it’s something you haven’t done in a while then yeah, you’ll be sore for a while. If it continues past the first couple of times you do it then maybe eat more.

[quote]mikeavida wrote:
what can I do to make it better?

This week I’m gonnna eat more food and see what that does. [/quote]

That was going to be my first suggestion. Do some sort of lower body activity, as well. Just get blood moving through your legs, nothing major.

Yes

One more thing to consider: Most of the people I see that quit going to the gym after just a few weeks tried to jump into a program with both feet. Start off slow and work your way up. The key is to challenge yourself, not kill yourself.

You need to not concern yourself with soreness as supposedly being an indicator that a muscle is not ready to be trained again. It does not mean that.

Additionally, frequent training more typically results in less soreness, at least one adapted to it, than less frequent.

And yes, as you get back into it you will have much less problems.

As JayPierce mentioned, also when basically not having been weight training at all, or to a degree far below anything serious and consistent, one shouldn’t assume being able to jump into a program that is designed for people who have been training. Maybe cut it in half for the first few weeks and build up from there.

Your poor recovery could be due to many different reasons.

Are you consuming AT LEAST 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day?

Is your postworkout nutrition adequate?

Are you consuming between 500-1000 calories above maintenance level per day?

Are the number of sets/reps you do within your capacity to recover? Maybe you have low work capacity and you need to lower the volume (ectos need low volume for example).

Are you getting between 7-9 hours of QUALITY SLEEP each night?

Life stressors could be causing the stress hormone cortisol to work overtime, putting a serious damper on your recovery.

The list goes on…

Thanks everybody!

Things I’m going to change this week:

-Include warm up sets and stretching after. I had shoulder pain the last week and think warming up should help with the pain. And hopefully stretching helps with DOMS.

-Eat more food.

-Reduce work level for now.

I’m happy to hear from you guys that this should be a temporary thing. And knowing that I shouldn’t just be able to jump into training all out, makes me more comfortable temporarily lowering the work level.

Also try ZMA.

It helps to speed up recovery and improve the quality of sleep.

And check out CT’s article ‘7 Secrets to Rapid Recovery’: