My Modified Bulgarian Program

[quote]Mr_T wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
{Mini-rant}
I said it before on here somewhere but doing some variation of going to a daily max is NOT really Ivan’s “method”.
If you are to believe Brozknows/AverageBroz (I don’t see why not on this issue), the KEY to the Bulgarian method was that it was ridiculously brutal training 3x/day, 6-7days/week.
Sure it was at very high percentages of one’s max, but the key to his success was that he had his lifter do it so often and at a high volume.

Also, imo there is nothing “clever/smart” about the method. Just a brutal trial-by-fire approach to strength training.
Furthermore, Brozknows mentioned that nobody got used/adjusted to the actual “Bulgarian approach”. Those who did it back in the day felt like death all the time (keyword: “dark times”), even with the use of AAS/PEDs.
My point: don’t handwavingly refer to Ivan’s approach when you utilize some form of daily maxes in your training.
{Mini-rant}

My advice: For using the daily max approach follow BrozKnows set/rep scheme or the very similar approach of Norton’s Squat Nemesis. It has the daily max in them + enough back-off volume that I mentioned earlier.
[/quote]

First off, the “ridiculously brutal training 3x per day” was actually 30 minute sessions dedicated to each of the lifts. The front squat, the clean & jerk, the snatch, and the back squat. Generally the lifters performed them in that order for a morning session and a P.M. session.

Furthermore, Ibadjaev has been quoted saying the body can and will adjust to this sort of trauma to the nervous system. Whatever BrozKnowz is saying, while applicable and credible, is like prioritizing a secondary source over THE PRIMARY SOURCE for the system.

Whilst you can claim PEDs and AADs all you’d like, the bulgarian system was not the only system utilizing the drugs at the time and even though many of their lifters were caught for the drugs, t assume that PEDs and AADs are the only reason these lifters were able to survive this system is ludicrous.

Secondly, working up to a daily max is the basis of Ivan’s method…
[/quote]

Brilliant job, mate. Particularly, your utter failure to understand the point I made about AAS/PEDs.

[quote]Curls4Girls wrote:
Dimitykloklov fan, straight up do not listen to the responses in this thread.

“it wont work, over training, not enough.”

I personally run a modified Bulgarian program. I am currently at 5 x week. I do not discuss my split personally because it was designed by a weightlifting coach.

I will say that I work up to a TRUE max every time I step into the gym. I bench many times a week (a lot more than people would suggest) and doing so (maxing out on the different bench variations multiple times a week) has brought my max from low 300 to mid 400 in months I also squat and pull several x a week and have progressed significantly in both of those lifts.

I only total in the 1700s as low 200lb lifter but have seen much success with the bulgarian method.

I recommend you start your days off as just Squat-bench (day1) Bench-DL (day 2) and continue those until you are ready for 4x week. This way one week you bench 3x squat 2x pull 1x. The next week you bench 3x squat 1x and pull 2x.

Make sure your technique is perfect, which im hoping it is close to from running sheiko. If done correctly this method is far superior to others imo.

GL. C4G[/quote]

C4G thanks for the great input however I’m a little iffy of pulling 2x a week especially for a true max. Perhaps speed pulls?

Honestly, speed pulls would be better than nothing, but it escapes the purpose. One of Ivan’s main theories was the extreme difference of muscle breakdown/memory and strength gains from working with 90% of your training max and up versus the weights you see in programs like Sheiko ect of mostly in the 80% range.

Its incredible what the body can adapt to. Pulling to a max 2x week sounded crazy to me at first as well but I am currently shooting for a 45lb + DL PR in two weeks from what I was pulling 4 months ago. Since moving from a more volume based program to the bulgarian method my total has already increased by over 100lbs since May. keeping in mind that I was already a CMS titled lifter so would not equate these to “nooby gains”

OP: you may want to Google “Nemesis squat program” and/or weightlifting academy for some interesting ideas on bulgarian-style program.

Nice posts by Curls4Girls here. Definitely smart advice.

Thanks for the knowledge bomb C4G. Real interested in hearing more from you though, particularly on how you would structure back off sets.

What’s your opinion on this? Particularly on working up to 1-5RM.

[quote]Doh wrote:
Thanks for the knowledge bomb C4G. Real interested in hearing more from you though, particularly on how you would structure back off sets.

What’s your opinion on this? Particularly on working up to 1-5RM.[/quote]

The back off sets really depend on where you are at in programming and how many x a week your programing is currently at. The back off sets are also commonly used a lot when the lifter misses his/her max lift for that day 2 x.

For example, If you are new to the Bulgarian method and are only training 3 x a week you can do a back off set after every main lifts max set. usually you drop down to 90% and do 2-3 doubles.
Also remember that PL has a much more intense eccentric than Oly does, so I do not recommend taking a failed attempt more than 2 x in that day.

Once you get to 4-6x a week you will find the back off sets are not as necessary. Because once your body adapts to the intensity of the program as long as you are following the numbers and not getting greedy you will barely miss. You also wont feel the need for back off sets one you are squatting benching and pulling so many times a week.

Anyhow, as stated all of my drop off sets are done at 90% and with the amount of training I am doing they are usually reserved for days where I either have a lot of extra energy or if a top set was missed 2 x that day. Versus the Bulgarians in Oly lifting being able to take a lift to 8+ attempts

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Nice posts by Curls4Girls here. Definitely smart advice.[/quote]

thanks.

[quote]Doh wrote:

The back off sets really depend on where you are at in programming and how many x a week your programing is currently at. The back off sets are also commonly used a lot when the lifter misses his/her max lift for that day 2 x.

For example, If you are new to the Bulgarian method and are only training 3 x a week you can do a back off set after every main lifts max set. usually you drop down to 90% and do 2-3 doubles.
Also remember that PL has a much more intense eccentric than Oly does, so I do not recommend taking a failed attempt more than 2 x in that day.

Once you get to 4-6x a week you will find the back off sets are not as necessary. Because once your body adapts to the intensity of the program as long as you are following the numbers and not getting greedy you will barely miss. You also wont feel the need for back off sets one you are squatting benching and pulling so many times a week.

Anyhow, as stated all of my drop off sets are done at 90% and with the amount of training I am doing they are usually reserved for days where I either have a lot of extra energy or if a top set was missed 2 x that day. Versus the Bulgarians in Oly lifting being able to take a lift to 8+ attempts[/quote]

So normally, you will ramp a weight up to the daily 1RM and be done with the exercise for the day?

Thought I’d give my thoughts as I am now planning to utilise this method once some sport and exam commitments are out of the way (probably spring/summer after my next meet).
I plan to train 6 days a week, as follows:

Sun
AM
SQ+BE
Build to 80% (or until bar speed slows noticeably) as a primer session.
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max then add back offs by feel
Upper back

Mon
AM
Off
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs
Upper back or curls for elbow health

Tue
AM
Speed pulls for singles (conventional)
PM
S.Sumo DL to max + back offs
Press to max and back offs

Wed
AM
Off
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs
Upper back

Thu
AM
SQ+BE to 80%
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs
Upper back or curls

Fri
AM
Speed pulls (conventional DL)
PM
Press to max + back offs
Upper back

Sat
AM
Rest
PM
Rest

I believe that deadlifts, especially sumo, are less stressful than people make out, especially if the “max” reached is more like 90-95% for a single.
Primer sessions are used in the mornings before some evening maximum sessions to prepare the body by loosening the muscles and also to rehearse technique.

“Peri-workout” nutrition will be used for evening sessions, but should not be necessary for primer sessions.
Plyometrics can be added to the primer sessions or even as a warm up utilising potentiation.
Recovery methods such as foam rolling will be used as needed (i.e. every other hour!).
Every three or four weeks, training will be reduced to four days with no back offs, just for that week.

Note: I do not intend to be silly and say that any stimulants or mental preparation/arousal should be avoided. I’ll just be sensible, maybe a cup of coffee and some visualisation techniques, but no ephedrine and wall punching, lol.
I feel that, more important than this, excessive strain and grinding of lifts should be avoided most of the time, as this is the most stressful part of a true max. Deadlift sessions will end when the bar starts to get painfully slow or form is lost.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge C4G. I came across an article that I posted up here but was taken down by a mod(sigh) which provided a good outline on Bulgarian Method training and how to organize your own template and pretty much echoed your words. Now in regards to the programme he gave two options:

Day 1
Squat
Press
Pull

Day 2
Pull
Press
Pull

He recommends that on Day 1 for pulling you do some kind or vertical or horizontal pulling(i.e Chins, Kroc Rows) and on the second day the first and second pull could be either deads or chins respectively. He does suggest to use a variant(s) but keep it minimal and use ones that will have a carryover to your technique,strength,etc. So far this is what I came up with

Day 1
Squat-Work up to daily max+ back off sets
Press-Bench to max+back off sets
Pull-Chins, Rows or Face Pulls…nothing that will take away from my recovery

Day 2
Pull- Max on deadlift for first week then utilize a 3 week waved periodized speed pulls based on max for 55%, 60%, and 65% and repeat cycle.
Press-Close grip, incline or press variant to max+back off sets.
Pull-Rows or Chins

Day 3
Same as Monday.

The wave loading I’ll be using will be three weeks max with fourth week being light to still allow the body to adapt but prepare it for the next wave. Again suggestions and criticisms welcome.

[quote]DmitryKlokovFan wrote:
Thanks for sharing your knowledge C4G. I came across an article that I posted up here but was taken down by a mod(sigh) which provided a good outline on Bulgarian Method training and how to organize your own template and pretty much echoed your words.
[/quote]

Got a little phrase I could google to find this article you mention? Thanks.

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge C4G. I came across an article that I posted up here but was taken down by a mod(sigh) which provided a good outline on Bulgarian Method training and how to organize your own template and pretty much echoed your words.
[/quote]

Got a little phrase I could google to find this article you mention? Thanks.[/quote]

Google “Bulgarian style training” and click on the first link.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge C4G. I came across an article that I posted up here but was taken down by a mod(sigh) which provided a good outline on Bulgarian Method training and how to organize your own template and pretty much echoed your words. Now in regards to the programme he gave two options:

Day 1
Squat
Press
Pull

Day 2
Pull
Press
Pull

He recommends that on Day 1 for pulling you do some kind or vertical or horizontal pulling(i.e Chins, Kroc Rows) and on the second day the first and second pull could be either deads or chins respectively. He does suggest to use a variant(s) but keep it minimal and use ones that will have a carryover to your technique,strength,etc. So far this is what I came up with

Day 1
Squat-Work up to daily max+ back off sets
Press-Bench to max+back off sets
Pull-Chins, Rows or Face Pulls…nothing that will take away from my recovery

Day 2
Pull- Max on deadlift for first week then utilize a 3 week waved periodized speed pulls based on max for 55%, 60%, and 65% and repeat cycle.
Press-Close grip, incline or press variant to max+back off sets.
Pull-Rows or Chins

Day 3
Same as Monday.

The wave loading I’ll be using will be three weeks max with fourth week being light to still allow the body to adapt but prepare it for the next wave. Again suggestions and criticisms welcome.
[/quote]

I think the accessory pull work is fine as long as your recovery handles it. I do however think you need to allow the squat and DL max days to rotate.

Week 1
Day 1 Bench up to max, back off sets
Pull up to max, back off sets
Accessory work.

Day 2 Squat to max, back off sets, bench to max, back off sets, accessory

Day 3 = day 1.

Week 2
day 1 Squat to max, back off, bench to max, back off, accessory
day 2 bench to max, back off, pull to max, back off, accessory
day 3 = day 1.

This allows you to bench 3x week, and either pull or squat 2x week. A good version until you are ready for 4x week + I recommend the 3x week for people new to the intensity. In this method you do not work up to 95% and call it quits. It is all about numbers, you ALWAYS pr.

I also feel it should always be squat bench or bench pull. Keeping the lifts in their competition order, squatting deeply, pausing benches, ect.

[quote]halcj wrote:
Thought I’d give my thoughts as I am now planning to utilise this method once some sport and exam commitments are out of the way (probably spring/summer after my next meet).

Sun
AM
SQ+BE
PM
SQ+BE
Upper back

Mon
AM
Off
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs

Tue
AM
PM

Wed
AM
Off
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs
Upper back

Thu
AM
SQ+BE to 80%
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs
Upper back or curls

Fri
AM
PM
Press to max + back offs
Upper back

Sat
AM
Rest
PM
Rest[/quote]

Only comments = Bulgarian method is very number specific. Not by feel. You may not “feel” like you can squat up to a max pr that day, but you either hit it, or you fail 2x and start back off sets. This “by feel” crap is pointless.

Secondly, if you are new to this method 6x a week is not the answer.

[quote]Doh wrote:

[quote]Doh wrote:

Anyhow, as stated all of my drop off sets are done at 90% and with the amount of training I am doing they are usually reserved for days where I either have a lot of extra energy or if a top set was missed 2 x that day. Versus the Bulgarians in Oly lifting being able to take a lift to 8+ attempts[/quote]

So normally, you will ramp a weight up to the daily 1RM and be done with the exercise for the day?
[/quote]

Day 1: A1: Squat up to max, I do reps up to 90% then its singles, usually 90 95 101 or whatever, then back off sets, 3x2@90% or something. I am now done with squatting for that day.
A2: Bench (always competition paused) reps up to 90, (90x1 95x1 101x1) back off, 3x2@90%
I now do some accessory if I have time/energy, if not it will be done the next day or later in the day.

[quote]halcj wrote:

Sun
AM
SQ+BE
PM
SQ+BE
Upper back

Mon
AM
Off
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs

Tue
AM
PM

Wed
AM
Off
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs
Upper back

Thu
AM
SQ+BE to 80%
PM
SQ+BE
Build to max + back offs
Upper back or curls

Fri
AM
PM
Press to max + back offs
Upper back

Sat
AM
Rest
PM
Rest[/quote]

Only comments = Bulgarian method is very number specific. Not by feel. You may not “feel” like you can squat up to a max pr that day, but you either hit it, or you fail 2x and start back off sets. This “by feel” crap is pointless.

Secondly, if you are new to this method 6x a week is not the answer.
[/quote]

Noted, “by feel” really meant by speed/form and also based on the max lift achieved that day.
The plan was to build up to this over about 8 weeks. I currently squat 3-4x and deadlift 3x per week.

What kind of accessory work do you do? Rep schemes? I’m normally pretty drained after the main work sets.