T Nation

My Promulgation

Welcome to my new log. I have decided to put this here to help keep myself motivated and to gain valuable advice from the people here who’ve been doing this much longer than me. So, without further ado, here’s my story. I’ve been overweight for most of my life. In January, i was probably the biggest i’ve ever been at 264 lbs. I started working out with a friend and dieting and lost a significant amount of weight.

On the day of my wedding in August I was down to A little over 220, with a significant amount more muscle mass than when I started. Since then i’ve fluctuated a little, and because of the rigors of being newly married haven’t been to the gym much or eating right. This morning I tipped the scales at 225, not much more, but I know i’m carrying more fat and less muscle.

So, here’s the point of all of this: My goal is to reach 200 lbs at 10% bf. I’m probably currently in the 20-23% range. I’m going to post my log here of my diet, and also my workouts, to help keep me accountable.

I am planning on starting the t-dawg diet, and as far as workouts i’m not quite sure yet, i’ve been doing a few different things, but since i’m trying to lose weight i’m just going to focus on heavy compounds, keep the rest short, and keep my diet ultra tight.

I will post the dreaded before pictures as soon as I can, i’m sure i’ll get flamed, but it will help motivate me, so whatever works.

Last, but not least, thanks to all on this site who offer advice and info, it’s been life changing for me thus far.

Here’s my sample meal plan, this is still in the formative phase, I will start the diet next wednesday.
W/O DAY P/C/F
SURGE 25/46/2.5

3 EGGS 18/1.5/21
1/2 CUP COTTAGE CHEESE 13/5/1.5

1 OZ. NUTS 5/6/15
STRING CHEESE 8/1/4

1 CAN TUNA 45/0/1.5

EAS SHAKE 15/3/3

SURGE

6 OZ EYE ROUND 46/0/19
1/2 CUP OATMEAL 5/27/3

2TBSP. PB 8/6/16
FISH OIL 0/0/14

388/95.5/100.5

1552/382/904.50 2840

Making a specific weight your goal is a mistake IMO. You’ll seriously compromise how much muscle you can gain by always shooting for that number on the scale.

The comment you made about heavy compounds and a tight diet is along the right track. If you do that you could even afford some more calories by a few hundred a day and still lose fat quickly at your current level.

I would seriously make the mirror your best friend and disown the scale for a while at least until your fat loss levels off and then see from there. You may think I’m nuts, but I’m tellin ya, you make a certain weight your goal and you’re going to wind up playing with your calories in a way that compromises both your fat loss and muscle gains.

I’ll make you promise right now. You eat 3000-3300 (give or take, everybody’s different) cals a day clean and smart and train hard, you’ll lose fat right down to where you look pretty good, but aren’t seriously cut. If you just keep doing the same from there you’ll wonder how you ever could’ve allowed 200lbs to be a goal. I kid you not.

Edit:
BTW, how tall are you? Somehow I got it in my head you were over 6 foot, but maybe I still had that fresh from reading another post as I don’t see your height in yours.

Thanks trib…i’m 5’10". I’m not in any rush to 200, that’s just kind of my long term goal, where i’ll end up. I’m gonna take it slow, shoot for about 2 lbs a week of loss, and monitor my bf% to make sure i’m not losing too much muscle.

The calorie level you mentioned is actually where I was originally shooting for, but i’m having a tough time getting enough fats in my diet, and i’m already overboard on the proteins. I guess I could choose fattier meats, but i’ve got eye round, tuna, and other lean proteins ingrained in my mind from past experience.

Any suggestions?

Add beef, which is slightly fattier than what you have been eating. However, do chose gras fed over corn fed. Also, red meat in general is good on the T-Dawg diet, and I think more cheese might be a worthwhile addition. Also, olive oil on salad or vegetables or just straight out of the bottle.

As for going overboard on the protein, I don’t think so. 388 grams is a lot, bit if you search around a bit, you’ll find quite a few people eating 400 grams of protein a day or even more. Don’t be concerned about getting too much of it, as long as you balance it with enough vegetables and drink lots of water.

[quote]gitrpumped wrote:
Any suggestions?[/quote]

Get on your anti “everything I thought I ever knew about nutrition” helmet and check the giant Anabolic Diet thread in supplements and nutrition.

You are in a position to be the poster boy. I’m serious.

I’m going to dive into the thread and see what I can find. I’ll let you know what I decide, thanks for the help.

Trib, i’ve been wading my way through the anabolic diet thread (wow, it’s long) and i’ve decided i’m gonna give it a try, sounds like I can eat everything I really like anyways, which is always a good thing for compliance. Thanks for your guidance, I would’ve never looked into it otherwise.

[quote]gitrpumped wrote:
Trib, i’ve been wading my way through the anabolic diet thread (wow, it’s long) and i’ve decided i’m gonna give it a try, sounds like I can eat everything I really like anyways, which is always a good thing for compliance. Thanks for your guidance, I would’ve never looked into it otherwise.[/quote]

No problem. It’s runs counter to just about everything you usually hear, but damn does it work and unless you already have health issues it’s perfectly healthy. In a lot of cases even with pre-existing health issues it helps correct them.

This is what i’ve figured to start, is it right?
225 LBS X 18 = 4,050 CALS

week
355 GRAMS PROTEIN 35 % 1340 kcals
30 GRAMS CARBS 2 % 120 kcals
279 GRAMS FAT 63 % 2511 kcals

weekend
101 GRAMS PROTEIN 10 % 404 kcals
607 GRAMS CARBS 60 % 2428 kcals
135 GRAMS FAT 30 % 1215 kcals

[quote]gitrpumped wrote:
This is what i’ve figured to start, is it right?
225 LBS X 18 = 4,050 CALS

week
355 GRAMS PROTEIN 35 % 1340 kcals
30 GRAMS CARBS 2 % 120 kcals
279 GRAMS FAT 63 % 2511 kcals

weekend
101 GRAMS PROTEIN 10 % 404 kcals
607 GRAMS CARBS 60 % 2428 kcals
135 GRAMS FAT 30 % 1215 kcals
[/quote]

You’ve got the numbers down. Don’t worry if you’re off a few percentage points off here or there. Just make sure you keep the carbs below or right at 30 and inhale the fat for the first 12 days until your first carb load.

Join in the AD thread. There’s a bunch of guys and a girl or two in there still all the time. There’s a lot of info on what to expect for the first several weeks in the last 20 or so pages. At your body composition and assuming you’re training hard you’ll start to lean up fairly quick for a while and you’ll make gains too. After a few to several weeks you can see how it’s going and maybe think about some tweaking. To start just follow the basics.

Thanks for the help trib, I started today…Did some measurements and i’m at 230.5 @~18.5% bf. This should be fun, i’m liking this diet already. I’ll try to post daily food logs here, I’m sure you’ll have some pointers throughout.

Today’s food…
breakfast
4 scrambled eggs, 3/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese

snack
2 scoops Metabolic Drive

lunch
1 can tuna w/mustard

eas lowcarb shake before/during workout

dinner
4 cups spinach, 1/4 cup feta
newman’s own olive oil and vinegar 2tbsp
1 large and 1 small ribeye
1 cup turnip greens w/bacon
1/2 cup cucumbers

snack
2 scoops Grow! whey w/2tbsp olive oil
1 bag of pork rinds

3138 kcals, 30g carbs (actually about 20 when you subtract fiber), 332 grams protein, 179 grams fat

Felt pretty good today, worked out shoulders. I’m gonna have to get a bigger start eating to get in all the calories.

GREAT NEWS!!!, I just scored a huge tractor tire for free. About 500 lbs, should be fun to flip, I can’t wait to get home, i’ll post pics…!

And here’s a video of my first ever tire flippin…I know my form probably isn’t good, but it was fun.

well, embed didn’t work…here’s the link
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8635849979625827768

[quote]gitrpumped wrote:
And here’s a video of my first ever tire flippin…I know my form probably isn’t good, but it was fun.

well, embed didn’t work…here’s the link
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8635849979625827768 [/quote]

You’re a madman. I’ve done “tire flips”, but the form looks pretty good to me.

It was great fun…the video was my last 2 of about 40, so I was feelin pretty whipped. Surprisingly not too sore today. Now i’m looking for a keg to throw!
As far as food intake I didn’t have time to enter it all yesterday, but I know I stayed well under my carbs, probably about 15 grams, and probably fell short on fat and protein again, but not by much. Getting busy at work in the morning is preventing a good start to my eating, so I guess i’m gonna have to get up earlier.

I think I might have had a mini-crash today…I felt awful for about 8 hours, but at dinnertime (when I get most of my carbs) I felt better after eating. So…i’m sure there’s more fun to come, i’m not sleeping right, and I feel kind of wierd, but all in all not too bad.

I’ll survive. Didn’t really keep my log today either, work has been crazy, but I know I didn’t go over my carb limit, so I should be okay. We’ll see how tomorrow goes.

Alright, so I finally took the before pics…i’m not excited about putting them up, but I hope it will help keep me motivated, so here goes…

and one more, for the bodybuilders…lol