My New Rifle

What are you planning to use the spear against? I’m not mocking it, I know some of my ancestors used to use weapons very similar to that spear. Very classy weapon.

[quote]MattFarlick wrote:
What are you planning to use the spear against? I’m not mocking it, I know some of my ancestors used to use weapons very similar to that spear. Very classy weapon. [/quote]

A spear is always loaded, never jams and has no safety to fumble with.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Damn! That is a nice rifle.

I really like the .308 Winchester cartridge, it’s almost perfect!

How much did the Socom set you back?..if you don’t mind me asking.

Have you tried hi-cap mags?[/quote]

It was about $1500. Expensive, but I think that was a reasonable price for that gun, being as I’ve never really seen them in retail stores for less than $1700, and dealer cost for the gun is about $1200-$1300. I think it was used, though. Some other guy had it and a couple weeks later it came back to the store.

I haven’t got any hi-cap mags for it yet, but would like to get some soon. They’re so expensive though. $50 for a 20 round mag off of Springfield’s site. I think Armalite has them on sale now though, so I might try to get a few.

[quote]MattFarlick wrote:
What are you planning to use the spear against? I’m not mocking it, I know some of my ancestors used to use weapons very similar to that spear. Very classy weapon. [/quote]

I would actually like to try hunting with it. Boar hunting with spears is gaining popularity, but it’s usually done with dogs, and we don’t have any wild boars in North Dakota. So I guess trying deer hunting with it is what I’d like to do. I’m not sure if it’s possible to stalk within thrusting distance of a white-tailed deer, (I think some skilled archers get this close sometimes) but if I ever accomplish that, I will consider myself a much better hunter than I am now. I’m also not sure if it’s legal either.

Haha, yeah man what bullshit. I cant legally have a gun in Holland which I think is crap. So one of the first things I did when I got here is got me one. You gotta love it, very easy to get as well. I was on a student visa, had a temp social security card and an international driving license, can I get a gun? Sure buddy…

Best thing, I did not even pay for it. The kid in the store fucked up and they never took the money out of my account.

[quote]derek wrote:
Very nice. My home defense looks quite similar!

Now get ready for the a-holes that enjoy pissing off lawful gun owners. Many from other countries that are more “civilized” than ours because gun ownership has been made all but illegal there. Whoopie!

“You don’t NEED those”

“The Second Amendment does not apply to citizens”

“You are more likely to get killed with your own gun”

“Guns (via accidents) kill more people than they protect”

And other assorted, patently false and many-times disproven BS…

It’ll come.[/quote]

True but when it comes down to it, I will take the gun and let the other guy have the spear. Plus, if you throw the sucker and miss, you are out of ammo.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
MattFarlick wrote:
What are you planning to use the spear against? I’m not mocking it, I know some of my ancestors used to use weapons very similar to that spear. Very classy weapon.

A spear is always loaded, never jams and has no safety to fumble with.[/quote]

Very nice! I just picked up my new M-4 from Rock River Arms. If you are looking for an AR styled rifle next check them out!

[quote]brads1111 wrote:
Is the bat part of the home defense system? Is it really needed in North Dakota? What goes on there?

(I have an attack bear. He’s very rough and tumble.)[/quote]

Of course the bat is part of the home defense system!! Ha!! I’d feel better about roughing somebody up than shooting them…although I’d hope neither options ever present themselves. It’s true…ND is pretty quiet as far as violent crime goes…which I am thankful for, and a “home defense system” probably isn’t altogether necessary. But you never know…never hurts to be prepared. Had some little punks who threw rocks at our windows the other night and cracked one of them. Dang ruffians…

…and your attack bear looks pretty vicious. I will steer clear if I ever see him.

Sweet gun.A friend of mine has one and they are very accurate and reliable. As for Cold Steel’s products, I have one of their 4" folders and it’s ok for the price. I also have the special forces shovel and it’s a very serious piece of hardware. BTW, is that a Winchester 1300 defender at the bottom?

Wait… which country is it that insists that every home have a rifle (possibly military)? I know they also require that every able-bodied man do a stint in the army.

Bob

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
Haha, yeah man what bullshit. I cant legally have a gun in Holland which I think is crap. So one of the first things I did when I got here is got me one. You gotta love it, very easy to get as well. I was on a student visa, had a temp social security card and an international driving license, can I get a gun? Sure buddy…

Best thing, I did not even pay for it. The kid in the store fucked up and they never took the money out of my account.

derek wrote:

Now get ready for the a-holes that enjoy pissing off lawful gun owners. Many from other countries that are more “civilized” than ours because gun ownership has been made all but illegal there. Whoopie!

“You don’t NEED those”

It’ll come.

[/quote]

[quote]Shaka Zulu wrote:
etaco wrote:
Shaka Zulu wrote:
Home Defense

Where’d ya get the spear?

I got it off of Cold Steel’s website.

It’s called an Assegai. But if you want one you can look for it on other sites and get it waaaaaayy cheaper.
[/quote]

So where’s the shield and your impi costume?

[quote]Shaka Zulu wrote:
MattFarlick wrote:

I would actually like to try hunting with it. Boar hunting with spears is gaining popularity, but it’s usually done with dogs, and we don’t have any wild boars in North Dakota. So I guess trying deer hunting with it is what I’d like to do. I’m not sure if it’s possible to stalk within thrusting distance of a white-tailed deer, (I think some skilled archers get this close sometimes) but if I ever accomplish that, I will consider myself a much better hunter than I am now. I’m also not sure if it’s legal either.
[/quote]

I’ve hunted boar with 12ga. slugs. You have to place the shot well. They are tough animals to bring down.

Dam if your going with a spear you may want to have a few friends nearby with their spears to help out. A wounded boar will slice you up with the tusks.

[quote]TornadoTommy wrote:
BTW, is that a Winchester 1300 defender at the bottom? [/quote]

Yes, it is. The other shotgun is a Benelli M3

[quote]Norwell Bob wrote:
Wait… which country is it that insists that every home have a rifle (possibly military)? I know they also require that every able-bodied man do a stint in the army.
[/quote]

You are thinking of Switzerland. A lot of guns in that country, and not much violent crime either

[quote]hedo wrote:
I’ve hunted boar with 12ga. slugs. You have to place the shot well. They are tough animals to bring down.

Dam if your going with a spear you may want to have a few friends nearby with their spears to help out. A wounded boar will slice you up with the tusks.

[/quote]

Usually the tactics for spear hunting boars involves dogs distracting the boar while the hunter comes up and thrusts the spear. Some guys actually use large knives for this hunting style as well. And you’re right about those tusks, I’ve seen some pictures of guys you have caught one of them on their body while they were hunting…not a pretty sight.

[quote]Shaka Zulu wrote:
MattFarlick wrote:

[/quote]

I have seen videos of this type of hunting. The dggs hold the boar down and you stab it with a spear or knife.

I thought it would be the ultimate sporting test but in reality it is not sporting at all.

If you can do it without the dogs you get my respect.

Being a conservative british type guy i thught id wondered into the wrong thread? What the fucks going on? Its like a tribute to cheesy 80’s war films (maybe commando). You should make a video of yourself getting kitted up to some music. Maybe ‘war’ by edwin star, as a tribute to Arnies scene in commando…

Seriosly though, how many times can you shoot/mame something? Why so many rifles? Do you shoot it then poke it with the stick?

Confused.

Mick.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
If you can do it without the dogs you get my respect.[/quote]

I kind of hold the same opinion about the dogs…although I can see the point. Without the dogs, going mano a mano versus a boar with just a knife or a spear is probably gonna put you in a hurtbag in a hurry. But yeah…if you can stick an animal using nothing but your own skills, I say you are a true hunter, and thus the basis for the appeal of this style of hunting.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Being a conservative british type guy i thught id wondered into the wrong thread? What the fucks going on? Its like a tribute to cheesy 80’s war films (maybe commando). You should make a video of yourself getting kitted up to some music. Maybe ‘war’ by edwin star, as a tribute to Arnies scene in commando…

Seriosly though, how many times can you shoot/mame something? Why so many rifles? Do you shoot it then poke it with the stick?

Confused.

Mick.[/quote]

You can never kill something too dead.

Besides, shooting different types of guns requires different skills. Rifles are great for long range, shotguns for shorter range and tight areas like houses, and pistols are good for quick point and shoot.

Not Holland my friend, if that’s what you thought than you are misinformed. Also, the army thing is a thing off the past and has been for a long time now. In fact even when this was in effect (I think they did away with this in early 90’s but not sure), you did not have to go in if you persued continued education.

[quote]Norwell Bob wrote:

Bob

Amsterdam Animal wrote:

derek wrote:

“You don’t NEED those”

It’ll come.

[/quote]