My Quest for 1400

freakin awesome lifts man. keep it up

[quote]jsheptock wrote:
freakin awesome lifts man. keep it up[/quote]

woo hoo!

A new fan…thanks bud. I appreciate the visit.

I know, I know I’ve been slacking a little bit on posting but hey, when I sit here and talk to myself all week long, it makes it hard to want to post everyday.

5/21

Speed Squat
2x10 - bar
1x5 - 95
1x5 - 135
1x5 - bar + 1 chain
1x3 - bar + 2 chain
1x3 - bar + 3 chain
1x2 - bar + 4 chain
1x2 - 95 + 4 chain
8x2 - 135 + 4 chain

Speed Pulls
1x5 - 135
1x5 - 135 + 4 chains
6x2 - 185 + 4 chains

A1) Good AM - 2x25 - avg band
A2) KB Suitcase Deadlift - 2x8 – 32 kg
A3) Standing Calf - 2x12 – 200

This was the last “deload” leg day and everything feels super good right now. My squats felt dialed in and my pulls feel lightening fast. The deload week has worked wonders on my body and my brain. I just feel refreshed and ready to lift heavy shit again.

I’m starting to like the Sunday morning lifting sessions. I have never lifted on Sunday’s before because they have usually been a total recovery day, but with this new schedule, my body just feels better and I am starting to to see some good results by having a nice little break between my days.

In case you are wondering, my lifting schedule is as follows:

Sunday - bench
Monday - legs
Wednesday - bench
Friday - legs

Here is today’s session:

Bench
2x8 - bar
1x5 - 95
1x5 - 135
1x3 - 185
1x3 - 225

Reverse Band Press
1x5 - 225 + avg band
1x3 - 275 + "
1x1 - 315 + "
1x1 - 345 + "
1x1 - 365 + "
2xAMRAP - 185 + "

A1) DB Row w/ Fat Gripz - 3x15 – 45
A2) Rev. Peck Deck - 3x12 – 90
A3) DB Shrug w/ fat gripz - 3x15 – 45
A4) Tri Ext. - 3x50 – mini band

B1) Band Knee’s to chest - 3x12
B2) BB Rollouts - 3x10

Good session here and Spike to start always makes thing better. There was good energy in the gym today and my pushes all felt really good. On my last set of bench, I hit a sticking spot about half way up but keep pushing and was able to lock out. The good thing was that my form didn’t break down underneath the stick and I stayed tight the whole way through. It was quite surprising to me actually because when I hit that sticking spot, my elbows usually flare out. So the fact that they stayed tight was awesome.

By the way, if you haven’t trained with Fat Gripz before, get them. I was very humbled when I tried to do a set of shrugs with 75 pound dumbbells and the fat gripz and I only got 5. I think they will definitely help with my grip strength.

Today started out great and is ending okay. I should seen the omen when I walked into the gym when some other trainer is training three women listening to lame 80’s music. Don’t get me wrong, I like 80’s music but this shit was terrible.

As I’m warming up, I go to walk around a bench to head into the bathroom, plant me left foot and go to turn and feel a pretty good size pull come from my interior hip flexor/ groin area. It actually hurt quite bad and I tried more mobility stuff on it but that didn’t really help much. I told me coach, got him concerned and proceeded to have a monster day pulling. Just goes to show that no matter what happens to you, when it comes time to lift, that’s the only thing that matters.

9 lifts…9 white lights.

Deadlifts
2x5 - 135
1x5 - 185
1x5 - 225
1x3 - 275
1x3 - 315
1x1 - 135 + monster mini band
1x1 - 185 + " " "
1x1 - 215 + " " "
3x1 - 225 + " " "
1x1 - 275 + " " "
1x1 - 295 + " " " (coached figured this was around the mid 500’s)

A1) Plate loaded Leg Curl - 3x10 - 25 lbs
A2) DB Row - 5x8 – 100
A3) Standing Calve - 3xAMRAP

B1) DB Shrugs - 2x8 – 90 lbs
B2) Dragon Flags - 2x8

My speed on my pulls felt so fast and the weight didn’t feel heavy. At all. Ever. The fact that with band tension I was pulling the way I did, without gear, just makes me think that dead’s are going to be my best lift of the meet. My coach is going out of town this weekend, so I am going to take some time off to recover a little more and then next week we are setting PR’s.

The plan is to go bar weight all next week, so I am already thinking about pulling close to 500 next week. I am actually quite focused on pulling 495. I don’t know why but that number is stuck in the front of my mind. For some reason, mentally, if I pull 495 with this much time before the meet, I am going to have to re-evaluate my pulling numbers. I am stoked to go for a PR in bench next week too. Even though my squats feel good, a PR will be on the horizon for that lift as well.

Video to surely follow…

speed squat day last week.

some random speed bench work

Not going to lie but my session today was pretty depressing. At one point during my last set of speed bench, I stopped because my form was shit, I slammed the weight into the towers and walked out of the gym; I just had to go collect myself. The strange thing is, my speed felt good and I told that to my coach, but the thing I love about my coach is he brings me right back down to earth.

He was like, it’s not really that fast, the bar is moving around a lot and its just not there.

Talk about even more depressing.

I pressed on though and we went heavy on floor presses and other auxillary movements. Since he is going out of town this until Tuesday, I am taking some time to focus on fixing my hip issues, get some good conditioning in and get focused for my PR week next week.

Speed Bench
3x5 - bar
1x5 - 95
2x5 - 135
1x5 - 155
1x3 - bar + monster mini
1x3 - 95 + monster mini
8x3 - 135 + " "

Pin Presses
1x5 - 225
1x5 - 275
1x3 - 315
1x3 - 335
4x3 - 375
1x1 - 425

A. DB Press - 1x30 – 45

B1. Elbows Out - 3x8-10 – 30,35,50
B2. KP Military Press - 3x10 – 24 kg

C1. DB Row - 3x15 – 75
C2. Reverse Peck Deck 3x10 – 150
C3. DB Hammer Curl - 3x8 – 55

I know what I’m doing is wrong, but I am looking forward to next week so bad. We talked about it today and Wednesday is going to be PR day on dead’s. I am going to pull 496. Yes, I will fucking pull 496 and that was what we were hoping to do in the meet.

Friday I am going to PR on the bench. I’m thinking around 325 or so. Sunday I will PR on the squat. We talked about somewhere in the mid 500’s.

Time for some Chris time…

good to see you back.
nice work

So with my coach out of town, I am taking the long weekend to enjoy life. I have been lifting consistantly for, oh I don’t know, 8 months without taking a break. So with him out of town, I am chilling this weekend. It started yesterday with a nice foam rolling session, 200 jumps with the jump rope, two trips around the block pulling a sled with 2-45 pound plates and then an amazing yoga session with my girl.

There is nothing sexier than watching the girl you love doing some amazing poses. Talk about a huge turn on…and yes I’ve been horny ever since.

Anyways, today I have clients until 130, then I’m teaching surf lessons the rest of the day before I finish up with my last client. Then tomorrow I will be chilling, sunday I will be chilling and Monday…well, you guessed it. I will be chilling. Come Wednesday, I plan on being totally rested and ready to set some PR’s.

Hope all my 1 readers have a great long weekend. I might post between now and Wednesday but if not, make sure you check back next week because I will be posting video of my setting a PR on deadlifts.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
good to see you back.
nice work[/quote]

It’s good to be back.

I will start with the video’s. Here is my first PR of the day at 465.

lets try this again

Sorry for the double video post.

Here is PR #2 @ 485

To say that I’m stoked right now would be a slight understatement. I hit two PR’s back to back today and it got me super fired up for my meet. I had a number in my head (495) that I wanted to hit today but my coach called me off. If you look at both video’s, right as the weight comes off the ground, I swing my arm’s out just a touch and it costs me a little bit of energy. Because of that, he didn’t want me to go any heavier. So we are going to spend the next couple weeks really working on speed and keeping the bar close to my body.

The weight did not feel heavy at all and I felt that both attempts came up very quickly. I did them both raw and that get’s me even more fired up because with a suit on and a little more work on my technique, I think I can get another 30-40 pounds on my attempts. We were originally planning for a 500 pull, but now I think we are looking more towards 530-540ish. If we can do that and I can continue to get my squat up around 540-550, that means that my bench can be mediocre and I can still total 1400. But that won’t happen because I won’t let it. I have 9 attempts and I plan on nailing all 9 of them.

So, to the best of my memory, here is my session for the day:

Dead
1x5 - 135
1x5 - 225
1x2 - 275
1x2 - 315
1x2 - 365
1x1 - 405
1x1 - 465 – PR
1x1 - 485 – PR

A1) Glute/Ham - 3x12 – BW
A2) Band Good AM - 3x15 – avg band
A3) Chins - 3x10 – BW

That pretty much drained me. Hit the hot tub when I got home and feeling pretty good now. We also took video of all the dead sets because we wanted to watch and see how the warm-ups looked and felt, so we could start thinking about how I am going to warm up for lift during the meet. I liked how we did the warm up today but we did move pretty fast to start, so I am a little worried about having so long between warm-up sets on that day. I’m thinking I should be okay since dead’s will be the last lift and I should be feeling pretty good by that time.

I found a great article by Lonnie Lowery about meet day food intake that I plan on printing out and having with me that day so I can maximize my nutrition.

Kind of stoked for Friday because I think we are going for PR’s on bench that day as well.

I was like a kid in the candy store today as my Titan gear came in: F6 bench shirt and Centurion squat suit. Since today was a bench day, we got to play with my new shirt. My arms totally hurt and are bruised pretty good, but man are they all so pretty. :slight_smile:

Today’s session was pretty fun. We got to play with some good weight and I got to really feel what it felt to have some decent weight with the shirt.

Bench
2x10 - bar
1x5 - 95
1x5 - 135
1x5 - 175
1x1 - 185
1x1 - 205
1x1 - 245
5x1 - 275 – 4 board press w/ shirt on (this was more like 1 set of 5, but I paused at the top to breathe)
5x1 - 305 – 3 board press w/ shirt on
1x1 - 330 – 2 " " "
1x1 - 350 – 1/2 foam roller w/ shirt
1x1 - 365 – " " "
1x5 - 365 – 4 board press w/ shirt

A1) DB Press - 5x12 – 55
A2) Band Tri-Ext - 5x40 – mini band
A3) Seated Row - 5x12 – 155

I’m still trying to get used to lifting with gear but today was better. I took until my second set for me to feel a little more comfortable with my shirt on as I think it finally seated. As they say in the triathlon ranks when it comes to bike training, all it takes is TITS (time in the saddle). I think the same goes true for gear, the more you are in it, the better it will start to feel.

Honestly, I’m looking forward to getting my squat suit on and doing some damage. Sunday will be the day…stoked. Can’t come fast enough.

Video up next

350…

365…

Looks like things are going well, good work! Can you link to the Lonnie Lowery article?

[quote]mrodock wrote:
Looks like things are going well, good work! Can you link to the Lonnie Lowery article?[/quote]

articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/meet-day-eats/

Here you go…