T Nation

My Quest For Strength

Bar should stay over mid foot. Don’t rock back. You’ve got too much weight for the move. Work the movement light learn the form and increase after a couple of weeks.

Will do man, thank you for the tips. First time doing anything besides band good mornings (did 170 in bands for multiple sets of 20).

Go onto Dave Tate’s site or YouTube and search box squat. Great tutorial info on there

On it! The box kept sliding back as I did my set, and I set the safeties a pin too high (that’s the clacking noise). Not used to wide-stance squats at all.

Update: gained 2 pounds back! Good to see that the diet has been working. 15 pounds to go.

Hit a workout today. Wasn’t good, wasn’t bad. Tough fucking day today.

Axle Clean + Press

45 x 2 x 5
75 x 3
95 x 2
115 x 1
135 x 1 (belt, push)
145 x 4 — technique limited me here. Had more in the tank, just didn’t dip enough on the final reps. The axle is much different and a bit harder, but it almost feels more correct than pressing with a barbell.
145 x 2 — knocked it out for a double here a minute or so after I hit the set of 4. First went up like nothing, second was a grinder. Triceps are weak.

Floor Press (from 4-Board Height)

• Note on this: gym was closed. I had scheduled 4-board presses. Also…I did my triceps assistance work before this BECAUSE I thought I only had x amount of time to work in the gym.

45 x 2 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 3
135 x 1
145 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 3 — called it here. Good enough.

Standing Axle Overhead Triceps Extension

45 lb. x 4 sets x 20 reps

Chin-ups — 4 x 10
Ab Wheel — 1 x 10
Dimel DL (axle) — 145 x 1 x 10

I have deadlifts scheduled for tomorrow. Still feeling sick, and I really wanted at least 5 for the axle push press, but hey…I’m building. @T3hPwnisher any tips?

Continental Cleans?

You know it.

For tips, if your plan/goal is to compete, don’t get used to resting the axle on the belt like that during the continental. That’s pretty much not allowed in every comp. You’ll wanna pull the axle a little higher and lean back to create a shelf to catch it on, since you don’t much of a gut to rest on.

Your press looks more like a jerk, which is awesome if you’re looking to maximize weight overhead. It’s a skill I still don’t really have.

Yeah, my Push Press is basically a Push Jerk! That’s actually pretty funny because I am not a good thrower. I’m a pretty decent fighter and an okay sprinter, but I cannot throw for my life. It’s a pretty good skill to have because it comes naturally to me.

And I do plan to compete (when I am out of high school), so I won’t get used to that. To be honest, I could have probably power cleaned it. Also, did I mention my best ever power clean was 175? Sucks, haha.

I get that. It’s hard to get in the habit of continentaling when you can clean it, but it’s a good practice to do so. Good on you for taking it up.

Nice grind on the presses!

@T3hPwnisher thanks. The continental actually trapped my belly skin between my belt and the axle, haha.

@duketheslaya thanks! I’m still weak as piss, but that’s why I’m working.

Alright. Week 1 finished up. A lot more work than I’m used to knocking out in a session, but I’m getting it done. Also, I forgot how much better the barbell at my gym is than the barbell at my house. Needless to say, if I have to do any heavy pulling, I will be using that bar. Exercises are hammering the posterior chain/triceps/abs right now.

Comp DL

135 x 2 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3 x 5

Good Morning (explicit instructions here were “Break PRs”)

45 x 2 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 3
225 x 5
225 x 5
235 x 3 — misread here, was supposed to be set of 5, went back and did:
225 x 2

Dimel DL (These suck, but I can feel what’s being worked).

185 x 12
205 x 12
225 x 12 (belt)
245 x 2 x 12 (belt, straps)

Ab Wheel — 5 x 15
Chin-ups — 1 x 10
Close-Grip Push-up — 1 x 10

Video of some stuff:

Receiving coaching from someone?

Yup. Clint Darden. All-around great guy. He also has a lot of bodily issues, so he understands where I’m coming from when I’m about to throw up before a workout; or when I’m piss weak after undergoing constant diarrhea (sometimes in the realm of 6-7 times/day). But honestly, I think training is the only thing keeping me going at this point. I’m not even sure how I’m going to pass my midterms because I can’t think.

Case in point: I’ve been up since 3:45 this morning with a stomachache, cramping, and nausea. Went to bed at around midnight. I’ll be surprised if my workout tomorrow or the next day is not ruined.

Sounds like you’ve made a solid choice man. As always, hope the issues clear up for you when you need them to most.

Yup. Thanks. My decision-making abilities haven’t become too compromised yet, haha.

Considering either investing in therapy or the strongest weed I can buy. Not sure which is more worthwhile. Only half joking.

I honestly think you’d benefit from reading jon andersens “Deep water: overcoming the waves of life.” After reading it i feel like i learnt alot. Probably the best book I’ve read in along time