T Nation

My Quest For Strength

I treat those as conditioning workouts. I’ll lift 4 days a week and then have a conditioning day that includes those typically, and if it’s a competition where I need more time on events, I’ll do a 3 day full body program so I can spend 2 days working those events.

I’d go with the prowler, rather than static holds. You can do a LOT of damage with a prowler. See if you can rig up a rope to pull it arm-over-arm sometimes. Other times, drag it backwards. Other times, push it. Go low handles sometimes, high handles other times. It’s a great product.

I don’t see anything particularly valuable about training without a belt. For front carries and stones I won’t use one, as it gets in the way, but for yoke and farmers and every other event I can, I’ll throw it in.

That’s all very helpful and good to know. I’m assuming you don’t really push assistance during the training week, then?

I’ll train hard up until the month of the show and then start scaling back on stuff. Assistance is usually 50-100+ reps for pushing and pulling, and 25-50 on the single leg/core stuff.

Once a competition rolls around and I’m 8 weeks out, I start going heavier on the main work and scale back a little on the extra stuff, but in the off season it’s just pushing until I can’t.

Awesome to know. I’m gonna write up a template to account for everything I’m gonna be doing in the coming cycles…I’m also going to be throwing shot-put training to the wind. Do I care? No.

Since my recovery is garbage, assistance may be limited. Thoughts? I tried to create a blend of strength-based conditioning + strength-endurance work. The heavy singles have to wait until I can adapt to this.

I’ll link this video again:

I’d do a LOT more back work. Consider doing a set of chins, rows or pull aparts in between all of your main work every training day.

For the sandbag and prowler, don’t go heavy all the time. Have some days where the focus is on footspeed.

On it. Thank you.

Fixed that @T3hPwnisher. Would you recommend any other specific exercises/set-rep schemes?

The way I’d structure press would be to hit an AMRAP set on the top weight, then hit the push press set, then do a FSL PR set.

On it. Thank you for your help.

Did some Ab Work today. I’m obviously accumulating fatigue. I have been accumulating fatigue for 4, going on 5 months now. This is a good thing.

Weighted Sit-Ups

25 lb. x 10
45 lb. x 3 x 12
45 lb. x 15 — burnout set, things may have gotten hairy towards the end.

Did some throws. Bombed. Almost passed out.

Squat day Friday. Looking forward to smashing another cap.

Deload Day 2. 305 felt okay, it was a bit slow if anything. Did static holds for the first time ever today. I set the rack pins too high and almost didn’t get 455 back on the pins. Tested out the Knee Sleeves today. They were fine, but got a bit itchy after about 20 minutes. I think I’m getting weaker, but it’s a non-issue because I can’t control it.

Squat

45 x 2 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
250 x 1 — belt, knee sleeves on.
275 x 1
305 x 1 (felt myself falling forward there. I went too deep.)

Static Holds

365 x 10 sec.
405 x 10 sec.
455 x 10 sec.

Bench

45 x 2 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 2
180 x 1 — fairly easy.

Some thoughts:

• 455 lb. is bonecrushingly heavy.
  • If I had a home gym, I would train 7 days/wk. I love physical activity simply because I can do it. Another reason I quit smoking: in August I was at a 265 x 5 Squat. Now, I’m at 280 x 10. That’s 65 pounds of progress in 4 months. I also nabbed a belt, but I still made 25 pounds of progress, even with that.
  • I suck at singles.
  • A little mental toughness goes a long way. Life fucking blows. But hey, I’m not paralyzed! And, most mornings I get up and do something I love doing.
  • There’s less than a year and a half until I’m gone, never to look back.
  • I’m worried that because I am now limited to exclusively vegan foods (and I’m only allowed to have one specific food every two hours!), that my nutrition and thus recovery will suffer. I really don’t want to lose any more weight.
  • I’m excited for strongman stuff. Squats, deadlifts, and presses are starting to get a bit boring.
  • a member of this forum (who also happens to have a 650 lb. deadlift) was attacked by multiple people who almost definitely pull less than him on the Starting Strength Forums after some guy invoked his posts for a good thrashing.

I’m shitty at reps lol and good at singles.

Maybe do top singles @7-8 a couple of times a week

There are some extraordinary athletes who are vegan. Just have to be smart about it, if you haven’t already, take a look at Patrik Baboumian and Clarence Kennedy. Both absolute vegan freaks.

Awesome stuff. Thank you for letting me know about this.

Jokers may solve this problem. Thanks for the tip.

Sounds dangerous. I like it! The breathing tips here make a lot of sense. @T3hPwnisher, he echoed what you said about keeping your original breath for the first few reps of the press.

Touch-and-go vs. Dead-stop Deadlifts

Yes, I know this debate is completely hashed out and I’m sorry. I promise this is a legitimate question. From what I’ve read, touch-and-go pulls are useful for volume accumulation and for “overtaxing” the body: namely, doing more reps than you could if you resettled slightly before each rep. This also applies to working an area harder than it would normally be worked with dead-stop pulls (for example, more time under tension for the hamstrings, glutes, and lower back during obnoxiously high-rep sets — which would theoretically strengthen the Squat and certain portions of the Deadlift).

On the other side of the coin, dead-stop reps are useful for providing an accurate representation of where your best single is at. They also serve as a good “setup” lift: namely, you get the chance to do something resembling a first rep every time you pull. On high-rep sets, this means you get to practice breaking the floor while under fatigue (something that is useful for actually breaking a top single off the floor).

With all of that being said, I know there is a case to be made for utilizing either lift in training. Jim uses them, George Leeman uses them, and Brian Alsruhe uses them. Hell, even Benedict Magnusson used them.

But what I don’t know is whether or not I should use Touch-and-Go deadlifts for my top AMRAP sets on 5/3/1. I’ve been doing them for 3 cycles. I don’t bounce my deadlifts, and form is only an issue when I rush my setup. I may simply use them for my giant FSL set afterwards. I’m puzzled: what form of the lift is, as a whole, more efficient for maximal strength AND strength-endurance?

Also…I have a problem when it comes to performing high-rep deadstop reps. My sets generally take longer than they should simply because I’m being an oaf and resting the bar on the ground for much longer than I should. For reference, in August, my best ever (albeit beltless) deadlift set was 285 x 12. The set took a minute and a half, and I rested longer than I should have in order to get the 12th rep. Here’s the video:

285 x 12 Deadlift: YouTube · Skippy Douglas1:39285 x 12 Deadlift PR!Aug 16, 2018

If it helps any, I’m interested in strongman training. My best ever Touch-and Go deadlift set is 310 x 12, at a BW of 177. However, I messed up my initial starting position on that set, so it was needlessly sloppy. So, I’ve linked here a ball-busting set at 330 x 8 that more accurately showcases how I pull. For reference, I’m 5’9”. My best ever Squat set is 280 x 10 at the same BW. I’m not a terribly strong guy, but I think I’m at the point now where I have to start thinking about how I’m going to tailor my training to ME.

330 x 8 Deadlift: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqZr5CYAm4q/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

280 x 10 Squat: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqiHSSfA-UK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link