T Nation

My Quest For Strength

Glad you are feeling better! Just out of curiosity, have you had a thyroid panel done?
Good luck on your rep PR tomorrow!

I have had a thyroid panel done. I had low thyroid when I was a kid, but that has thankfully cleared up.

OKAY. Didn’t set a rep PR, but I do have a defense:

1. I believe that the plates at that gym are heavier than they say they are. A friend of mine who knows an employee who knows the owner said that the 45 lb. Iron Grip Plates are actually 47.5 lb. Those plates feel heavier, so I think it’s worth taking a look on the scale.

2. Why the hell am I pulling 295 x 3 before I attempt an all-out set at 330? I feel like if I did the two main work sets after the PR set was done that I’d pull more rep PRs.

3. I mean, it was 5:30 in the morning. I HAVE to cut myself some slack (just kidding :grin:).

Stomach is killing me, but that is beside the point.

DL

135 x 2 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
260 x 5
295 x 3
330 x 8

I almost threw up after this set. It was also the most I’ve strained (in terms of the barbell being heavy) in a long while. I think it also more accurately reflects my max (less back rounding, no bouncing whatsoever, emphasis on strength rather than 12-rep volume sets, etc.).

Press

45 x 2 x 5
65 x 3
95 x 5
105 x 3
120 x 3

Assistance

25 chin-ups (13 x 1, 2 x 5, 1 x 2)
2 x 75 lb. x 25 reps Kroc Rows

I owe ab work.

@T3hPwnisher I know you’re a nutrition guru, haha. What’s your opinion on eating? Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to eat as much protein as I’d like to in the last month (cut meat intake down to one serving size once per day for the digestive system, and bone broth was discovered to have been contaminated!). I think the total number of calories I eat per day is okay (I’d say anywhere from 3000-3500 calories per day). My only problem is, most of these calories come exclusively from nuts, seeds, fruits, and carbohydrates (like potatoes, quinoa, and whatnot). I eat a lot of beans and chickpeas in an attempt to eat a good deal of protein, but I’m pretty sure I’m not getting enough. My question to you is not a matter of fixing the situation (I can’t until I heal up), but I’d honestly like to know how nutrition (specifically protein intake) impacted you while you were running 5/3/1. Now, on an average day, I’m probably getting around 150 g. Protein, maybe a bit more. Is not getting enough protein really that detrimental to progressing?

Oh man, I am far from the person to talk to about this. My diet is pretty much just protein and vegetables. I wouldn’t know what the impact or effect of a low protein diet would be like.

That’s a pretty awesome diet, you strong bastard. I now have to find someone who sucks at eating to answer my question.

I’m glad to know this is all I have to do to get strong! @duketheslaya @j4gga2 told you

Fuck I forgot that IG was the ultimate source of knowledge

I meant to specifically draw attention to this:

Hmm looks like my expression on a certain recent IG Post

Alright, had to get some thoughts down about training and the like.

• Firstly, my stomach hurts, but it hurts much less than yesterday, which is a good sign. Very tired.

• For the in-season, I’m going to keep my TM @ 85% and use the following flexible set-up:

Days 1 and 2 can be combined, as can Days 3 and 4.

Day 1

3/5/1* Press
Dips
Chin-ups

Day 2

3/5/1 DL
Good Mornings
Ab Work

Day 3

3/5/1 Bench
Bench @ 5 x 10 FSL
DB Rows

Day 4

3/5/1 Squat
Box Jumps
Ab Work

*: 3/5/1 simply reverses the order of the 5 and 3 weeks in the program, and calls for PR sets only on the 3 and 1 weeks.

• I’m probably just going to hit some PRs when I’m adapted to the work shotput and lifting.

@flipcollar do you have any experience with or thoughts on programming box jumps in the context of a program such as 5/3/1? Thanks.

From The Juggernaut Method: 2.0

Feeling like dogshit once again on this fine Thanksgiving morning.

Just gotta hang in there man. Sucks but it will make you stronger mentally. Have to keep pushing the Dr to figure out what’s wrong and try things yourself like the elimination diet and shit. Happy Thanksgiving though! Keep your head up. Easier said than done but try to keep positive along the negative. I know it’s not easy to get rid of the negative voice but try to get a positive voice right beside it, that way it’s not all negative.

@bcrowe2012 thanks man.

——————————————————

Hit a Bench PR, finally. Always excited to get these, especially since they’re so rare.

Bench

45 x 2 x 5
95 x 5
130 x 5
150 x 3
165 x 9 — PR!

• pretty sure I had a 10th rep in me, but I called it here.

100 push-ups
100 band-pull aparts
50 chin-ups

Fuck this.

WTF? You hit a PR yesterday! Now it’s fuck this?

150g is not “not enough” protein for your size. It’s sufficient especially when you have carbs in the diet (which are protein-sparing and let your body use protein strictly for repair, not fuel). This article talked about a meta-analysis to support that. I believe @Flipcollar also doesn’t focus a ton on hitting a high daily protein intake and has somewhere around the same as you.

Cutting back a bit on these may help your stomach issues. Excessive pectins can cause digestive trouble.

This sentence should be on a Post-It somewhere in your room.

100% understandable. But maybe approach like you’d do with a more distinct injury. If you have a labrum tear or an ACL sprain, you don’t keep doing heavy dips and squats.

You do what you can when you can, adapt what’s necessary, and put in the very boring work to figure out the exact cause of the problem to treat it effectively so you can get back to regular training down the road. It does suck and it’s dull, but it’s the smart play in the short-term in order to get back on track in the long-term.

You da man! Great coaching and advice!