My Modified Bulgarian Program

[quote]DmitryKlokovFan wrote:
First off, I know in the past there have been a number of threads asking how to apply Abadjiev’s principles to powerlifting, so please keep the flaming to yourself.

Anyways I’m currently running Sheiko(#37) and have contemplated switching to something with less volume but higher intensity. I’ve studied and read the many articles written on Ivan and the main principle behind his training program. As such I’ve come up with my own modified version of it that will be done 3x a week since I’m currently going to school. The volume, intensity, sets/reps will all be in accordance to Prilepin’s Chart. Without further ado, here it is

Monday

Squat-Work up to daily max followed by back off sets for singles, 2-3 sets at 90% of max
5-6 minute break
Bench-Same as squat
Accessory work-Some light face pulls/band pull aparts to balance bench

Wednesday
Deadlift-Work Up to daily max followed by back off sets for singles at 90%
5-6 minute break
Bench-Work up to 90% of Monday’s max for singles for 2-3 sets.
Accessory work

Friday
Squat-Work up to 95% of Monday’s max for singles, 2-3 sets.
5-6 minute break
Bench-Same as squat
Accessory Work

As you can see its still pretty rudimentary at the moment. Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms are all welcome[/quote]

You’re going to run into problems stressing your CNS doing this week to week at 90% plus. If you are looking to increase your intensity and shorten your workouts I would suggest conjugate periodization or something similar.

Good forum post here that gets to the point.

To add, you do not need any bands or chains to do any of this. If your speed work feels light with straight weight, up the percentage a bit till you feel it is working. You should start dreading the last few sets, but keep your speed up. Personally I don’t shy away from my speed work being too heavy (70-80% range with straight weight.) It is talked about that you don’t want your bar speed to be too slow, but I find that if I work at weights were I tend to get slower (70-80%) and make them faster, I get faster pushing near max or max weight.