My Metallica Has Died


Moment of silence please. I think it was 1989, I saw the video for One on MTV (they used to play music videos, you know.) I immediately knew I had to get that album. I went out right away and purchased And Justice For All on tape. It was the first album I ever purchased.

I must’ve listened to it five times a day for the first month, and then at least once a day for the next few months. I even used to whistle the melodies (I had a whistling phase), which pissed off my metalhead friend, to no end.

Point being, this cassette tape brought me much happiness and was the first music I turned to when I needed to vent frustrations. The tape snapped yesterday, so it is no more. Above is a picture of the corpse, taken last night.

Feel free to discuss your fondest Metallica memories below.

[center]When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths,
which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of salvation take me home.
[/center]

That’s easy it was Giants Stadium Summer of '92. Metallica made Guns and Roses look like a bunch of amateurs. Metallica came, they played, and they stole the night.

By the way my first Metallica album was “Kill em All” bought it at Mother’s Music in Patchogue,NY sometime around '89.

My favourite Metallica memory was at a Pantera concert not long after the release of Load.

Phil goes “What do you all think of the new Metallica album?”

Everyone cheered.

He goes “Your supposed to boo!”

Everyone cheered again. A little pocket of the crowd started the Metallica chant, then it seemed like the whole crowd was doing it.

Metallica stole the show and they weren’t even in the country.

[quote]Boot wrote:
That’s easy it was Giants Stadium Summer of '92. Metallica made Guns and Roses look like a bunch of amateurs. Metallica came, they played, and they stole the night.

By the way my first Metallica album was “Kill em All” bought it at Mother’s Music in Patchogue,NY sometime around '89.[/quote]

That tour was easily my favorite Metallica moment. And one of my favorite concert moments period. They rocked from beginning to end, Axl was made a fool, and the stadium was fucking mayhem. I just wish Metallica had closed out the show b/c having GNR finish was kinda a letdown.

[quote]jjblaze wrote:
Boot wrote:
That’s easy it was Giants Stadium Summer of '92. Metallica made Guns and Roses look like a bunch of amateurs. Metallica came, they played, and they stole the night.

By the way my first Metallica album was “Kill em All” bought it at Mother’s Music in Patchogue,NY sometime around '89.

That tour was easily my favorite Metallica moment. And one of my favorite concert moments period. They rocked from beginning to end, Axl was made a fool, and the stadium was fucking mayhem. I just wish Metallica had closed out the show b/c having GNR finish was kinda a letdown.[/quote]

Blasphemy!! I love metallica, but GNR any ol’ day of the week. I never understood why they toured together. They were both enormous at the time, but they were different genres of music. Guns and a band like Aerosmith is a good mix, but Metallica? Metallica should be with Pantera and the like.

Just seemed odd to me. Whenever I am in a Metallica mood I usually have no urge to listen to Guns and Roses.

Funny, my Justice tape died a similar death about 10 years ago!!

Couple of cool Metallica moments to share:

Download Festival '04 Lars was sick and couldnt play so a few other drummers from the bill filled in, including Slayers Dave Lombardo playing Battery and Horsemen!! Metallica and Slayer onstage at the same time, thats fucking rock history right there!! Joey Jordison of Slipknot played a load of tunes with them too which was also sweet.

At the same festival this year they came played the entire Puppets album from start to finish which was equally amazing.

Metallica died a long time ago. I have a small glimmer of hope for the new album, but for it to be good Lars has to have absolutely nothing to do with it…and that isn’t likely to happen.

I have bought justice for all several times. Tapes just dont last, and CD’s get destroyed over time. I have bought several of their albums numerous times over the years.

It was a slap in my face when they cut their hair, and produced their first main stream album. What was it? The Black album or whatever?

Then, they practically spit in my face when I find out Ulrich is heading the prosecution of a 12 year old girl (not sure of her age?) for downloading their music from Napster. It seems he headed a law suit against Napster or some crap.

As many times as I have bought their god dam albums because when they get a few years of use on them, they go bad, and these multi millionaires are crying about some downloads.

They still have a place in my music collection, as well as my memories, but dam they really let me down ovr the years.

Also, met them a few times, they were not so call the last time I met them, something like 1999.

I saw Metallica on the first Monsters of Rock tour. Saw them that next January (3rd Row!) on the Justice tour. I couldn’t hear for a week after that!

[quote]comedypedro wrote:
Funny, my Justice tape died a similar death about 10 years ago!!

Couple of cool Metallica moments to share:

Download Festival '04 Lars was sick and couldnt play so a few other drummers from the bill filled in, including Slayers Dave Lombardo playing Battery and Horsemen!! Metallica and Slayer onstage at the same time, thats fucking rock history right there!! Joey Jordison of Slipknot played a load of tunes with them too which was also sweet.

At the same festival this year they came played the entire Puppets album from start to finish which was equally amazing.[/quote]

I’ve heard some of the songs that Jordison played with them and he fuckin killed it!!!

[quote]comedypedro wrote:
Funny, my Justice tape died a similar death about 10 years ago!!

Couple of cool Metallica moments to share:

Download Festival '04 Lars was sick and couldnt play so a few other drummers from the bill filled in, including Slayers Dave Lombardo playing Battery and Horsemen!! Metallica and Slayer onstage at the same time, thats fucking rock history right there!! Joey Jordison of Slipknot played a load of tunes with them too which was also sweet.

At the same festival this year they came played the entire Puppets album from start to finish which was equally amazing.[/quote]

- YouTube Jordison

- YouTube Lombardo

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
I have bought justice for all several times. Tapes just dont last, and CD’s get destroyed over time. I have bought several of their albums numerous times over the years.

It was a slap in my face when they cut their hair, and produced their first main stream album. What was it? The Black album or whatever?

Then, they practically spit in my face when I find out Ulrich is heading the prosecution of a 12 year old girl (not sure of her age?) for downloading their music from Napster. It seems he headed a law suit against Napster or some crap.

As many times as I have bought their god dam albums because when they get a few years of use on them, they go bad, and these multi millionaires are crying about some downloads.

They still have a place in my music collection, as well as my memories, but dam they really let me down ovr the years.

Also, met them a few times, they were not so call the last time I met them, something like 1999.

[/quote]

Don’t think they ever prosecuted or intended to prosecute any fans.

He said he had the names of some individuals who downloads their music. It was definitely a slap in the face though.

I always thought Lars was a bit overrated anyway. I’ve seen them at least 10 times live and he’s been woeful everytime. I suppose any hack would sounds half decent on drums when you’re playing with two for the most talented individuals ever to pick up a guitar (how James Hetfield can down stroke that hard whilst signing is truly breathtaking).

In fact I think the slow dumbing down of their material over the last 15 years has had a lot to do with Lars and his inability to play some of their more complex stuff on stage properly.

Why don’t you just fix the tape?

(Superglue/tape the ends together. Just makes sure it’s in line so it goes round the spools.)

Big Day Out, Sydney. Metallica playing under the open sky, with a lightning storm above. Just the fucking coolest thing i have ever seen. Closely followed by meeting disturbed in their first Oz concert, in this tiny little venue (the metro (i know i know) ).

=)

[quote]comedypedro wrote:

Download Festival '04 Lars was sick and couldnt play so a few other drummers from the bill filled in, including Slayers Dave Lombardo playing Battery and Horsemen!! Metallica and Slayer onstage at the same time, thats fucking rock history right there!! Joey Jordison of Slipknot played a load of tunes with them too which was also sweet.
[/quote]

I was there too, the set was monumental. I had my most metal moment ever during Fade to Black (the only track on which, drum tech, Flemming Larsen played).

It rained only during that song. To one side of the stage cooling towers from Nottingham nuclear power station were visible whilst on the other there was an embankment full of fans holding flames to the sky. Then, a plane flew about 150 metres over the top of the stage to land at East Midlands airport about 1.5 miles behind it.

Metallica were so damn loud that you couldn’t hear the jet engines.

That is metal.

Go in peace fair cassette. You’ve done well in your time on this planet.

muttering under breath “the father, the son, and the holy spirit”

I actually started listening to them when the Black Album came out. I like all their stuff that album and before (especially Ride The Lightning), but some of their later songs were ok. St. Anger however was a traveshamockery. I transfer maybe one or two songs to my iPod and trashed the CD.

I’ve never been to a Metallica concert, but heres my favorite moment-

In eleventh grade, the team is preparing the gym for a match. We got the mats rolled out and started gofing off and shooting some takedowns. I stuck my Master of Puppets tape in to the gyms PA system deck and cued up Damage Inc.

The team went ballistic and we started thrashing each other on the matts. The enthusiasm carried over in to the meet and the visiting team got destroyed.

Master of Puppets became the pre match warm up music.

[quote]Shaved wrote:
jjblaze wrote:
Boot wrote:
That’s easy it was Giants Stadium Summer of '92. Metallica made Guns and Roses look like a bunch of amateurs. Metallica came, they played, and they stole the night.

By the way my first Metallica album was “Kill em All” bought it at Mother’s Music in Patchogue,NY sometime around '89.

That tour was easily my favorite Metallica moment. And one of my favorite concert moments period. They rocked from beginning to end, Axl was made a fool, and the stadium was fucking mayhem. I just wish Metallica had closed out the show b/c having GNR finish was kinda a letdown.

Blasphemy!! I love metallica, but GNR any ol’ day of the week. I never understood why they toured together. They were both enormous at the time, but they were different genres of music. Guns and a band like Aerosmith is a good mix, but Metallica? Metallica should be with Pantera and the like.

Just seemed odd to me. Whenever I am in a Metallica mood I usually have no urge to listen to Guns and Roses.

[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong, I love GNR and think they would have been one of the greatest bands ever had Axl not caused their implosion, and I haven’t particularly liked Metallica since the black album. But at that point in time, on that night, Metallica DESTROYED them. There was no comparison. Hetfield did a ridiculously sick “Seek and Destroy” and all the old favorites were great, whereas GNR came on stage WAY late, Axl kept fucking up lyrics, and he really didn’t seem like he wanted to be there. It was retarded. All he did was suck all the energy out of the stadium, all the energy that Metallica had generated.

why didn’t your PM me didn’t you see my name? I had to change it from shorteststraw cause everyone thought I
was talking about myself.

I first saw metallica back in 1986 at the trubador in Los angeles. My babysitter took me to this small concert in LA. Fuck they rock. I also remember staying up late watching head bangers ball the ONE video left a lasting impression on me.

anything after the black album sucks.

And justice for all
Ride The Lighting
Master Of Puppets

are some of the greatest rock albums of all time.

People forget how metallica shaped metal as we know it. It was the carbon copy winger, white snake bands that were ruling back then. They destroyed them.

I wish they would go back to an apt in SF, do drugs, drink, fight, get mad and write some good shit, cause they fucking suck now!

SOme of my favorite songs are,
Harvestor of sorrow
Shortest Straw
One
Whom The Bell tolls
Sanitarium

Great thread! My favourite Metallica moment happened in 1992 and 2004, both huge outdoor shows with around 40 000 people.

In 2004 it just seemed like a 80s show with tons of songs off Master, Ride, and Kill’em All. Aahhh. At last Metaliica was back!

Biggest mosh pit I’d ever been in. The ground was dry and clouds of dust flew everywhere. When I came home and I looked at myself in the mirror I was covered with earth that had stuck to my sweat. I sneezed black dirt for the next two days. Good times.