My New Routine, Comments?

[quote]Vikingen Njord wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

I have stalled a bit on 100 kgs for my squat, completing 4/4/4/4/3 , so I am not increasing weight for my squats this week and increasing my rest time as per lift206’s suggestion, it will mean that I have to drop the assistance exercises as I workout at my work place. [/quote]

I’m intrigued why you struggle with 5 x 5 at 100kg if your max is 150kg?[/quote]

I have lost a lot of strength as I developed a pain in my knee last year and have not been squatting heavy this year, but after some physio and improved technique I seem to have improved my knee. [/quote]

So when you say “I currently max”, that was what;s technically known as billy bullshit.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

I have stalled a bit on 100 kgs for my squat, completing 4/4/4/4/3 , so I am not increasing weight for my squats this week and increasing my rest time as per lift206’s suggestion, it will mean that I have to drop the assistance exercises as I workout at my work place. [/quote]

I’m intrigued why you struggle with 5 x 5 at 100kg if your max is 150kg?[/quote]

I have lost a lot of strength as I developed a pain in my knee last year and have not been squatting heavy this year, but after some physio and improved technique I seem to have improved my knee. [/quote]

So when you say “I currently max”, that was what;s technically known as billy bullshit.[/quote]

I am not sure what my “current” max is, but I will find out in a couple of weeks , my personal best for squat is 150kgs though.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

So when you say “I currently max”, that was what;s technically known as billy bullshit.[/quote]

I am not sure what my “current” max is, but I will find out in a couple of weeks , my personal best for squat is 150kgs though. [/quote]

When I had trouble choosing a training max for a program in the past, I used a weight I knew I could for sure hit in two weeks. If I predicted too high, I stalled too quickly and made little if any progress. If I picked lower, I still made gains.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

I am not sure what my “current” max is, but I will find out in a couple of weeks , my personal best for squat is 150kgs though. [/quote]

When I had trouble choosing a training max for a program in the past, I used a weight I knew I could for sure hit in two weeks. If I predicted too high, I stalled too quickly and made little if any progress. If I picked lower, I still made gains. [/quote]

I may not be the strongest, but I’ve always made better progress with a TM that was too low rather than one that’s too high.

EDIT: Using 5/3/1, this may not apply so well with LP programs.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
When I had trouble choosing a training max for a program in the past, I used a weight I knew I could for sure hit in two weeks. If I predicted too high, I stalled too quickly and made little if any progress. If I picked lower, I still made gains. [/quote]

THIS.

Starting conservatively = consistent progress.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:

THIS.

Starting conservatively = consistent progress.[/quote]

Absolutely agree. Much better to train consistently and submaximally. Plus, the longer you train the more accurate an idea you get of what you can reliably hit for any given lift under the worst circumstances possible (I think that’s referred to an as ‘every day max’).

I have changed my workout around a bit and I am now doing my squats and deadlifts on Tuesday and Friday giving my body more time to recover. It seems to work as I successfully completed squat and deadlift 5x5 at 100kgs. I reckon I might start lighter and increase slower next cycle, as per suggestions kindly made.

I have not posted for a while, but I have been been training.

I am currently working out as follows:

Tuesday / Friday - Squat and Deadlift

Wednesday - Pull ups, bent over row and biceps curls

Thursday - Bench press, Overhead barbell press, dips and triceps (close bench/ skull crushers)

Yesterday did I did following reps

Squat

10 reps 60kgs
5 reps 100kgs
5 reps 110kgs
3x3 120kgs
15 reps 60kgs

Deadlift

5 reps 60kgs
5 reps 100kgs
3 reps 120kgs
2 reps 130kgs

Equipment used: knee sleeves for squat.

Your best bet is probably to start a training log

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
Your best bet is probably to start a training log[/quote]

I have followed your advice and after careful consideration have chosen to go with Wendler 531 “big but boring”, I have an app on my phone with his program making it easy to log. Let’s see how it goes

1RM attempts this week. Squat remains at 130kgs, Deadlift 155kgs and Bench 85kgs. All done un-equipped.

Update, I have been following 531 big but boring using an app on my phone since my last post in November. I tested my maxes this week and they have increased to squat 140kg, bench 90kg and Deadlift 165kg.

1 Like

Good work! That’s some decent progress.

Thank you, let’s how long I can keep the momentum going. I am sure the increase will slow down as the weight increases

Another cycle completed with 531. New 1RM Squat 150kg, bench press 92.5 kg and Deadlift 170kg. I have been working on my technique which seems to be paying of.

Why not squat and deads on different days. I may do some light front squats on deadlift day just to get some blood flowing but i doubt I could get much out of either, doing them on the same day. Maybe some RDLs on squat days and sub max front squats before deads on deadlift day. But hey that works for me it may not for you.

You’d be surprised. I had good results doing paused front squats after DL for three months. I’d work up to a heavy a couple of heavy single DLs and then do 5x2 or 10x1 paused front squats at around 75%.

I have started converting my garage to a gym. I have purchased the strength shop bastard bar (https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weights-bars/bars/olympic-bars/strengthshop-bastard-bar-with-centre-knurling.html) and a pair of bumper plates. This will enable to do workouts at home should I not have time at work. I will continue to build on the gym, next is a squat cage and more weights.

New 1RM squat 152.5kg, bench 95kg and Deadlift 170kg. I went for 175kg on Deadlift, which might have been a bit ambitious.

1 Like

I am attending my first Powerlifting meet on 5 Nov , all I need is a singlet and some ipf approved knee sleeves (sbd I reckon). Any suggestions for best preparations?

1 Like