My Nalgene is Apparently Killing Me

The way I get my 8 cups of tea a day is to put four tea bags and sometimes some splenda in a nalgene, put in some hot water and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge.

Are there really chemicals leaking out the plastic from the hot water, canceling out the antioxidants, and releasing some chemical that mimics the hormone of estrogen in to my body?

…or is this just with tupperware?

Maybe. How hot is the water? It’s probably not going to kill you, but it’s probably not great for you either.

On a related note, when I make green tea, I’ve just broken down and use the stove, because the microwave can’t get the water hot enough, then when it’s done steeping I throw some ice in it to get it cool, otherwise it tastes bitter and “off”.

Fuck those N bottles!
I use an old cheap glass jar. Problem solved.

Jury is out on the plastics, but there is enough evidence out there to at least make someone think twice. Heating in plastics is a little more cause for concern.

Using glass as often as possible is probably a good policy. Tastes better, too.

There are simply too many others things to be concerned about before I worry about whether my plastic bottle is going to kill me.

Let’s see, the list of things that will kill you now includes:
eggs
barebecue
smog
too much oxygen
too much water
too much sun (but not too little)
plastic
beef
milk (whatever)
carbohydrates
protein
fat
sex
testosterone (fuck it…I’m male)
NSAIDs
Cell Phones
Weight lifting (yes, I have been informed by some health professionals…of which I am one…that “all of that weight will kill me in the gym”)

…and that’s just the short list.

Oh yeah, also worrying about what will kill you will also kill you.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Oh yeah, also worrying about what will kill you will also kill you.[/quote]

And more than likely do it faster than all the other reasons combined.

I don’t heat up any food in plastic containers, but I’ll definitely store food and my shakes in them.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
There are simply too many others things to be concerned about before I worry about whether my plastic bottle is going to kill me.

Let’s see, the list of things that will kill you now too much sun (but not too little)
[/quote]

I think too little sun got added to the list. Lately, I have been hearing that everyone is suffering from Vitamin D deficiencies which can be resolved by spending 10 minutes in the sun each day.

You are right, the list keeps growing. I’m not going to stress over it until someone does a study on people (not rats) that actually has some good results in it. Of course, since most studies are funded by A) a company that will benefit from the results or B) a company that wants to hurt another company with the results, I don’t think that will happen. Yes, A and B equal the same thing. Interesting, isn’t it?

Trust me, I posted this as a slight complaint. I mean Im trying to do something great for my body, get a buttload of antioxidants and have something to drink in class, and suddenly I’m informed that this was useless.

Shit I’m not even microwaving it, its hot tap water!

Dare I even say I throw Splenda in there was once in a while!

And yeah worrying about what will kill you will also kill you faster than anything.

And give you AIDs.