My Neck

I know exactly where the trapezius runs. It still doesn’t mean that doing conventional shrugs is going to hypertrophy that small area enough to see any major difference in neck size. I do agree with trap exercises to give the illusion of a large neck, if that’s what the poster’s after.

The upper fibers of the traps run along the shoulders and up under the hairline in the back. If you don’t know this, I suggest you take a look at an anatomy book sometime. This is human anatomy and just because some people don’t manage to build thick traps all the way up the back of their necks, it can be done.

If you place your hands at the back of your neck and flex your neck, you can feel the presence of these fibers. No, they won’t help your neck blow up as much as working your neck flexors and extensors, but they do contribute.

If some of you guys would just quit getting so damn angry and instead use your noggin a little, it’d be interesing to see what we’d come up with.

Porkchop, there’s no need to disguise who you’re talking to. I don’t mean to come off sounding like an angry individual, and I don’t think I’ve said anything “angry” in this discussion.

On this issue we disagree, nothing more, nothing less. No need to insult my knowledge of anatomy either.

Doc T, I wasn’t referring to you, just the tone in general of the discussion. I think everyone’s a little right here. Big traps give the ILLUSION of a thick neck, working traps can thicken the neck in the back, but won’t do much for thickness when looking straight on and the most effective ways to build a thick neck are to concentrate on the neck muscles themselves- trying to build a thick neck by only doing trap work is going to result in a pencil neck with gorgeous looking traps.

I just did the “yes/no” exercise tonight and it hurt like hell! That is quite possibly the best neck routine ever. Thanks.

the yes/no could work, but be careful. Are you doing an equal number of reps on your belly as on your back? Most people already have hypertonic SCM muscles. Bridging is excellent. Interesting pissing match nonetheless.

If I understand you correctly, are you advocating 4 total sets of “yes/nos”? Like this:

1st set - on back, bringing chin to chest.

2nd set - face down, bringing, uhhh, back of head to, uhh, upper back (you know what I mean;)

3rd set - on back, rotating head from side to side

4th set - on stomach, rotating head from side to side.

To me, doing two sets of "no's" seemed unncessary. Would you suggest doing two sets of "no's" or just one (and if just one, should I be on my back or stomach?)? Thanks.

I like your handle. In fact, I like it so well that I’ve been using it on the T-forums for months, and registered as a T-Nation member under that name the day that registation opened. In view of that, could you please pick something else to avoid confusion. Thanks.

The original Porkchop

I never did any exercises for my neck and it grew one and a half inches. But I do do shrugs.

Actually no, lying on your back and saying no, despite its similarity to my ex-wife, would still affect the neck flexors. If you are wanting to do some neck work, and I would do these last in your routine, would be to be on your back and perform the yes no, on one side and doing lateral flexion, one ear to one shoulder and then the other side. then on your stomach for the up and down, (yes)and while on your stomach, moving side to side, (no). I would progress oh so slowly on these as well as learn to bridge and do the upper trap work mentioned here. What is your motivator for neck development?

The only excercise I’ve ever done for my neck, and hated every second of it was the following:

Lay on a bench with your neck and head hanging off the end. Place a folded towel on your face, the place a 45 lb plate on top of that. Grab the plate for balance, pull your chin to your chest, then go back until your head is at a 45 degree angle.

Stupid? I thought so, but it worked.

I agree and if you know anything about the human body you will agree…shrugs do build the neck. No argument needed. I love shrugs and I have a thick @ss neck and thats all I do for shrugs.

I’ve done bridges before, and I’m going to incorporate the “yes/no’s” into a small neck routine. I’ll do bridges first, then move to the “yes/no’s.”

As far as my motivation for neck development, I’d say it’s entirely visual/aesthetic.

Shrugs DO build the neck. Just feel someone’s neck as they do shrugs and you will feel all flexors and extensors contracting simultaneously.

I also agree that shruggs increase the neck girth. A few years back I took a year off and went from a 17" neck to a 15 1/2" and back to a 17" again.

My dad just introduced me to a simple set of neck exercises you can easily do w/ a partner in about 5 minutes. He used to play football back in HS and college. He said they always did these before practice and they all had big necks so here it goes: Get on all fours with your partner (yes like you’re about to get it doggystyle) and your partner stands in front of you. His hands will be pushing down on the back of your head while you push back up for 10 seconds. Then have him lock his hands together palms up and put your forehead in them and push down for 10 seconds. After that you will push sideways against his knee for 10 secs, then the other knee. Repeat 3 times. Just thought I’d add this in as another option for neck training. Peace.