My 'Old' New Car

lucky you didnt have to pay for a tow to the coast

sooooo does this car have a backseat?..

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

sooooo does this car have a backseat?..[/quote]

Oh it sure does. You can check out the roof if you lay back. Comfy? Then I’ll begin.

[quote]Pluto wrote:
and what is a vectra? a british car i suppose? what would it be like if it was made in north america?[/quote]

It’s an Opel, sold in UK as Vauxhall and made by GM. It would be a Chevy here.

[quote]Renton wrote:
5 years of blood, sweat and money later… Christine was reborn.

Not bad eh?[/quote]

Wow. I mean, wow. Bro, that’s an awesome transformation. I’m not even into cars like some people but that looks really awesome. Good stuff.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Renton wrote:
5 years of blood, sweat and money later… Christine was reborn.

Not bad eh?

Wow. I mean, wow. Bro, that’s an awesome transformation. I’m not even into cars like some people but that looks really awesome. Good stuff.[/quote]

It really did cost a huge amount of money to do but I think it was worth it.

Apparently Christine in the film was supposed to be a 1958 Plymouth Fury.

However Furys were only available in Buckskin Beige with the nastiest interior you ever saw. Stephen King got around that by saying she was a special order.

As you can probably make out, there was some major panel work done on the front end to give the required shape. The paint was mixed to the exact same colour as the original car too which took quite some information gathering to get right.

IIRC she does about 8mpg! Not exactly an eco friendly motor but looking like that who gives a shit?

Ian was actually working on the lump in his garage one afternoon (8.2 Litre) with another 6 Litre beast on the bench and his Marcos LM outside when a candidate for the green party came knocking.

He was about to go into his political spiel and took in what he saw. His words were “I shouldn’t even bother trying should I?” :-)))

For anyone interested, here she is on her first drive on the open roads in over 30 years!

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Lucas lights, right? My first car to work on was a Triumph Spitfire.[/quote]

Don’t knock the Spit! Mine was a 71 Mark IV. Most of the body work was chicken wire and plastic padding, but it didn’t matter because the chassis wasn’t monocoque. As long as all the important pieces are bolted onto the central beam, Robert is your father’s brother.

I loved that little bugger. Top speed of 75 mph, but I drove it top down throughout the Swedish winter (leather helmet and jerkin, all heat on your feet. Give me a winding road and one of those and I’ll be 25 again!