My New Powerbuilding Routine

I think it looks pretty decent, the only thing I would criticize is A) You have no direct arm work & B) You are using super-sets on some fairly heavy compound movements (IMO/experience super-sets work great if your main goal is fitness OR if you only use them on machines, given that machines require no stabilisation OR on smaller movements like front raises & tricep extensions etc) they are aren’t optimal for strength & size development IMO.

Anyways, my old hybrid/powerbuilding routine used to be:

Push:

Bench press 5 x 3
OHP 5 x 3
Inc DB press 3 x 10-15
DB OHP 3 x 10-15
Tricep movement 4-5 x 7-15

I used to start one work-out with bench & then the next with OHP to ensure equal, smooth progress on both

Pull:

Pull-ups 4 x mostly 1-2 sets shy of failure
Row variation 1 4 x 5-8
Chin ups 3 x failure
Inverted rows 3 x failure
Face-pulls + pull-overs 3-4 x 15 x 30 SUPER-SETTED

Biceps would either be trained later on or the next day

Lower:

Squat 5 x 3 (on kb swing days I’d do three extra sets of squats for: 10,15 & 20 reps).
Deadlift 5 x 3 (dls are only done once every 8 days the rest of time I’d do KB swings for 4-5 sets)
Glute bridges 4 x 10-20
Planks & leg abductions 4 sets

I like it and it’s similar to routines I’ve done before. Couple of little changes I would make but that’s personal preference rather than the make or break of it

Nutrition, progression and consistency need to be right as with absolutely every routine you could do, get them right and you will be fine.

I would do more back volume, with more vertical pulling. Also some trunk/ab work every day. But that’s a personal preference.

My triceps would be so roasted on your OHP day. I don’t know if close grip bench would be worth doing after overhead pressing, benching, and incline pressing.

Another preference but for me, squats would be poor after deadlifting. Maybe a variation like front or zercher squats? Although if you can mentally see the squatting that day as assistance you can probably squat normally without issue. I don’t know if you squat high bar or low bar, but for me low bar would be really uncomfortable to do regularly with the amount of pressing and deadlifting you have planned. Elbow pain can sneak up on you and takes a while to dissipate.

Solid plan though. Will definitely bring progress with food, rest, consistency, and slow weight progression.

1 Like

In my experience, doing 2 main lowerbody barbell compounds was enough to toast me. I couldn’t imagine doing 3 or more of those style of movements in one session. If you can handle it, go for it. I honestly couldn’t imagine Front Squats for sets of 10 after strength training Back Squats and SL DL.

I would add direct glute work in place of some of that other volume from front Squats, SL DL,hack squat etc…

Something else to consider instead of straight extra rep work for OHP and Bench is doing pause sets or pin presses starting/pausing in your weakest point in the lift.

Could train incline flies in place of some that incline benching as to not toast your triceps and shoulders as much.

Just a few thoughts.

You may be superman compared to me, but there’s zero chance I’d make any kind of long term progress doing bench, press, incline bench and dumbbell bench all in the same workout. And then you have press, bench press, incline db press and cgbp all in the other upper body workout? You don’t have to do every movement in every workout or even every week.

Rotate through percentages for the heavy lift 5x5@75%, 3x3, 3-5 singles @90% etc
Ideally do one of these templates…

1 Like

that’s not really crazy… he’s only going on the heavy side with the first lift. the rest are just additional volume. I don’t see a problem with it. I do bench press, dips, overhead press, and tricep db extensions in the same workout all the time, and other similar things. it’s really not that unusual, you don’t have to be superman lol.

these things have almost nothing to do with the program you pick. They are all about how and what you eat. I’m a competitive strongman and train primarily as a powerlifter. I have a 29" waist.

1 Like

For the first time in a while a decent “look at my routine” plan has come up… It is pretty good though to perfect it the OP should follow the some of the advice already given as well as adding in single leg work, direct arm work, and take away some of that horizontal pressing as the volume is nuts. Depends on progress but more back work could be useful if some pressing is removed

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet.

You don’t have to become fat and sloppy for powerlifting or other strength sports for that matter.

In fact, it’s becoming more and more of a detriment that will hold someone back in strength sports to be fat and sloppy.

Most people in PL under 200 who are at least somewhat competitive will be pretty lean.

Yes, fat can give someone more leverage, but 10lb of muscle will move more weight than 10lb of fat.

Except for competition prep, many successful PLers will be as lean as bodybuilders.

The difference is the emphasis BB’s place in proportions. One example is the great focus on creating the V-taper in BB. Whereas the powerlifter won’t care about looking like a thick block if that happens to move the most weight.

1 Like

To be fair, I did ask OP some ‘clarifying questions’ about his goals that may have led him to bring those things up, and while I do agree that diet will matter more than training with respect to those specific goals, I thought it worthwhile to clarify whether “strength” or “aesthetics” would be higher priority…

…because this answer might influence people’s advice on his program. “Powerbuilding” is such a vague term that it’s probably best to get some clarification from the OP if they are looking at a specific strength goal, or if aesthetics matters more than strength…

Definitely wouldn’t superset compounds

yea man I wasn’t referring to you with my post, I was criticizing the OP’s mindset that ‘fat’ and ‘powerlifter’ go hand in hand. It’s a ridiculous, albeit widespread, conception.

1 Like

why? I wouldn’t do it for max effort/ heavy 1 or 2 rep maxes, but for volume work, I do bench or dips supersetted with chins or rows on a regular basis. Like, almost every training session.

It’s not that you can’t. It’s just nof optimal. You want to get the most out of your compounds and get stronger and stronger at them so being fatigued going into them isn’t the best. But If it works for you than it doss

1 Like

this statement is not correct. There’s a million reasons why it is optimal, depending on what your goals are. It’s all about what exercises you superset and why.

Saying “I definitely wouldn’t superset compounds” just means you don’t understand the application of doing so

2 Likes

So you’d say getting 7 reps on a chin up after doing a different compound, can be better than 10 reps going into the set fresh?

So you’d say getting 7 reps on chin-ups directly after doing a different exercise because your fatigued, could be better than getting 10 reps while your fresh?

My bad It said the first reply didn’t unpload so I typed it again

again, depends on a whole host of factors. I stand by my original statement that you don’t understand the application. Pity, because it’s like 2am and I’m too lazy to explain it to you

2 Likes