T Nation

My Quest For Strength

lol sounds fun

The set took 9 minutes.

Today was more conditioning than anything. In and out of the gym in 25 minutes.

Squat

45 x 2 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 2
200 x 5
230 x 5
260 x 5
285 x 3 — maybe I could have had 2 more, but I don’t want to fail squats. This rep had me stock still before it finally went up.
200 x 21, rest 30-45 sec., +6

1 mile run to catch my bus while wearing at least 25 pounds on my back — 13 minutes

50 Chin-ups
2:00, 1:40 Plank

Didn’t look at my phone once during the workout. No music, no nose tork, not even adequate rest between sets, so I’m really not that mad. I figured out a way to get in conditioning! I just have to do weighted sprints each morning and afternoon. Running to the bus and back!

:joy::joy::joy:

STOP TRYING TO CATCH UP ON MY 20REP SET.
Really good set man, stronk like bull.

Thanks man. It honestly wasn’t that heavy, I just ran out of breath :joy:. I’ve done 280 x 10, so 200 x 20 isn’t THAT bad.

I figured out how to do Farmer’s Walks in the Gym at school — I just have to load the trap bar onto boxes and stop being a pussy!
Does anyone know where I can get cheap plates? I’m planning on making my own implements over break. Just going to utilize some 2 inch thick pipes and make my own adjustable high handles (for both car deads and farmer’s walks. I may also utilize the axle for continental clean + overhead pressing. It should make for me to be able to do event training at home, which would DEFINITELY be a boon. It’s either that or I could convince my gym to let me store the implements there. Not sure yet.

This is my plan. I could also grab another ‘axle’ (2 in. Pipe cut to 7 ft w/ vise collars or clamps as ‘sleeves’) to use for some straight bar pressing. Boom - I just cut 3 days out of my gym time. I’m probably gonna switch exclusively to Axle Deadlifting if I make this transition. I also don’t need to Bench…I’m gonna focus on upping my dismal Overhead Press. It’s been at 140 for almost a year! Fuck.

Shit, I may be on to something.

Good stuff man

Thanks. Hopefully I can pull it off. Making it isn’t hard, finding the time to do so/getting plates is.

Holy shit, I hit a Press PR. No music. No psyching up. Hit 2 minutes after a fairly heavy set of 5. I did not expect this, but it was there, so I took it. I also had a sort of energy for my workout that has been severely lacking lately — almost a sort of focus that I haven’t had in a while. In and out in a little less than an hour. Shoulder was also fucked up today, so this was a welcome surprise.

Press

45 x 2 x 5
65 x 3
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 5
120 x 5 —PR!
130 x 1

Push Press: 135 x 10 — PR!

AMRAP @ FSL: 80 x 21 (Strict/Push)

Assistance — (Supersetted between Warm-ups in a Circuit of 5 Chin-ups, 10 Ab Wheels, 25 Band PA)

50 Ab Wheels
55 Chin-ups
100 Band PAs
1 x 55 Curls @ 70 lb.

All up in 32 minutes – Prowler Work

Warm-up (not counted in time)

4 x (6 tire flips, 250 x 8 x 10 yd. - used the TRX bands to drag it back)

Work

340 x 2 x 10 yd.
390 x 2 x 10 yd.
430 x 2 x 10 yd.
520 x 2 x 10 yd.
570 x 2 x 10 yd.
520 x 2 x 10 yd.
430 x 2 x 10 yd.
390 x 2 x 10 yd.
340 x 2 x 10 yd.
250 x 2 x 10 yd.
160 x 2 x 10 yd.

• I got the privilege of almost vomiting and laying on the floor, soaked, throughout my heavier sets.

Didn’t look at my phone once the whole workout — didn’t sit down either. Keeping busy and moving quicker was a nice change of pace.

Craigslist will be your best friend for cheap weights, especially if you don’t mind them not being matching pairs.

Titan axles are about the same cost as 2" OD pipe from Home Depot or Lowes cut to size FWIW. You may find cheaper material at mom/pop shops though.

Yeah, my dad works at a powerplant, so I think I’m going to ask him to cut the pipe to size. Thanks for the advice though! If things don’t pan out, I’ll check that out.

Your parents are ok with you training now?

Yeah, they don’t care anymore.

Sweet

Holy shit. I got the pleasure of waking up sick. Also, somehow I lost another 5 pounds. Woke up at 172. Did I emphasize how much my circumstances piss me off?

SOME THOUGHTS

• I need to get smarter about eating. Thinking about doing a 4-meal per day thing. Breakfast is mixed nuts, lunch is quinoa + avocado + more nuts + hummus, snack is raw vegetables, dinner is bone broth + potatoes. The only problem with this is being able to buy all the food I need to make in order to do this.

• I’m probably just going to go with buying a Titan Axle Bar. At $50, can I really go wrong? I have straps already. Only problem is — finding plates on Craigslist!

• Then, all I’d have to do is build those handles and take some 2 in. pipe cut down to size for my own, much cheaper farmer’s handles.

• High school sucks. How many commitments can I make before I suffocate?

Holy shit, Titan has cheap stuff. They’re selling Olympic barbells for $100. My girl also has a relative named Mariusz. No relation to the WSM.

Titan is hit and miss as far as quality goes. Same with shipping and customer service. Can’t beat the price though.

Thanks for the info. Do you own a Titan Axle/Farmer’s Handles? If so, how good do you find them?