My Legs-Push-Pull-Off-Repeat Routine

Iv done strenght routines for the last 2 years and decided to do a size orientated routine, i got alot of free time at the moment and i always wanted to try this routine, check it out:

Goal= Muscle mass.

Legs-Push-Pull-Off-Repeat, + taking a deload every 5th cycle.

Legs:

Squat 4x6-8
SumoDL 4x4-6 / SLDL 4x8-10 (alternate)
Leggpress 4x8-10
Legcurl 3x10-12
Calve raise 3x10-12
Cable crunch 3x10-12

Push:

Benchpress 4x6-8
MP 4x8-10
Inline DDpress 4x8-10
Side raise 3x10-12
Pushdown 3x10-12

Pull:

Bor 4x6-8
Pullups 4x8-10
DDrow 4x8-10
Shrugs/rear delt 3x10-12
BBcurl 3x10-12

Suggestions?

do it, make adjustments as you go, I know myself and KB realize we make a lot of progress on routines like this but also burn out faster…

SO, it would probably be a good idea to regularly schedule active deloads every maybe 6ish weeks or so and scale back your…volume, frequency, or intensity, or a combination of any of those. :slight_smile:

Good luck I like these routines.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
do it, make adjustments as you go, I know myself and KB realize we make a lot of progress on routines like this but also burn out faster…

SO, it would probably be a good idea to regularly schedule active deloads every maybe 6ish weeks or so and scale back your…volume, frequency, or intensity, or a combination of any of those. :slight_smile:

Good luck I like these routines.[/quote]

Oh yes thanx, i forgot to mention i take a deload every 5th cycle

Very similar to my routine and I like it a lot.

Regarding legs day: One thing I found was that my squat and DL was going up, but my legs weren’t appreciably increasing in size. By the time you get to your first dedicated leg movement - the leg press - you’re so gassed from the squats and sumos that you’re not able to go as hard as you need to on the press.

I got around this by programming different rep ranges for my squats and DLs. For example, I might do heavy triples this week for my squat but do sets of 10 in the DL. Likewise, the following leg day, I might do 4 sets of 8 squats but do heavy doubles in the DL.

I think you have a good push/pull/legs routine, but don’t be afraid to play around with the order of exercises or rep ranges in you’re not seeing the results you want.

I’ve eliminated MP from my routine and don’t miss it.

I’ve added BB Decline and have loved it.

Also, the obvious observation: you’ve got very little direct arm work there.

Also consider lat pulls and youtube John Meadows’ “Stretchers”

Also, for someone that’s been lifting for two years, that might be a pretty low amount of volume. Others can weigh in here.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Very similar to my routine and I like it a lot.

Regarding legs day: One thing I found was that my squat and DL was going up, but my legs weren’t appreciably increasing in size. By the time you get to your first dedicated leg movement - the leg press - you’re so gassed from the squats and sumos that you’re not able to go as hard as you need to on the press.

I got around this by programming different rep ranges for my squats and DLs. For example, I might do heavy triples this week for my squat but do sets of 10 in the DL. Likewise, the following leg day, I might do 4 sets of 8 squats but do heavy doubles in the DL.

I think you have a good push/pull/legs routine, but don’t be afraid to play around with the order of exercises or rep ranges in you’re not seeing the results you want.[/quote]

Okay thanx for the response and advice :wink:

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
I’ve eliminated MP from my routine and don’t miss it.

I’ve added BB Decline and have loved it.

Also, the obvious observation: you’ve got very little direct arm work there.

Also consider lat pulls and youtube John Meadows’ “Stretchers”

Also, for someone that’s been lifting for two years, that might be a pretty low amount of volume. Others can weigh in here.[/quote]

I love MP, and i wanna keep it :P, i have this volume because in studies it shows 40-60 reps per muscle group is optimal, and like 20 reps for the overlapping muscle groups such as arms etc, and keep in mind im doing bodyparts about twice per week.
Also all the pushing movements using my triceps, such as all pulling movements using my biceps:)

I think your arm volume is fine since you are working them out twice a week, but if your arms start to lag do not be afraid of increasing your arm volume or finding a way to focus on them more. :slight_smile:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
I think your arm volume is fine since you are working them out twice a week, but if your arms start to lag do not be afraid of increasing your arm volume or finding a way to focus on them more. :)[/quote]

Yes, i was thinking the same thing, im gonna add volume if i dont see results in it :wink:

Has anyone done a 6 day push/pull/legs split before? Not necessarily 6 days a week but 6 different workouts, 2 for each of the 3 movements. I found this solves the problem of choosing a good lift order, for example 1 leg day starts with squats and the other is anything but squats.

Yes.
In the past I would do a routine like this:

Push A - Pull A - rest - Legs A - rest
Push A - Pull A - rest - Legs A - rest
Push B - Pull B - rest - Legs B - rest

I found that repeating the A workouts twice allowed for better progress and stability in the main lifts, the B days gave me something different and allowed me to not let weak points arise.
Right now I basically cycle Push - Pull - Legs with chest/shldrs - back/traps - legs - arms - and everything seems to be going well with that set-up too.