My Metallica Has Died

this thread is great. i’m a HUGE Metallica fan. i’ve yet to have a Metallica experience, though; still waiting for my first concert. it’s great reading about all of these experiences, though.

on a side note, oddly enough, the album that first sparked my interest in Metallica was ReLoad, specifically “The Unforgiven II,” so, needless to say, when I heard everything before The Black Album, I was numb.

Sanitarium
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Harvester of Sorrow
Master of Puppets
…And Justice for All
Battery
One
Seek and Destroy
Hit the Lights
and the list goes on and on…

Yea man, I used to think Metallica was the greatest. I everything from the Black Album back. I loved Master of Puppets. Ride the lightning and kill em all were also good.

Oh, hete is an article on where they sued Napster:

I used to mee them backstage after the concert. Back when they did Justice for all tour, they would come out back and meet anyone that cared to wait long enough for them to come out. They were really cool then.

Then after they cut their hair, I found Rammstein :slight_smile:

Sorry for your loss.

Two Metallica memories:

1. Hearing “no life til leather” in Johnny Z’s flea market stand before they came to the east coast (and sent Dave Mustaine home).

2. Seeing them open for Venom in Staten Island before people were done with Venom. Metallica stole the show and Venom pissed off the fire marshalls

[quote]jarvis wrote:
comedypedro wrote:

Download Festival '04 Lars was sick and couldnt play so a few other drummers from the bill filled in, including Slayers Dave Lombardo playing Battery and Horsemen!! Metallica and Slayer onstage at the same time, thats fucking rock history right there!! Joey Jordison of Slipknot played a load of tunes with them too which was also sweet.

I was there too, the set was monumental. I had my most metal moment ever during Fade to Black (the only track on which, drum tech, Flemming Larsen played).

It rained only during that song. To one side of the stage cooling towers from Nottingham nuclear power station were visible whilst on the other there was an embankment full of fans holding flames to the sky. Then, a plane flew about 150 metres over the top of the stage to land at East Midlands airport about 1.5 miles behind it.

Metallica were so damn loud that you couldn’t hear the jet engines.

That is metal.

[/quote]

Yeah man I remember the rain during Fade and planes are always part of the Donnington experience (not so much fun at 6 AM though!), that was one amazing day.

Dimebag & Damageplan on the main stage, Slayer in the tent and I got right to the front, then Metallica & friends!!

The most metal day of my life!!

The first concert I went to was Metallica’s An Evening With at the LSU assembly center in 92. To this day it was the loudest I’ve been to. My jeans shook as the music played. Nothing but Metallica for nearly three hours. Awesome.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Metallica died a long time ago. I have a small glimmer of hope for the new album, but for it to be good Lars has to have absolutely nothing to do with it…and that isn’t likely to happen.[/quote]

there is a new album on the horizon?

The first time I had sex I was 16 years old and popped “Master of Puppets” onto the stylin 8-track/cassette adapter I had in my 76 Buick. I think I lasted about halfway through “Battery” which included about 10 seconds of actual penetration. 25 years later that’s still some embarrassing shit.

The intro to “For Whom the Bell The Bell Tolls” IMO is the the baddest ass riff in the history of metal. “Justice” was still good but I think it was all downhill after Cliff died.

[quote]plasticman wrote:

“Justice” was still good but I think it was all downhill after Cliff died. [/quote]

Indeed it was. Justice was the last good album. Man, what they would have been if Cliff never died. But then again, it seems Dave Mustaine had a hand in making a lot of their earlier albums.

The band was just awesome, and anyone that has seen them live will probably agree putting on a better show is nearly impossible. Just thinking about it makes me want to go see them again.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
plasticman wrote:

“Justice” was still good but I think it was all downhill after Cliff died.

Indeed it was. Justice was the last good album. Man, what they would have been if Cliff never died. But then again, it seems Dave Mustaine had a hand in making a lot of their earlier albums.

The band was just awesome, and anyone that has seen them live will probably agree putting on a better show is nearly impossible. Just thinking about it makes me want to go see them again. [/quote]

“The Mechanic” definetly beats “The Four Horsemen”.

I too saw the Donington gig with the rent-a-drummer, and it was pretty good stuff, even if it did delay Slayer by an hour.

Saw them this year at Donington again, and they sucked. They did the whole Master Of Puppets album and it had no energy at all. Even Robert Trujilo had given up monkeying around stage - which was a shame as he was great when he first joined the band, I guess he was stealing the show?

Metallica should have quit when Burton died, they ruled as a Thrash Metal band, as is the greatness of Thrash.

Call me old, but I thought Metallica died when they decided to do that video. They were all about NOT doing them. I eventually fell for Justice, but then they sucked until Anger. I saw them 2 summers ago at giant stadium and they still kick my ass.
Just my opinion.

For my 16th birthday, my parents gave me a $35 dollar gift certificate to a local record store. It was exactly enough money to pick up Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets. I put them in the stereo when I got home and have never been the same since then.

Saw then live twice:

First time was with Guns and Roses. They added a show in LA due to the popularity of that concert. That was supposedly the one where James Hatfield got too close to some pyrotechnics and burned himself. He couldn’t play rhythm guitar for many more shows.

However, at this concert, he played rhythm guitar for the encore. Man, that show was electric!

The other time was when they came to LA again and did a festival seating with 3 other bands. The band before Metallica was Suicidal Tendencies.

There were spontanious mosh pits and I even remember a flaming chair somehow being thrown about the Cal State Domingeus (Sp?) Hills outdoor staduim.

Their stage energy was awesome!

AD

[quote]The Beast wrote:
Petedacook wrote:

“The Mechanic” definetly beats “The Four Horsemen”.

I too saw the Donington gig with the rent-a-drummer, and it was pretty good stuff, even if it did delay Slayer by an hour.

Saw them this year at Donington again, and they sucked. They did the whole Master Of Puppets album and it had no energy at all. Even Robert Trujilo had given up monkeying around stage - which was a shame as he was great when he first joined the band, I guess he was stealing the show?

Metallica should have quit when Burton died, they ruled as a Thrash Metal band, as is the greatness of Thrash.
[/quote]

As far as I know it was Slayers equipment that was late arriving causing the delay.

Have to disagree, I thought this years set was amazing although now that you mention it, Rob didnt do the Crab-Monster Stomp or the spinning around thing quite as much as usual.

Fuck it, its 'tallica, seeing them is always going to be special.

Colucci, looks like the Gods of Strong Words have heard your cries of anguish today.

So tear me open but beware, There’s things inside without a care…
“Until It Sleeps,” Metallica

That’s one of my favourite Metallica songs, by the way.