T Nation

My New Plan Critique

Day 1
Flat bench
Incline Bench
Flies
Decline

Day 2
Barbell curl
Reverse Grip Curl
Squat
Front Squat
step up

Day 3
Tricep Pushdown
Dips
Lateral Raises
Shoulder press

Day 4
Roman dead lift
Seated Row
Pull up/down
Shrugs


The only reason why my day 2 is all biceps is because I’ve been told several times that biceps look terrible compared to my triceps so I’m trying to get them to catch up.

All comments are appreciated. If it looks like too much or that I could be more efficient somewhere, please tell.

Keep in mind I’ll be running/playing basketball and doing core work throughout and on off days.

Thanks.

Bueller? Bueller?

One problem I see off the bat. You are dedicating 15 exercises for your arms, chest and back and only 2 for your legs. Also, you are doing the best bang for your buck exercises in the same workout. I have yet to hear of someone that can train very hard on squats and deads in the same workout. At least you could have a leg day. And example of a leg day would be:

Squat
Romanian Dead

Step Up
Hamstring Curl

Walking Lunges

Instead of making a bicep day I would make a pull day hitting back and bi’s then do 2 sets of bi’s at the beginning of another workout that is furthest away from the pull day. Other people can get the rest.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
One problem I see off the bat. You are dedicating 15 exercises for your arms, chest and back and only 2 for your legs. Also, you are doing the best bang for your buck exercises in the same workout. I have yet to hear of someone that can train very hard on squats and deads in the same workout. At least you could have a leg day. And example of a leg day would be:

Squat
Romanian Dead

Step Up
Hamstring Curl

Walking Lunges

Instead of making a bicep day I would make a pull day hitting back and bi’s then do 2 sets of bi’s at the beginning of another workout that is furthest away from the pull day. Other people can get the rest.[/quote]

One reason I haven’t included much leg work is because I have lots of knee problems. I actually haven’t been squatting very much lately because they’re flaring up. I’ll see how just the squatting goes and then definitely add more if I can.

I see your point on the squat/deadlift comment. I’ll make that change.

Your profile says you have been training for 4 years. What have you done in those 4 years and how have you progressed? What are your current goals? What level lifter are you? Once again, I agree with Alwyn Cosgrove that 95% of the time, 95% of the population of “average” lifters should be doing full-body routines.

I am seeing way too many people posting their body part routines without giving any other information and analyzing their past to see what works and what doesnt. But thats good you posted it so now you can learn.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
Your profile says you have been training for 4 years. What have you done in those 4 years and how have you progressed? What are your current goals? What level lifter are you? Once again, I agree with Alwyn Cosgrove that 95% of the time, 95% of the population of “average” lifters should be doing full-body routines.

I am seeing way too many people posting their body part routines without giving any other information and analyzing their past to see what works and what doesnt. But thats good you posted it so now you can learn.[/quote]

Yeah good point. I’m definitely not a body builder nor am trying to be. I only seriously lifted back when I was in high school and then switched over to triathalon and marathon training so I lost quite a bit of muscle. I took a breif stint where I thought I was going to quit running but gave up on that to run a couple more times, but now I’m done for sure. I’ve only been back into serious lifting for maybe a month.

Right now I’m 5’10-11 and about 195 with, by my best estimate, 15-18% bf.
I’d be happy with 210 and 12% bf.

I have no idea what my maxes are since I haven’t been back into it long, but in HS, 2 years ago my bench max was maybe 260. Squat maybe 360 and deadlift I can’t remember.

I don’t really have the money (college student) to eat like I should be, but I’m trying to make it work.

[quote]slickid wrote:
bruinsdmb wrote:
Your profile says you have been training for 4 years. What have you done in those 4 years and how have you progressed? What are your current goals? What level lifter are you? Once again, I agree with Alwyn Cosgrove that 95% of the time, 95% of the population of “average” lifters should be doing full-body routines.

I am seeing way too many people posting their body part routines without giving any other information and analyzing their past to see what works and what doesnt. But thats good you posted it so now you can learn.

Yeah good point. I’m definitely not a body builder nor am trying to be. I only seriously lifted back when I was in high school and then switched over to triathalon and marathon training so I lost quite a bit of muscle. I took a breif stint where I thought I was going to quit running but gave up on that to run a couple more times, but now I’m done for sure. I’ve only been back into serious lifting for maybe a month.

Right now I’m 5’10-11 and about 195 with, by my best estimate, 15-18% bf.
I’d be happy with 210 and 12% bf.

I have no idea what my maxes are since I haven’t been back into it long, but in HS, 2 years ago my bench max was maybe 260. Squat maybe 360 and deadlift I can’t remember.

I don’t really have the money (college student) to eat like I should be, but I’m trying to make it work.

[/quote]

Thats interesting how you went from lifting to running back to lifting…what made you give up running? It’s good you’re back into lifting though, just go slow and stick to the basics-use a program on this site. Do you have the dining hall meal plan?

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:

Thats interesting how you went from lifting to running back to lifting…what made you give up running? It’s good you’re back into lifting though, just go slow and stick to the basics-use a program on this site. Do you have the dining hall meal plan? [/quote]

I went to the running because I joined the military and wanted to do a marathon and triathalon just so say I’ve done it. I’ve now done it and realized it was a waste of time and now I want to be big haha.

No meal plan, if I did I’d be in there all the time.

[quote]slickid wrote:
bruinsdmb wrote:

Thats interesting how you went from lifting to running back to lifting…what made you give up running? It’s good you’re back into lifting though, just go slow and stick to the basics-use a program on this site. Do you have the dining hall meal plan?

I went to the running because I joined the military and wanted to do a marathon and triathalon just so say I’ve done it. I’ve now done it and realized it was a waste of time and now I want to be big haha.

No meal plan, if I did I’d be in there all the time.
[/quote]
Haha yeah good choice…You’d probably be saving time and money going with the meal plan…I couldn’t live without it

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
slickid wrote:
bruinsdmb wrote:

Thats interesting how you went from lifting to running back to lifting…what made you give up running? It’s good you’re back into lifting though, just go slow and stick to the basics-use a program on this site. Do you have the dining hall meal plan?

I went to the running because I joined the military and wanted to do a marathon and triathalon just so say I’ve done it. I’ve now done it and realized it was a waste of time and now I want to be big haha.

No meal plan, if I did I’d be in there all the time.

Haha yeah good choice…You’d probably be saving time and money going with the meal plan…I couldn’t live without it
[/quote]

I live about 2 miles from my campus so it would be sort of inconvenient anyways.

Updated: Comments appreciated

Day 1
Flat bench
Incline Bench
Flies/Cable X
Decline

Day 2
Barbell curl
Hammer Curl
Iso Curl
Squat/Front Squat
Step ups
Calf Raises

Day 3
Tricep Pushdown
Dips
Lateral Raises
Shoulder press

Day 4
Deadlift
Shrugs
Bent over row
Seated row
Pull down/up

I dont see any changes…?