My PWO Creation

The main adjustment I would make is to point out that this website is offered to us for free by a company that makes its money selling quality supplements.

So, you’re kind of un-grateful.

[/quote]

I agree with the implied recommendation to buy Surge, but I can see how some people might not have the disposable income to buy Surge.

I think it is cheap as shit and it tastes effing great, but for some reason people would rather buy a bunch of lower quality stuff and mix themselves up a batch of their own stuff. To each his own I guess.

I would suggest to anyone just to give Surge at least a try and buy 1 tub. I almost guarentee you won’t switch back you your old mix.

Here’s what I do:

2 scoops Surge
some water

DONE!

Seriously, how much are you saving(if anything)by getting all that shit? And when it’s all said and done it’s not as good anyway!

While the the malto and isolate are relatively quick-digesting, casein and egg are SLOW-digesting proteins. Plus, fructose is not a high GI sugar and is also slower-digesting. Further, the fat they add to the mix also slows gastric emptying. You won’t get the insulin surge like you would with a better shake, but you will get decent recovery. Because your shake is medium/slow-diegesting you might want to go lighter on the carbs for your next meal after this shake so you don’t risk over-carbing.

Your shake is definitely better than whole foods, but not optimal. I guess it will do on a college-student budget though. If I were you I would consume a 1/2 of a bagel pre-workout. Speaking of pre-workout, I’m surprised to see posts still putting a huge emphasis on post-workout. After all, a pre-workout shake is at least as effective, but up to twice as effective, as a post-workout shake (with the right nutrients).

Save your bussing tips so you can afford to buy a source of 25g whey isolate (hydrolisate if possible), 50g maltodextrin, 5-10g BCAA’s, and 5-10g creatine. These four are the hands down best stack for pre/post-workout nutrition. Sip 1/2 before and half after. If you are a hard-gainer up the malto to 75g. Surge is solid, but PM me if you want alternatives.

TopSirloin

[quote]Ramone wrote:
I’m a student on a budget in the same boat (need a cheap PWO drink) however I’ve only been using dextrose in my PWO shake. Where did you buy your maltodextrin?

For Christmas I received a 10 pound tub of Muscle Juice made by Ultimate Nutrition, which contains the following per two scoops:

Calories: 495
Fat: 9g
Carbs: 75g
Protein: 22g

Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Premium Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Egg White Albumen), Maltodextrin, Crystalline Fructose, Cocoa, Medium Chain Triglycerides and Natural and Artificial Flavors.

Would this be an adequate PWO drink or am I better off with a homemade version as stated above? Or maybe a mix of the two? Thanks!
[/quote]

Dex/malto 20c per 50g serving
protein 60c per 23g serving
Creatine 2c per 5g serving
glut (did’nt pay for)
Vitamins are like 10c total
water free

So it’s like 72c a shake. Alot cheaper than $2.50 a serving.

Surge is definitely a proven PWO shake. The problem I have is that I want a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs, not a 1:2. I’m just not glucose-sensitive enough to deal with the 1:2 in Surge. Further, I prefer maltodextrin because its not sweet versus glucose which is so sweet I almost purge it back up. You are correct in that its a pain to have to buy 3-4 different products and make your own blend. On the other hand I can control the taste and ratios depending on what my training goals are.

TopSirloin

[quote]PharmD Pete wrote:
The main adjustment I would make is to point out that this website is offered to us for free by a company that makes its money selling quality supplements.

So, you’re kind of un-grateful.

I agree with the implied recommendation to buy Surge, but I can see how some people might not have the disposable income to buy Surge.

I think it is cheap as shit and it tastes effing great, but for some reason people would rather buy a bunch of lower quality stuff and mix themselves up a batch of their own stuff. To each his own I guess.

I would suggest to anyone just to give Surge at least a try and buy 1 tub. I almost guarentee you won’t switch back you your old mix.[/quote]