T Nation

My Quest For Strength

I wouldn’t say that, but throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks probably isn’t the best idea for me at this point given my current nutrition and sleep status, haha.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I know that high-rep stuff makes me sore as a motherfucker.

@T3hPwnisher if I’m not mistaken, he’s showing off 5s PRO combined w/ 5 x 5 @FSL, right? I have Forever, but I’m not entirely sure what template that is.

Notice Jim has his kids do assistance right after a compound lift?
It’s 531 + fsl and assistance between lifts. Kinda like… Phase 1 kryptiea

Thank you very much.

Np. Knowing what I know about 531 I would encourage 5’s pro fsl over standard 531. In season you don’t need| to push for prs. You just need to keep building. Phase 1 kryptiea on repeat should be good. If you can’t chin up do db incline rows (or alternate them). Can’t dip, do push ups or db incline press like he mentioned in the video. 45 mins total strength training.

This is what I have my little bro do. He is 15 and in football.

Awesome. I’ll definitely look into this.

@ladycherryblossom pretty much got it. I don’t know if it’s a specific program from Forever, but it’s very much like kryptiea.

Regarding “strongman training”, it’s really not a thing. Strongman has so many different requirements that a lot of strongman train very differently, and unless your focus is on explosiveness, it won’t happen.

And I’m definitely a poor athlete, haha. It’s why I’m a strongman. Too uncoordinated to catch or throw anything, unless it’s over a bar.

Fair enough, you would have to find another gym with appropriate stuff. But why do you say

Unless you just don’t want to, there is no reason why you couldn’t. Even if you’re not very strong now, you are still young so you have lots of time.

I didn’t really give your original question a lot of thought last night, now that I look at it again what I would do is first of all look at how stress shotput training is going to add and which muscle groups will be affected. Is shotput training more or less fatiguing than lifting? Does it leave you sore?

Seeing as you are going to compete in shotput and not PL at the moment, it would make sense to organize your workouts so they don’t interfere with shotput. So in other words no lifting the day before shotput and depending on how it goes and how often you are doing shotput you might want to cut lifting down to 2-3x/week. Full body is fine since shotput is full body too, right?

This sounds like a good idea, I would do joker sets unless you feel like crap or have a meet that week. So work up to a top set of 5, and then you can do the AMRAP set but make sure your max is high enough that you aren’t doing more than about 8 reps. If you can’t handle much assistance work on top of that I would just do joker set/amrap/some kind of upper body pulling movement. If you need to cut it down to 2-3x/week then start with squat or DL followed by bench or OHP and then chin ups, rows, face pulls, whatever.

I know I mentioned Juggernaut Method but if you are simultaneously training for shotput and your training there isn’t really periodized and synchronized with your lifting then this 5/3/1 option is probably better because weekly stress will be more even. JM is more of a block periodized linear progression program, it’s partly based on 5/3/1 too but volume varies a lot. It would be good for offseason training.

Power cleans might be better for you than deadlifts, or maybe do both with less volume for each (1 top set). Seems like the explosiveness would benefit you a lot.

Why do you say that? Maybe you don’t agree with my terminology, but basically what I mean is on top of lifting adding stuff like loaded carried, sled drags, farmer’s walks, and so on depending on what is available since he said he’s looking for general strength.

You can look at what Josh Bryant does these days, he’s not training to compete in anything but he’s strong and fast. Also at the seminar he did in Ottawa he was talking about how strongman training is good for athletes and anyone looking for general strength. He said that the problem with Olympic lifts is that there is a major learning curve and it takes a while to get good enough at them that they carry over to anything else, stuff like keg throws, power stairs, and sled drags can build explosiveness just as well without technique being a limiting factor.

I will get back to everyone shortly! I am coming up with an example template right now, and I have to get some classwork done.

I would just call that loaded carries or conditioning. Strongman training would include the things needed to get better at strongman, which at a basic level would include those carries along with overhead work for maximal weight and reps, deads of the same variety along with different pulling heights, stones, etc.

I’ve trained/competed in strongman for about 5 years now, and haven’t developed much in terms of explosiveness. It hasn’t been my focus. I’ve been able to make strongman work for me while relying more on brute strength. You don’t need to do Olympic lifts to be explosive, but you do need to train to be explosive, which isn’t necessarily a part of strongman training unless it’s something YOU specifically choose to focus on as a strongman.

It could just be that you naturally aren’t very explosive, explosiveness can be improved but not to the same degree as strength. The top sprinter would still be able to run fast even if they never trained for it. I’m naturally much more explosive in my upper body than lower body, I suck at sprinting and jumping and there isn’t much I can do about it.

Anyway, here’s what Josh says in one of his books:
For explosive strength/ power, try these strongman events: •Tire flip •Keg roll •Keg throw •Stones •Power stairs
•Strongman training can effectively enhance grip strength, power, speed, static strength, and dynamic strength/ flexibility, along with strength endurance and adding slabs of muscle. For general strength, here are 10 beneficial strongman events: •Farmer’s walk •Tire flips •Stones or any loading event •Keg rolls •Log press or Viking press •Crucifix •Deadlift holds •Truck pulls •Yoke •Dragging event

Bryant, Josh. Built To The Hilt: The Strength and Power Edition (Kindle Locations 1430-1437). The Creative Syndicate. Kindle Edition.

The only reason why I don’t do any of this stuff is because I don’t have the time to do it, there is only one gym in the Ottawa area that has stuff for strongman training and I wouldn’t be able to make it there on a regular basis if I still want to work and take care of my kids. Otherwise adding some of this stuff to offseason PL training would be a good way to get stronger overall and improve conditioning.

It’s very much a part of it, and, in turn, why my strongman training didn’t focus much on it. I played to my strengths, which is why I’m saying that a suggestion of strongman training for explosiveness tends to not play out well compared to a training program specifically focused on building explosiveness.

What you are listing are events featured in strongman competitions. They’re solid events, and with the right programming can build explosiveness. But to say it’s strongman training would be akin to me calling any manner of benching, squatting and deadlifting “powerlifting training”, to include the parts I do in my strongman training.

True, but if you want to get into semantics then the stuff I listed is rarely used by non-strongmen and anyone who isn’t just fucking around in the weight room is still doing some sort of squat, bench, and deadlift as part of their training.

Either way, blame Josh Bryant. That’s what he told me.

Josh told it to you specifically, or it was in his book you read?

The stuff you listed is actually gaining quite a bit of popularity among crossfitters and tactical fitness types. Strongman is honestly an incredibly nebulous sport. There is technically no lift that isn’t strongman, and it’s all just up to the promoter to decide what is going to happen. It’s why competitions have super ridiculous events, like Mas-wrestling, murder ball, brick races, front holds, etc. Josh Thigpen’s “Cube Method for Strongman” does a great job of setting up a training program to try to capture the needs of a strongman, but even then, it really just depends on what the competition holds on that day.

He spoke about it at the seminar that I attended and it’s in his book, he didn’t directly address me in regards to it and I didn’t ask about it either.

Anyway, I’m not talking about training as though you were going to enter a strongman comp, just using some typical strongman events to as GPP for shotput. I think you get that, but I also think you like to argue sometimes. Next time I will throw in something about Trump or LGBT to get you going.

In fairness, you responded to my post and asked me a question. I’ve just been explaining, which is typically what I am doing when people think I’m arguing. I make it a policy not to argue on the internet, because I’ve found it unbeneficial.

I enjoy this, because it appears to me you think I am left leaning.