T Nation

My Post-Workout Nutrition Sucks?

I think I’m doing something wrong post workout. I’m a big believer In listeing to your body and something does not feel right at all during this period for me. I think I am going catabolic or something using up/breaking down built muscle to fuel the repair of the damage done in the workout that was just completed. I feel really weak and have low energy and my trosers pants fit differently like my quads have shrunk LOL?.

My current plan Is 500ml fruit juice, dump in 3 scoops of maltodextrin, 15g bccas, then follow up with a meal an hour later Protein/fats (I’m trying to stay low carb for the most part.) I’m thinking maybe I need more whey protein immediately after? Is whey even good here, some say its too slow you need hydrolysed whey?

Maybe even have 2 servings of the above, 1 immediately after and 1 half hour later then resume meals 2 hours after this. From what I’ve read if you dont get things right here this can be very catabolic and I think thats whats happening. :confused:

I’m assuming the maltodextrin would be 20g of protein per scoop? So really it would depend upon your lean body weight to say if that’s to much or if you need more.

If you’re an ectomorph why would you be low carbing?

P.S. Maybe you should buy new troser pants. rofl.

I don’t understand why you dump so much carbohydrate into your body immediately after a workout without a single gram of protein. You essentially cause tears to your muscles and you consume protein a whole hour later?

Read through that thread, it should teach you plenty about workout nutrition.

Alright thanks I think thats the problem then, not enough proteins immediately after to use for repair so my body says fine if you are not going to give us any we are going to suck it out of your legs lmao.

[quote]Wis31 wrote:
I’m assuming the maltodextrin would be 20g of protein per scoop?.[/quote]

no, maltodextrin is just a carb powder.

OP, WP hit it on the head. all you’re taking in is carbs with a very very small amount of BCAAs. you need protien. the main reason to ingest carbs is to spike your insulin to help drive protien and aminos (which you’re not taking) into your muscles.

Alright thanks guys, the reason why I just took carbs was because so called expert on youtube said that all that was needed was carbs to replenish glycogen, I guess hes talking utter shit then, fuck that guy. Is whey fine then post workout along with maltodextrin? I’m sure somewhere I read whey isnt fast enough to take advantage of the insulin shuttling the protein or whatever…this stuffs complicated ahhh.

you could use hydrolized casein (it’s ‘faster’) when whey isolate/concentrate. Also availble in jacked up versions under the peptropro name, and, eventually, Biotest’s version.

But really, ANY protein post-workout is better than nothing. Even, gasp, whole foods, if that’s what you’ve got.

[quote]ect0m0rph wrote:
Alright thanks guys, the reason why I just took carbs was because so called expert on youtube said that all that was needed was carbs to replenish glycogen, I guess hes talking utter shit then, fuck that guy. Is whey fine then post workout along with maltodextrin? I’m sure somewhere I read whey isnt fast enough to take advantage of the insulin shuttling the protein or whatever…this stuffs complicated ahhh.[/quote]

Well, carbs do replenish glycogen, it’s just that you need protein to help repair the muscles PWO.

1. whey’s fine

2. carbs are for glycogen, but that’s not the issue. The question you’re asking is to repair muscles