T Nation

My Probably Inadequate Diet...

Sorry if this topic has been broached before… and sorry this is so long winded… I have no internal editor.

Looking for some new ideas to help me (as is often advised around here) “just fuckin’ EAT!”

Here’s a basic rundown on what I eat in a given day…

BREAKFAST:
3 scrambled eggs and some bacon (if I have time, 3 scoops of Grow! if I don’t), milk, some fruit if I think of it.

About 10AM:
Either some yogurt or an apple and a piece of cheese.

LUNCH:
Depending on how much time I have to prepare the night before, usually 2 sandwiches (turkey, tuna, or natural PB), or a can of tuna, or leftovers from the previous night’s dinner. Can of V8.

POST W/O:
Bottle of “recovery drink” (don’t want to name-drop here, as it’s not Biotest). Maybe anything else left over from lunch in the unlikely event that I didn’t devour it all.

About 3:30-4PM:
Usually a protein bar of some sort.

DINNER:
My wife, bless her, usually tries to cook something in tune with what she thinks I’m supposed to eat but, honestly, I’m probably better off on the nights that she’s at work and I fend for myself. I will usually grill about a pound of some kind of meat (chicken or turkey breast, steaks, maybe burgers) on the George Foreman, and steam myself either broccoli or spinach (I eat the whole package) and wash it all down with some milk.

Also, I drink as much water as I can during the day, usually have a bottle of Propel durin my workout (and refill it two or three times at the bubbler throughout), and take myriad pills… most recently I’ve started taking an Animal Pak abuot a half hour before workout and a Spike or two (depending on how much coffee I’ve had to that point).

I know I need to keep a food diary… I really do. But, even without, I’m unsure that I’m getting enough protein or calories. I’m 6’1", currently 215, no clue what my BF% is, but I’ve still got a little jiggle on my pot belly. The rest of me seems to be pretty lean, though. shrug

I’ve been trying to bulk so far, with some moderate success. I’d hoped to put on some nice mass and cut just a smidge for a company beach outing at the end of this month (this goal has been mentioned in previous posts of mine). A shoulder injury set me back quite a bit, and I don’t think I’m going to be happy with my results… but, screw it, I’m in this for the long run and if I’m not satisfied with my progress this year, then I only have to hate it for a day, and then I’ve got a whole 'nother year to get my ass in line.

So, long story short (too late!), looking for some new food ideas to help mix things up, and help me eat more of the right stuff! Please also critique the stuff I am eating if need be. I really just want to get my diet dialed in, but I’m a total idiot when it comes to this stuff, no matter how many articles I read. (Cue flaming).

Thanks in advance!
Bob

dewd,

get your chanko on:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461534

Buy a slow cooker and make your self some beef chanko with all your favorite ingredients in it. easy as hell and you can mass produce the shit to have lots on hand at all times.

I make two kinds, A protein plus fat kind and a post training protein plus carb kind.

then i just use these for lunch(s) and make a super omlett in the morning and grill at night. A great way to amke sure you get the same amount everyday. Or more or less if you are waving cals. Just add or subtract a chanko meal. or eat a bigger portion.

I ususally make a beef and veggie stew with tons of fiber so I take massive poopies all the time. using curry powder makes it good enough to punch someone for.

-chris

Seriously though, without figures, I’m not sure anyone can tell you to go up or down…are you trying to gain or cut?

You need to log your calories and protein and let everyone know what those numbers are to tell you to go up or down. I’m sure if you knew that info, more people would be able to help. I find it a pain in the ass enough to add up my own protein and calories every single day, as I’m sure most people do…so I’m not going to add yours up for you.

You need to think Wendys double cheeseburgers…Subway 12" Italian BMT’s…1/2 pound burgers…spaghetti with beef added…sloppy joes…tacos…

I don’t think I could eat 4500 calories a day if I wasn’t eating a good bit of junk and throwing down a good bit of milk also…

But anyway, add everything up, then report back.

[quote]deapee wrote:
Seriously though, without figures, I’m not sure anyone can tell you to go up or down…are you trying to gain or cut?

You need to log your calories and protein and let everyone know what those numbers are to tell you to go up or down. I’m sure if you knew that info, more people would be able to help. I find it a pain in the ass enough to add up my own protein and calories every single day, as I’m sure most people do…so I’m not going to add yours up for you.
[/quote]

Fair enough… I guess I omitted some details in the interest of keeping my post succinct (not one of my strong suits, obviously), but it seems I do need to do a little more legwork and give you folks some numbers.

As far as my goals, well, I have the same goal as everybody has, whether they admit it or not… to gain lean muscle and no fat! LOL. Seriously, though, I’m happy to keep bulking (since I’ll never be able to cut enough to make a difference before the end of the month), but I’m afraid that my fat/muscle gains ratio is out of whack.

Something else I just realized I neglected to mention (admit)… on weekends, I pretty much cut loose on the diet. That’s not to say that I cram myself full of shit, I’m just less strict about it (still try to follow a reasonable facsimile though) and allow myself some beers… not a case and a half like the old days… maybe a 12 pack for the entire weekend.

Here are a couple of simple things if you are just concerned about getting the numbers up.

Flax seed in the morning with brekky. Good fats and fibre.

Walnuts in your yoghurt mid morning

Cheese or mayo in your lunch time sandwich.

Have a pre work out shake as well as post. You can use the same ‘recovery mix’, just maybe a bit less.

Eat before bed. Cottage Cheese, hard boiled eggs, flax or fish oil, nat PB (not all mixed together)

These should help get the cals up.

Hey, totally off topic but great avatar Bob. I was obsessed with Pac-Man back in the day. All the different types made it great i.e the disappearing maze pac-man, the japanese versions (puc one) junior pac man (the hardest version!!). Good stuff.

[quote]Footsolider88 wrote:
Hey, totally off topic but great avatar Bob. I was obsessed with Pac-Man back in the day. All the different types made it great i.e the disappearing maze pac-man, the japanese versions (puc one) junior pac man (the hardest version!!). Good stuff.[/quote]

Thanks dude, I actually just realized today that I didn’t have an avatar, so I threw that one up there today. As it so happens, I collect arcade games… Pac Man, Space Invaders, Spy Hunter, etc. Have about 20 of them. Just hauled most of them out of my basement on Saturday so I can remodel my “arcade”. 15 or so games up the bulkhead… can you say “deadlift”? :^)

[quote]helga wrote:
Here are a couple of simple things if you are just concerned about getting the numbers up.
[/quote]

Listening…

Sounds good, I’ll pick some up tomorrow.

Again, good idea… I’ll add that.

Already doing both. :^)

Probably a good idea… not sure why, but I’ve shied away from the idea of “too many shakes”… I probably still hear my mother talking in the back of my head. LOL.

I usually do try to put something in my stomach before bed… but since it’s usually whatever I can find that isn’t too carby, I guess I forgot to mention that. I do often chow on some celery and cottage cheese.

[quote]
These should help get the cals up.[/quote]

Good advice, and I have no excuse not to do any of it! I really appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Bob

[quote]Norwell Bob wrote:
Good advice, and I have no excuse not to do any of it! I really appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Bob[/quote]

No worries. Keep in mind that these are quick simple tips to get the cals up and not probably a long term answer to your problem.

Another recommendation is to hard boil up a 12 pack of eggs and put them in the fridge so you can grab one whenever you want.

Spend some time reading through the diet and nutrition info on the site and you should be able to start to find what works for you.

P.S. If you have never bout flax seeds before, make sure that you either buy pre-ground ones, or buy something to grind them with. If you eat them whole you will shit them out whole without absorbing any of the flaxy goodness.